Beginner Here - Few Questions

Guest OcSnake

Guest OcSnake

Hello Everyone. I'm new to all of this and was looking for a little bit of advice for improving my arm and hand strength. I play Ice Hockey and am mainly working on my grip to improve my wrist and snap shot. I have purchased a CoC Gripper #T and #1. I can completely close the trainer and 'almost' close the #1. I have somewhat small hands (7" from palm to tip of middle finger) and find that to be somewhat of a disadvantage. I also found the checkering to be very sharp and taped it up with some hockey tape. I am looking for some training tips from those of you more experienced than I. Should I use #T and go for high reps? Or what would you do in my situation? Keep in mind that I am doing this for a harder shot. As far as hockey goes, technique is very important for a good shot and I do know and have this. I am now looking for a strength edge. Any other tips on 'any' other excercises would be appreciated... anything, meaning anything that in your opinion would be helpful in my sport as far as shooting goes. Thank you very much.

keep the reps fairly low for strengthening.  also, if you want to stronger wrists you should train them with wrist curls, hammer levering, nail bending, etc.  these will all hammer your wrists and should give you that edge you're lookin for.

When it comes to a big wrist shot or a powerful slap shot, I am part of the game. I don't play hockey anymore (not in a league) but I often go to the rink to have some friendly play.

I used to do a lot of wrist curls. It is the best thing you can do for your shot. 3 times a week, several sets of low reps. It will build forearms like Scott Stevens (New Jersey Devils). I don't know about COC grippers for hockey but I do strap holds and singles on #2 and I'm very close to the #3.

Oen final thing, the most i mportant of all, you have to work on yout technique. A big slap shot is 95% technique and 5% strength. The bottom hand on the stick have to be very low (about 70% of the length of the stick). This way, the puck will stay low and you'll have more weight pushing on the stick. You mption also have to be very quick. And use your legs to the max for weight transfer.

In a contest this winter, I broke 90 mph. I used a very stiff Koho stick. I also did 82 mph with feet fixed, no pre-steps allowed. I should be a natural in sports because I drive a golf ball to 370 regularly and did a few home runs over 450 feet. My tennis serve ain't bad either.

Once again, wrist curls and technique. Look at Al MacInnis and you'll see teh best exemple of power slap shot technique.

Guest baldy

Snake, glad to have you aboard.

Tou, does the wrist flex or does it remain locked when hitting the puck? If it is static then I would think plate curls or plate wrist curl holds would be beneficial as well. However I don't know the mechanics of the game, I do good to even spell "hockey".

The wrist flexes as in a reverse wrist curl. If it doesn't, you have less power and the puck goes off the ice in the crowd (which is not where you want to shoot it and which can be very dangerous).

Plate curls would be great too but be sure to stretch the wrists a lot. Those plate curls stiffen the wrists like nothing else.

Guest OcSnake

Thanks for the replys. jim, I just play in local leagues... I do however play competetive roller hockey and will be attending nationals at the home of the Minnesota Wild this July. Yes Tou, I do know that technique is more important than anything. It's always a good thing to have strength on top of that though. Can you explain the proper technique for the wrist curls you are talking about? Are we talking dumbells here? What would be a good weight to start out at? One more question, can someone explain in detail how to build a wrist roller that is 'mounted' shoulder level. Thanks again for the replys.

OcSnake,

To perform the wrist curl, you could either take a dumbell or a barbell. The barbell is more common. Seat on a bench with your hands on your low thigh. This way, your hands won't go past parallel with the thigh. Grab the barbell with a thumbless grip and flex yoru wrists inside. Start with 100lbs for a coupel of 10 reps sets. You'll rapidly wotk with over 150 and when you'll do it with 200 for 8-10 reps, you'll afraid the goalies.

The best way to mount a wrist roller is to have a pipe (2" or 2 1/2" placed over the supportive pin of a power rack. Set the pin to your chosen height.

Guest OcSnake

Tou, I appreciate your reply. Dumbells may be better for me (for the time being anyway) for storage purposes. I'm assuming your weight recommendations were for the barbell curls. What would you recommend for dumbells? Half that? Also, I don't have access to a power rack. Is there something I could build using studs in the walls? If you have any building ideas on something like this please let me know. Thanks again.