Straphold ??

Nathan Say

This has been up before, but, in general how much weight can someone use before going up to the next gripper? I think 27.5-32.5 w/#1 would be good enough to close the 2, but how much with the #2 would be good enough to close the #3?

Tom Black is compiling this information. It appears that about 20 lbs on the #2 is about average at the time of first closing the #3. What is missing is the length of the holds. I do not know if it is 20 lbs for 10 sec. Bottom line, it is complete domination of the #2.

-Mike M.

Guest StrongerthanArne

One cannot compare strapholds on a meaningful basis unless one is using the same strap (which we are not). They do differ a lot. I always look for the most slippery strap so I don't have to use so much weight. When I first closed my #3 (which is the easiest out of three I have tried) I could do 3.5 kg for 15 sec. with a very thin and slippery strap. With a regular weight lifting leather strap I could have used more than twice as much weight. I might add that I have also tried a 359ip and a 399 ip PDA and both are considerably easier to close than my 396 ip #3.

StrongerthanArne is right, there is no magic #.  If you can hold 30lbs on a #1, in my opinion, you will eat a #2 alive.  I'm pretty sure I was holding 11lbs for 3 sets of 10 or so with my #2 to close my #3.

• 1 year later...

I can't straphold that well around 6lbs on my #1 for about 8secs yet I have closed a #2 with my left hand

You have a weak crush??

Well I just started working with these a month ago. And am just going to start getting serious this coming week. So if I have a weak crush what am I strong at?? I'm thinkin of filing my #1 I think that would help. Well this of course will be in a few weeks.

If your strap is too thick, you will be able to lift a lot with it. I don't like strapholds also because sometimes I accidentally hold the strap with my closing hand a little which distorts the results. Make sure you are using a paper-thin strap and that your pinkie or palm doesn't contact it.

Well I took somebody's advice and am using a shoe lace