Ft. Worth Grip Contest?

EricMilfeld

I'm thinking of hosting a bona fide contest, perhaps later in the winter or spring time. I'm not keen on doing it if the attendance could be counted on one hand. If you're interested, please post, with any specific dates that would conflict with your personal schedule, so I can avoid a scheduling conflict. Thanks.

You know I'm in. :yikes

I've got 40 hours of vacation time left. So whenever you set it up I'll be there. Hopefully I'll heal all the joints up and start training on all the new stuff you showed me.

If I can help in any way let me know.

Jason \\m//

Hey..that sounds interesting...what events were you thinking of?

I'm thinking two hand pinch, v-bar, a 2.5" thick handle lift, and bending. We'd contest both hands.

I'm interested. Nothin like a butt whoopin to gain experience. :laugh I work for a grocery store and they can get a little picky about letting people off around the holidays, but otherwise I'm good to go.

Hi Eric...I'd love to participate...I'll send a PM of the best dates for me.

Sounds fun if yall don't mind a rookie being around. I'm still pretty new to this grip stuff. If you need any help let me know. I should have my Rolling Thunder in a week or so..if there is any interest in it. What's a good weight for a two hand pinch?

Sounds fun if yall don't mind a rookie being around.  I'm still pretty new to this grip stuff.  If you need any help let me know.  I should have my Rolling Thunder in a week or so..if there is any interest in it.  What's a good weight for a two hand pinch?

Fireman, if you and the others who've expressed interest can make it, we should have a large enough group to make a contest. We'd love to have you join us, regardles of how weak you are. :laugh This is just off the top of my head, but I would say anything over 175 could be considered an excellent pinch. A lift of 150 is still respectable.

Just a little update here. I'm definitely going to purchase one of the Euro v-bars for the competition, so we can all compare ourselves with the best in the world, and possibly make the top 50 list. :)

Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm about 8 hours away so if it was somewhere around April or later I'd drive on down and bring a few friends too.

I'd love to get on the Euro V-bar top 50 list... :D

Speaking of that list, will you be seasoning the v-bar so bigger lifts will be possible? If so, I hope to go over 155 kilograms by then.

That would be super awesome if you could make it, and give me a lesson in v-bar lifting, Ben! Yes, the bar is sure to be caked with several layers of chalk by then, if that's what you mean by seasoning.

Of course I'm in...let me know what I can do to help Eric.

W

Looks like we have a decent amount of interest. So it's all systems go for a contest!

The first thing we'll want to do is select a date.

The event's name is The Show of Hands. My wife finds the name dorky and gay, thereby solidifying my resolve to keep the name. Also, I am going to purchase a Euro pinch apparatus, giving us two disciplines with which to make objective international comparisons. I won't charge a participation fee, as I realise some of us are tight on dough and will be traveling great distances to make the contest. However, I will be spending a substantial amount of money to acquire equipment, food, prizes, and organize the show, so if you're able to donate a small offering it would be appreciated. Well, I'm excited and can hardly wait!

Oh yeh, we'll be using Fat Bastard's "The Crusher" for the rotating thick handle event, and various pieces of Fat Bastard's stock for the bending event. Gripboard rules will be adhered to for bending.

Do we bring our won wraps, or do have a "standard set" we all will use for bending? I have a pair that I received from gamidon, I can bring. Also any other gear or stuff you need ?

Do we bring our won wraps, or do have a "standard set" we all will use for bending?  I have a pair that I received from gamidon, I can bring. Also any other gear or stuff you need ?

Matt, as per Gripboard bending rules, you'll be able to bend with any supple material. So no, there are no "standard" wraps. Your Gamidon wraps are fine, unless of course, they give you special Gamidon bending powers! I will have some leather available at the contest for those who might like to try the stuff I use.

The full name of the contest: The Show of Hands Grip Cup

OK, and there isn't anything you need me to bring?

As we get closer to the contest I'll let you guys know if I need help acquiring any items. But for now, just bring yourself! :)