Calif Iron Grip November 26

Hubgeezer

I just got back from the 280 mile drive from Chatsworth (Northern part of Los Angeles, California). I figured it was time to start a new thread on this.

Here are a few comments:

1. Kevin Meskew put on another fine contest.

2. Kevin Bussi (Handripperman) won the 6 event contest with 3900 plus points, and second place was 3500 or 3600 something.

3. Kevin Bussi Senior (Handgripperdad?) did not compete, but is still a fine fellow.

4. Kevins do well in Chatsworth.

More to come later. Eventually no doubt Kevin (1. above) will provide an Excel spreadsheet showing the full results that can be posted.

In the meantime, go ahead and weigh in, as it is always fun to read this stuff.

Oh yeah:

1. Lots of Chalk

2. No visible Nose Torque or other performance enhancing crap.

3. No one wore headbands or funny hats either. I did however wear a goofy tee

shirt.

4. There were 6 competitors total.

Hubgeezer

I hear you lifted 197 on the RT today? That is great man. I also hear a Kevin did very well on the hub. Perhaps TOO well?? haha

197! Nice work, Hub! Is that a PR?

Lookin' forward to the results!

And a BIG congrats to Handgripperman!

I would like to thank handgripperman and hubgeezer for all their help and encouragement on Sat. I would also like to thank Iron Worrier for holding a great event and for helping to keep our sport growing.

Nice report Mike!

I was ready to come up to the contest with a buddy of mine as i had got my mother in law to stay with my wife,but with my bad luck friday night a pipe /valve under my sink broke and my kitchen was flooded.Got a emergency plumber here but he only temporarily fixed it ( he didn't have the right part)so he had to come back the next morning ,contest day to complete the job.Sorry i missed everyone.

I think i would have given you a run on the wrist roller though Mike as i had been working this event.

Great report Mike. Sounds like you had a lot of fun, and always, took some good notes. BTW, I got the DVD you sent me but I haven't had a chance to check it out.

Dan tells me that he had lots of gas in the tank on 175 in the pinch but 185 felt impossible. For a non-grip guy, getting the proper hand position consistently seems almost impossible. He also laughed about his failure to lift 269 DO on the axle.

Had I known that I was going to have half a day of work on Friday the 25th ahead of time I would have packed the car and been a surprise guest at the contest.

Nice report Hub. I had a great time at the contest. I wish ppl stayed longer to try out some of Kevin's equipment. After the contest, handgripperman ripped a 1500 page korean magazine paper phonebook. After all those events, he still kicked some @$$. Hub, of course, was strong as what everyone described to me. I felt bad that I took too long to show at the contest. I wish we had more ppl there. The more competitors the better. It was cool that handgripperman, meatloaf and I placed 1, 2, and 3 on one event. I could of placed 3rd on the gripper event if I took my 1st attempts my serious and placed the coin properly, then handgripperman, meatloaf, and I would of placed in the same order again. Pizza was good, but gone before everyone knew about it. The candy was good. I took half the bag. The drinks were good as well. Everyone did great and tried there best. I agree with everyone that Dan did great. He's not a grip athlete and he kick @$$. I should of won on the axle, but I burned myself by calling out a weight that was too high and not needed for the victory. The only event that I didn't like at the grip contest was the wrist roller. That thing feels so awkward to move. My favorite event was the plate pinch. Those York plates that Kevin Meskew has are by far the best plates to use for pinching. Well, that's my 2 pennies on this. I hope to do a lot better next yr.

Nice report and some good numbers.

Seems like the events worked well too :)

I'm not clear what the difference is between the claw and the finger tip method tho?

Mike, great report as usual. I do hope some photos turn up. Jim, the claw technique-- having seen Mike do it-- is where the fingers are curled and turned a bit sideways so that the hand indeed looks like a claw--the fingers tend to wrap around the hub more--an advantage is that one might get a bit more surface area of the fingers pulling on the hub. Whereas the finger tip method involves lifting the hub with the fingers all pointed straight down. Mike jump in here if you have a better description.

Congrats to all for some very nice lifts - too bad you all are so far away. Nice write up Mike - you either take notes or have a great memory.

the fingers are curled and turned a bit sideways so that the hand indeed looks like a claw--the fingers tend to wrap around the hub more--an advantage is that one might get a bit more surface area of the fingers pulling on the hub.  Whereas the finger tip method involves lifting the hub with the fingers all pointed straight down. Mike jump in here if you have a better description.

When "Meat Ball" used the "grab" method, aka v-bar method, and I mentioned the "claw" method, someone did mention "finger tips only" style, indicating another method more "pure". I think my fingers are straight up on it when I do it, except my pinky is dragging on the side for more surface area to get covered, and it acts as a stabilizer of sorts. If you curl your fingers like a claw, you will notice that the pinky would not be fitting on the hub, hence I pull it back and use it to go on the side of the device. Bill (Fatboy) used the identical method on Saturday I believe. On a "real hub", you would not be able to use either the claw or the grab, as the hubs are for the most part too shallow to do either, it is more of a finger tip action. So, the IronMind Hub is very different than plate hubs. I had asked Strossen a few months back what type of hub it was based on and basically got the answer that it was inspired by old Yorks but was a device unto itself. He seemed to have an attitude of whatever/however people chose to use it as being A OK with him.

Yes, Climber Chris, I took sketchy notes in my training diary.

"MIKE"

Hubgeezer

Nice synapses Geezer. Your shirt said it all (MiKe the Man the Myth the Legend). You guys should have seen the Geezer keeping up and surpassing athletes half his age. :bow

The results are posted on the other thread, the original one, for this contest. Posted by ironwarrior on December 4, 2005.

Hubgeezer

The results are posted on the other thread, the original one, for this contest. Posted by ironwarrior on December 4, 2005.

Hubgeezer

i saw the post the other day. i can't believed i gained 10lbs after going through piles of food on thanksgiving and after thanksgiving. the pizza after the contest was gone quick as well. thank god, kevin had a bunch of candy to make up for it. too bad the cheese sticks were gone quickly as well.