Strengthening the Thumb

paul valpreda

I think it's very important to remember the thumb when training grip. I currently perform pinch lifts with plates and Titans Telegraph Key. Are there any other good exercises to strengthen the thumbs? Any ideas or input is appreciated.

paul

I have heard about softball lifts, but have never seen them done. Can you explain how to perform these?

Thanks

I believe the Rolling Thunder (thick deadlift handle) works the thumb in conjunction with the other fingers.  Hope this helps :)

Add hub lifting to the list.

The gripper-on-a-string exercise may involve the thumb especially more so for small handed people. Most catching type exercises involve the thumb.

Gently swinging an apparatus while holding it in a pinch grip can increase the difficulty of the exercise. Cleaning or even snatching the weight is harder still.

Can anyone clean a 25-pound plate by the hub?

For softball lifts, get a softball, drill a hole through it & stick a spike through the hole & bend it back on itself to make a hook. Then pick weights up with it like you'rs palmng a basketball. You can change the difficulty of it by having more/less of your fingers below the 'equator'. Somebody post a link to Gorilla Hands' page where he's doing one. I'm at school & can't find his website.

I learned of this from, I believe through one of David Horne`s publications. It`s called a "key" pinch. You hold your implement between your thumb and index finger, like you would your house key when unlocking your door.

One of my favorites is a steel washer that is 31/2 inches wide, 3/16th thick and has a hole 11/2 inches in the center. If you go to a hardware store ask for a 11/2in.  flatwasher or any size you might  prefer.

looking at the washer as a clock, at the 6 o`clock position, I drilled a 3/16 in. hole about 1/4in. from the edge. Then I threaded a keychain ring through the 3/16th. Now you can put a snaplink on the keychain ring  and attach it to a loading pin with your weights.. Grab the washer at the top like you would your house key and lift away .. pinching hard as you can!. Your thumb should be straight across the washer and index finger curled on the other side. Just like you are unlocking a door.  Very isolated thumb movement, this one is

Add the G-Rex.  I really like the pinch plates on it and the feel of the movement. Good stuff!  It will blast your thumbs.

Great suggestions! Sometimes methods of training are so simple that I just don't think about them. I'll pick up a washer on the way home today. Too bad I can't do the same with a G-Rex!

Paul,

Here is another "economical" item you might want to consider. Again,this is a spin off of  David Hornes` brick lift. If you have a Home Depot, Lowes or a good home and garden center you will find this item at one of them.

It is called an interlocking paver.. a marriage of a square and octogonal shape made of concrete. It basically looks like a small stop sign with a half a brick. In the octogonal part find the center point and drill a 1/2 inch hole about an inch deep, using a masonary bit. Be sure to drill at a moderste speed so as not to crack the thing. Then you get a 1/2 inch piece of pipe, ( I used 7inches cause that was what was what I had on hand) wash out your drilled hole and let dry ( what a recipe eh) using JB Weld bonding material, bond your pipe in where you drilled your hole and let dry. 5 and 21/2 lb. standard plates fit well on this. The square part measures 31/2 by 31/4 by 31/4. you can work your thumb real well by putting it on top and fingers under the bottom and lifting. Be sure to lock your wrist tight. Another version, is to grip it across the top with thumb on one side and fingers on the other side. Cost? about $10....cheap and effective. Again this is a spin off of David Horne`s brick lift. Good Luck!

I would like to add that David Horne had "real bricks" the 9lb. kind. Very hard to find those! The only ones I have seen are like half the size and 1/3 the weight, thus the version of the octagonal paver came to mind, where you can load it up! Thanks. ( I dunno, maybe it is not all that original ??? )

Anything done with Sorinex's Big Squeeze dumbbell handles will work your thumbs (as well as all other fingers) very hard.

Thanks for all of the tips! It sounds like I need to visit my local hardware store and make some new implements for thumb training. I always think it's good to be creative in training so I'll put some of these ideas to good use.

Tossing a 12 pound shot from hand to hand for reps is good for the thumb.  So is deadlifting the same shot and placing it on an object, such as a chair.  I'm not able to toss a 16 pound shot from hand to hand yet, but I am able to deadlift the 16 pound shot and place it on a chair.  I have found that the toss from hand to hand seems to work much better than the deadlift for improving the thumb's strength.

Are the "Big Squeeze" dumbbell handles thick sleeves that fit over a standard dumbbell handle, or are they the whole dumbbell itself?

Guest skroah

Shotput! What a great idea. They seem to be pretty cheap as well. Just bought a 12 lb one for 20 bucks, w/o shipping though....

I hope I don't punch a hole through the floor....

SKroah

Paul,

The bricks are old engineering bricks I think. They were in the garden when I bought the house (my house was built in 1877). You can make many things to train with, it doesn't have to be an expensive hobby. But it is nice buying professional items as well. Maybe mix both. Go to a scrap yard, building site or tip and you'll find many things to lift and train with.

David

Thanks for the suggestions David. I have picked up some great ideas from you guys here. I think I'll go exploring soon and see what I can find. I don't think you can ever be too creative when it comes to training grip!

paul