From A 6" G8 To A Red.

gazza

Fellow Benders :D

1st of all to new and experienced alike thanks for the constant motivation you all give myself and others on this awesome forum :bow

Having mostly worked on 6"stock and below i now need to progress from 6"to 7"for a shot at the Red.

Whats the best way to progress from here i can get a G8x6",but living in the UK the stock is not as easy to come by and the G8,s that i have left i dont just want to blast through them,i want to use them wisely.If i lived in the US i could just buy G8,s by the box and do volume,but i dont have that choice.

I have 2x6: G9,s and some of that 6" square stock that Big Steve brought over and Franky tried,but again its 6".

I dont want to go for a Red and not be able to kink it cause of length and not strength/technique as this will probably mentally set me back :D

Also for those that have done them whats the differense in the black conpared to the gold G8,s.

Look forward to my fellow bending warriors comments and cannot wait to give the Reds a ride :D

7" x 1/4" square is a fine intermediate if you've trouble with the kink of 7" bars.

(Soon you'll have some samples. :D )

You should go with 7" stock.

Don't you can get common nails anywhere? (like the 7,6mm nails available here).

Whats with the stock David Horne used for his challenge bars?

Franky

I can get similar stock to Davids challenge bars,but i would then need to test it and it is all over the place a 7" piece would probably be alot harder or alot easier then i would if harder have to start trimming the bars which would then bring me to were i am now :D(no disrespect to David when i say all over the place as he himself had to test each batch of challenge bars he bought. :D )

I had my best progress hitting some volume on the G5s and G8s as a finish. I think for a month or so I was just hitting volume of G5s. I bought a box of 100 and went at it with something like this:

(15) G5s and (3) G8s

Rest

(12) G5s and (4) G8s

Rest

(10)G5s and (6)G8s

See the progression? Then I would hit a day of (20) G5s going for a quick kink, then some HRS 5/16" stock at 7.5" for heavy sets.

But like I said this is what worked for me man. Try it out. I think you will be pleased at what you can do if you hit volume. Seemed a lot like lifting to me man. The progression anyway, not the feel.

-Sean

It really depends on your weakpoint.

If you have a strong kink, and weak crush, if you can bend a grade 8, you most likley can do a red.

If you have stronger crush then kink, this is another story. I would buy about 10 1/4 square fbbc bars to practice, a 7" fbbc is almost a red, if you can bend it with effort to spair your set for a red.

Practice taking the bar higher up under your neck also.