Terrible Disease spreading in the gym

Guest TDOGRPAGE

Guest TDOGRPAGE

I just wanted everyone to tell me if this terrible disease I am seing more and more in my gym is also present at their gym.  It a grip debilitating desease called Wriststrapoveruses.  

Symptoms include people, often huge guys, using wrist strap for just about any exercise that puts any stress on their grip at all.  Pulldowns etc you name it.  Some people have it so bad they don't take them off the entire workout.  They think it makes them look cool and powerful, but when you are using them for everything, it make you look really stupid.  If you are doing super heavy deadlifts, I might understand, but if you are doing basic pulldowns or shrugs with 100 pound or less dumbells, then you need to work on your grip.  

Has anyone else notice this disease spreading or is it just my gym?

Wait until they wear straps for bench press, shoulders press, triceps pressdown and curls. It always amazes me how most people in the gym have weak grip.

Hey Tou,

This disease you speak of is terrible at my gym. So many guys have these hanging tentacle things around their wrists and they can't pick any weight up unless these tentacles are wrapped around them! I have seen people use their straps to lift a dumbbell from the rack to the floor so they could roll the DB to the workstation being used. I just can't fathom why people are so afraid to work and strengthen their grip. It really makes me sick...

paul

Fortunately this disease hasn't hit my gym yet....hopefully our isolation in Australia will save us!!!!!

There are only 2 guys at my gym who could justifyably wear them - and they rarely do!

I actually saw a kid use straps for squats. I warned him that it might not be the best idea.

Straps, now theres an idea... Not even for heavy deadlifts - such as my most recent 467.5 kg partial :D

this terrible plague is spreading through my school gym like wildfire.  straps and wraps are showing up on everyone, for everything from laterals to overhead presses.  i'm waitin for one of these guys to get too much overhead and have to bail in a hurry, maybe a shoulder out of socket will learn them a thing or two  ;)

To paraphrase AP:  

"I see your straps are strong as mine, maybe stronger."

I think its a mental illness, but it has the potential for high comedy.  A friend had a strap break during a 500 # deadlift and he turned a flip, rotating about the other strap.  He did not land gracefully.

If you are using any sort of device (weight belt, straps, etc.) to compensate for your weight routine, you are essentially telling yourself that you cannot strengthen that body part and that you may, as a result, injury that "protected" body part.

I recently started doing heavy squats WITHOUT a belt.  In the beginning it was painful, and I was sore the day after.  I sucked it up, and kept on training.  I am now doing those same heavy squats without any pain at all!  Your body will adapt; use common sense when you train.  Your body doesn't WANT you to lift heavy weights - you must FORCE it to; mind over matter.

Pain is temporary.... GLORY IS FOREVER!!!!!  :p

This morning at the gym I saw a guy bench-pressing with straps! What I found to be really interesting was when he unloaded the bench, he couldn't even pinch-grip the 45 pound plate he took off. As he tried to grab it and place it on the floor, he dropped it! Shows you what those #### straps will do for you. I think a lot of the guys at my gym wear them as fashion statements as well. I think they must believe that the women like them because so many dudes have them. Plus, they must force your arms out to the sides because all the guys that wear them do the "big" walk! I apologize if I offended any of you strap wearers out there. I find them quite comical.

paul

I use straps sometimes on a curling machine, so

that I can get my hands into the hammer curl

position (my hand does not grasp the curl bar on

the machine)- but I do this to make it harder, not

to aid my grip.

I grasp the loose end of the strap, after it

encircles the handle, so my palms are facing each

other.

Patent pending.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I am going to hear about this, But I use straps on one arm rows. We don't have dumbells heavy enough so I have to load up the 2" handel dumbell with weight. I can't hold enough weight with that handel to make it worth anything for my back. Yes , I am guilty of strap use.

I am going to hear about this, But I use straps on one arm rows. We don't have dumbells heavy enough so I have to load up the 2" handel dumbell with weight. I can't hold enough weight with that handel to make it worth anything for my back. Yes , I am guilty of strap use.

No, no, say it ain't so Harlan!!!  :0  :0  :)

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Well, if it matters, I am useing 220 lbs when I do these. I have done 250 but got away from them for a while. The 2 " bar makes a world of differece. I know on my warm-up set , I can grab a 150 and don't even think about it falling out of my hand. I know a couple years ago when I started doing grip, I could not begain to do that.

No offense meant Harlan,I'm only kidding,I thought I'd liven things up a bit!! You are way stronger than I am! :D

Later

JJ