Euro Equipment Questions

EricMilfeld

I'm considering hosting a grip contest, and am looking into the possibility of purchasing the Euro v-bar and pinch apparatus. Here's my questions, and thanks in advance:

1) Is the v-bar available through Mikael Siversson, and the plate pinch through David Horne?

2) Could those offering the equipment PM me with the total cost, including shipping, to Ft. Worth, TX?

3) Other than the metal and rubber discs, is anything else included with the plate pinch, such as a loading bar or collars? Are the metal discs subject to oxidation? Also, if the loading bar isn't included, are there rules regarding the length or the setup of the same?

4) Can the v-bar be used with olympic sized plates (2 inch hole) in competition?

Also, I think it might be helpful to pin, together in one spot, all of the rules regarding the use of the above equipment in competition. This could include the calibration of the weights procedure, rules of lifting performance, minimum number of lifters requirement, number of allowable attempts, etc. I would be able to pin these once they are made available.

Eric,

1. The v bar is available from Arne Persson of Sweden.

2. I'll pm you the price.

3. You need to get a loading bar and collars. Our loading bar is 30" long, the collars are 75mm long (just under 3"). The discs will rust if you leave them in a moist place. I keep mine in my office with my strength memorabilia.

4. Yes. Calibrated discs is what's important if going for a record.

Here are the rules from the Champions comp.

One Hand Vertical bar Lift

The weight will be positioned between the lifter’s feet. The lifting hand must be no further than 5 cm from the top of the hand to the top of the bar when the lift commences. No locking of the thumb is allowed. The lifter will raise the bar until it is a minimum of 5 centimetres off the ground and then lower down again without loosing the grip. The lifting hand must not touch the legs or body.

I'm sure Mikael will furnish the calibration details. I got my discs calibrated at my local post office, which was very useful for the rest of training as the discs poundages varied quite a bit. There are 4 attempts allowed in the competition.

Re. The minimum number of lifters requirement. Nothing has been voted on so I can't answer this one.

David

The lifting hand must not touch the legs or body.

This obviously refers to the hand only. The forearm above the wrist commonly makes contact with the inside of the thigh to some extent, especially if the lifter is light and the weight is very heavy (see for example Jim's WR lift).

Thanks for the help, guys.