The Last 1/4 Inch

Kayum

Any ideas?.....i'm just starting to work my grip....i'm starting on CoC #1...i'm down to the last quarter inch......the #1 is a 140lb to close, how much is left in the last 1/4 inch.....10lbs?...20lbs?.....i'm trying to guage whether it's going to take me a few months to close this bad boy :erm or it just a few lbs away :rock

Yes negatives are best for gaining hand strength. Try to do a timed hold for 5-10 seconds. Then go down a gripper and do 5-8 reps.

Question about negatives, as I'm pretty much in the same boat. Is it just a timed hold with the thing fully closed, or is it a hold even if it opens up on you?

Help the gripper closed with your other hand, then hold it closed, after 10 seconds or so, allow it to slowly open up, resisting it all the way. That's a negative.

For the last 1/4", try strapholds with a leather belt. Hang weight from belt, pinch the end of the belt between the hanldles of your trainer, and then pick it up. Lifting a lot of weight this way will make that last 1/4" much stronger. If you don't have a trainer use a thicker strap, maybe 5/16" thick, and use your #1.

Expect to have that #1 in under a month.

i know that the last little space is the hardest to get, if you have a trainer and a #2 do strap holds and overcrushes with the trainer, then negitives with a #2 or even a super master.

Also even if you don't close the #1 on one of your attempts close it with both hand then try to hold it shut. If you heard of choker closes try them with an hg 250 or something I hear there very good for the last half inch or so.

Edited by mindovermatter

if you file your trainer that will give you more range of motion and it should help with the last 1/4 inch

Hi Kayum,

my rule of thumb on this (got it from Mikael Siversson's posts, I think):

1mm gap = 2% (1 inch = 25.4mm)

thus: 1/4" = 6mm = 12% => you need 17 lbs (0.12 * 140) more power to close the 140 lbs gripper.

Hope this helps,

Gerrit

Help the gripper closed with your other hand, then hold it closed, after 10 seconds or so, allow it to slowly open up, resisting it all the way. That's a negative.

Allow? there's no allow! Fight that bitch for every mm of ground! And as for how much of the (alleged) 140lbs is in the last 1/4 inch? All of it, Baby, grippers get harder with each fraction of an inch.

Allow? there's no allow! Fight that bitch for every mm of ground! And as for how much of the (alleged) 140lbs is in the last 1/4 inch? All of it, Baby, grippers get harder with each fraction of an inch.

this is a good thing to do but doing it all the time might injure your hand, and if you do that your not gonna be doing any negitives for awhile, make sure the welfare of your hand is your #1 priority

Edited by mindovermatter

Any ideas?.....i'm just starting to work my grip....i'm starting on CoC #1...i'm down to the last quarter inch......the #1 is a 140lb to close, how much is left in the last 1/4 inch.....10lbs?...20lbs?.....i'm trying to guage whether it's going to take me a few months to close this bad boy  :erm  or it just a few lbs away  :rock

I was like you with my #2. I had it to about the last 1/8 th inch. I did some long negitive on the #2. about a mounth of training hard I had the #2. When you squezze that #1 scream as load as you can. I listen to some hard rock like Pantera, Metalica and Hatebreed and start slapping my self before I go on any big attemp that involves strength. It seems to help that is when I have done my biggest lifts. Go balls to the Wall Man!

Try holds w/ the #1 and trainer.Strap holds and miscellanous holds.Ive tried everything from strips of paper,quarters,and a couple of poker chips w/ the #1.

Put a nut, like a walnut between the handles of your trainer and try to crack it. Fun and motivating.

None of those sissy nutcrackers for us.

Put a nut, like a walnut between the handles of your trainer and try to crack it. Fun and motivating.

None of those sissy nutcrackers for us.

Excellent tip now in Christmas times! :D

Claes

I like to use my 8# sledge between the handles, and drop THAT onto a walnut.

Crunch.