I got my Trainer today

Guest Neal Bates

Guest Neal Bates

I finally got my Trainer from the UPS man this afternoon. I couldn't wait to get it out of the pack and give it a squeeze!   Up until today I've been using a store bought gripper which was getting far too easy. Since I'd been using the cheap gripper and doing strapholds for so long, I was afraid the T would be easy.I shouldn't have worried!The first part of the sweep was easy and then BAM, it practically stopped moving. I managed two reps with my right hand and I closed it once with my left hand. It's a darn good thing I didn't start with the #1 as I had considered.

I couldn't believe how sharp the knurling is on the CoC's! I was in pain after the second rep. My hands are raw now. I actually believe I could get a couple extra reps if it weren't for the knurling digging into my skin. I guess as I train my skin will toughen and it won't be such a problem.

I guess as far as training is concerned I'll do some singles with the T and then strapholds with my old gripper. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Neal,

PS. The Trainer was also double stamped.

Chalk your hands before working with the grippers. Also, I put a lot of chalk on the handles, it softens them. However, when I do strap holds or negatives, I clean the handles so the knurling is as sharp as ti can be.

Work on singles, timed holds and low reps until you can do about 5 reps. Then, shoot in the strap holds.

Welcome Neal!  There's much to learn here, from the very best in grip!  Incidentally, I have come to sadistically enjoy the sharp knurling.  Whenever I try a store-bought, it just slips and slides all over my hand.  Then I wish for the pain and safety of my IM/PDA's.  Hmmm.  Sounds like I may have some issues...

Guest Canthar

Nah no more issues then some of the rest of us. I never use chalk doing anything. When I was climbing alot before I moved, I only used it when the rock was damp. The knurling helps keep my hands tough and also I noticed it helps keep the callouses in check as it scrapes some off every now and then.

Nic

Your hands will get used to it, just give it some time and don't overdue it the skin does need to heal before it gets tougher..

Guest TDOGRPAGE

I remember my 1st time with the grippers.  Its your initation as I like to call it.  Everyone who uses the grippers for the 1st time to train will have very very sore hands.  

Mine were so sore at 1st I had to use a dishrag to get a couple of extra reps in as the pain was intense as the virgin skin on my hands was mangled.  But soon, the pain slowed and then stopped completly as my hands toughened up. Your hands will toughen up soon.  Just take the pain like a man and soon you will be laughing at your friends as they do the gripper for a couple of reps and complain afterwards "####, how do you do that it hurts like ####."  Good luck.

Guest Neal Bates

Thanks guys, glad to be aboard! My skin seems to be adapting already and I'm actually starting to like the feel of the knurling. I'm definitely enjoying my new toy!

Neal,