Bearhug Deadlifts

Guest scott essery

Guest 115-1005574997

Ive heard great things about 20 rep bearhug deadlifts building tremendous levels of lower arm and hand strength in addition to back and overall conditioning.

How are they performed?  what the exact measurements of the aparatus?

Is it true that its Jim Wylies favourit lift?

Very funny Scott ;)

As you well know I hate this lift and have suffered at the hand of Horne on numerous occasions over the last couple of months. We do 20 rep squats on a Friday and barrel lifting on a Sunday, but these exercises pail into insignificance when compare sufering inflicted by the dreaded bearhug deadlift.

Use a steel rod to and collars to secure a number of 15kg plates together (I recommend using 100kg+ for maximum suffering).  Place the assembly on a foam pad or a mat that has some kind of shock absorbing qualities as you will be dropping the weight at some point.  

To perform the lift bend forward from the waist and get you fingers as far around the plates as possible.  Use the forearms to provide extra support and grip on the plates. Squeeze your arms hands and fingers as hard as possible around the plates and lift the weight until the central rod is above knee height.  Lower to the floor and repeat a further 19 times.  

This exercise is not for the faint hearted and I would advise avoiding it at all costs.

Scott,

As for measurements, use 15kg plates, and a steel rod that’s long enough to fit all the plates on.

Jim

Guest 115-1005574997

Jim

:)

Dave Horne has a wonderful ability to create and develop very productive grip and full body lifts.  The snag is they are agonising, torturous  and at home in a medieval dungeon.  I recon this is the only time im ever glad of my back injury, it means i'll never be able to do them!

I can see its very productive though Jim (being as objective as possible) and I doubt many on the board has ever tried them which is why i wanted to highlight the lift.  Do you think (still being objective) its a worthwhile movement that people should try?

Guest baldy

This sounds like a really good lift to train for stonelifting (at least for round stones). Is this actually the case David / Jim?

Also, why 15k / 35 lb plates instead of larger ones (20k / 45 lb)? I bet if I got up and tried the lift instead of typing about it I would find out, but I figured I better ask first.

Guest woody36

Tim, i would imagine it's to increase range of motion,

Viking Power had some pics of him doing this lift with 45's

on his webpage.

Baldy,

Yes, it's perfect for stone lifting, and I have used it a lot in my stone lifting exploits. Use whatever size discs you want to. I've always found these 15" discs good, plus I have plenty of them. This exercise is ironically really helping to sort out my back problem. I use no belt, and it's really strengthening up the back again. Hopefully I will get back to the form I was once in.

David

Scott

If you want to combine a great grip workout with a great lower back and leg exercise, bearhugs are the way to go.  When the poundage's start to increase this lift become incredibly difficult, even to perform one rep.  I believe that Nick McKinless holds the Iron Grip record for this lift of 163kg.  I personally can't imagine ever getting near that sort of weight.  Maybe a few of the guys from the board could like to try it out and see what they can hoist?  Anybody up for the challenge?

Keep forgetting to take my password to work.  I'll sort it out this weekend :).

Guest baldy

Ray, thanks for the link. Between that picture and Jim's description, I think I get the idea now. I will plan on trying this tomorrow. If it works out good I will have to incorporate it into my training on a more permanent basis.

David, do you have any pointers for those who haven't tried this movement yet? Is it OK to touch the plates with your upper arms as well as your hands and forearms, or is that cheating?

Also, I'm glad to hear that your back is getting better.

baldy,

You may have some upper arm touch, especially if  you use bigger plates. Personally I don't. Also don't link your fingers under the weight. The exercise is meant to simulate lifting round stones like in the W.S.M. As Jim says it's a cracking exercise for your grip and back. He loves it really!

David

Guest baldy

David, I didn't get to try it with the plates Saturday as planned. I came in from mowing my lawn and saw my keg sitting there in my garage, so I lifted it in this fashion one time just to feel the movement. I can see where it would really take a lot of static strength in the forearms at higher weights. I will give it a proper go today while I lift. Thanks for all the info.

Guest girevik

So I could take the sleeve part off the end of my Olympic barbell, and put it through a bunch of big plates and put a collar on it, and deadlift that to train for stonelifting? That sounds cool.

Guest baldy

David, I gave the bearhug deadlift a proper go at the end of my workout Sunday. It is a neat movement, I plan to incorporate it into my training after I am done with this 6 week block.

I do have more questions: Is Nick's 163k lift actually the record? Also, when you compete this lift do you use chalk, tacky, rosin, or other substances? I used chalk, but I put it up to my elbows on the inside of my forearms. I don't know if this is fair or not. Lastly, to be a good lift does the retaining bar only have to get between the knees or does it have to go higher?

baldy,

Glad you enjoyed the lift/exercise. Nick's 163k is the Iron Grip record using the same apparatus. I know Nick is lifting more right now in Australia. You can only use chalk on any of our lifts. You can chalk wherever you want! You are right, a good lift is when the retaining bar is above your knees.

David

Guest baldy

I really liked it, you ought to send that one to IronMind and see if they would put it in MILO. I am sure a lot of other people would like to try it. I am going to try to hit it hard in about 6 weeks.

Thanks for all the information, if I do any good with it I will let you know on here. Also, I think there are people here who could really do well with this if they would try it. Some of the really strong powerlifters (Rick, Harlan, Tou, etc) should have the back and leg strength, the crushing chest strength, and the static forearm strength to hold a heavy lift. I know of some others who I think would do well at it too, maybe we can coax them into trying it.

Guest 115-1005574997

Dave

Some awsome photos mate and that concreet 'thing' you made was excelent.  Guess youd have struggled a bit if youd only been training your grip with gripers :)

So whats Nick doing at the moment in the bear hug.... or is that top secret?

For anyone who doesn't know, the 'concrete thing' was a 140k concrete stone that had a bar through the middle to add more weight. Prior to lifting the Blue Stone of Old Hartley I had my stone up to 230k. I'm glad I did this, as I needed that amount of strength- this Old Hartley stone is a monster!

Nick may get up to 200k.

David

It sounds like the retaining bar will hit you in the groin when you perform the lift. Am I picturing this movement completely wrong or do you just have to be extremely careful?

Paul,

The 5' bar was horizontal through the rock, not vertical. Ouch! With the extra weight loaded on either side like normal.

David

Guest baldy

David, I have missed that issue. The mention of the concrete device brings up another quesion, though. Have you had success making your own lifting stone from concrete, and if so how did you mold it?

This was a huge piece of concrete that had a post through it. It was here that I drove the bar through. I haven't made a specific round lifting stone yet, but I think we will be soon.

David

Guest 115-1005574997

Dave

That sounds interesting and I'll have to get a photograph of that for you magazine.

Hope you dont mind me saying but the interview with Richard Sorin is pricless and worth a years subscription on its own.  Anyone who doesnt subscribe cant call themselves a true Grip Fan!! :)