Mark Henry

Roark

The photo of the day at Arnold Classic website is Mark

Henry pushing the Hummer. You get a sense of his size!

arnoldclassic.com/

Mark Henry is huge! Do you remember the powerlifter/strongman O.D. Wilson? He was also very huge and incredibly strong! O.D. was very fun to watch in the World's Strongest Man contests. I wonder if Henry has considered competing in WSM?

paul

Mark Henry won't enter WSM because he & the WWF know he won't win & the WWF won't be able to call him WSM. There was a huge thing on the Diesel Power forum about that exact thing at around the time of the Arnold Classic.

Nathan,

That sounds just like Vince McMahon! I don't think it's right to call Henry the World's Strongest Man, because he isn't! The WWF will do anything for sensationalism. What a crock!

paul

A judge told Bill Kazmaier, "The title of 'World's Strongest Man' is purely descriptive, and does not carry a secondary meaning".   ???

This was after Kaz took a fellow competitor to court after this guy claimed that it was HE and not Kazmaier, was the WSM.

I'm of the opinion that if you win that friggin' contest - YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CALL YOURSELF THE WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN!  :)

Guest woody36

That's what he's saying!

I don't know why people get upset about this,it's a gimmick

nothing more, nothing less, it puts butts on seats to watch

some of the biggest (Wrestling) televised CRAP ever.

Regards

Woody36

Worlds Strongest Man

Woody,

How dare you usurp my title! I will push my Hummer

across the pond and confront you!

Let's not forget that Mark pulled 900+ pounds in a

deadlift in competition, and though I do not follow

powerlifting closely, is it not ture (and may still be)

that only one other man has beaten that amount?

Joe, WSM.

Guest woody36

Joe,

In my humble opinion i think Mr Henry is one of the

strongest individuals to have ever roamed the earth, period!

And though never competing in WSM competition,at least

on paper he has more right to claim Strongest man (totals

wise) than some who have indeed won the title.

He's the modern Louis Cyr.

Based on Mark's combined Olympic and powerlifting totals and also his great grip strength. I would say that he is the strongest man of all time. He has been accused of being lazy and not getting anywhere near his potential. But look what he has achieved anyway. There is no money in any kind of weightlifting or strongman, only in track and field or pro wrestling.

I just think that if Henry uses the title of "World's Strongest Man", he should have to earn it or prove it in some legitimate capacity. I have not heard Gary Frank, (The man with the highest powerlifting total in history) call himself the "World's Strongest Man" just because he has a big total.

Guest John Demchak
Let's not forget that Mark pulled 900+ pounds in a deadlift in competition, and though I do not follow powerlifting closely, is it not ture (and may still be) that only one other man has beaten that amount?

Joe,

Mark is one of six people to have officially deadlifted 900+ pounds.

mark's oly lifts are not really that impressive (at least considering world levels). Mr. H could have won a gold medal in the olympics - if he had competed in about the 62kilo weight class. his powerlifting totals are quite high but they are also not quite world class. his big claim, is that he has the highest 5lift total ever although i bet that some of those oly's could beat it. Powerlifting and weightlifting are also very different from the sport of strongman- one shouldn't be able to claim a grip world championship because they have a strong deadlift... don't get me wrong - Henry is one strong Mo-Fo but the title of WSM must be won in a fair and complete contest where the best are present.

ps who are the others to pull 900+?

Guest John Demchak

900lb Deadlifts:

925 - Gary Heisey, 3/14/92

921.5 - Andy Bolton, 11/10/01

904 - Danny Wohleber, 12/12/82

903.9 - Doyle Kennedy, 4/6/86

903.9 - Mark Henry, 7/16/95

901 - Ed Coan, 7/28/91

John,

Thanks for the list of 900+deadlifters. Interesting to see how

long it has taken for this list to be composed- about 20 years

for this batch of lifters.

Also interesting that at the Arnold, Bolton was unable to

clean or continental even the lighter set of wheels, though he

ranks second on the list.

By this summer, with the exception of Bolton, it will be seven

years since anyone has DL 900+.

Do you have an opinion as to why?

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Mark is a very strong individual. But, there is no way in the world that he could compete in an actual strongman contest. At least what todays strongmen have to do. Maybe back in the 80's but today forget it !  I know and have trained with some of the top strongmen in the USA , Schoonveld,Neese,Coy, Shawn Smith, And big Mark does not have the endurence or the cardio to compete ,period. We are not talking about gym lifts. I am sure some of you remember O.D. Wilson. He would have won if not for one event. In todays game that one event is in almost enery event.

I would like to see a farmers walk against a healthy Phister,Schoonveld, and Henry. Say , around 400 lbs. Max distance.

I think Antonio Krastev could have been placed higher on that supertotal list. In the Weightlifting Encyclopedia it says at his peak he snatched 222.5 (power snatched 200!), c&j'd 265, squatted 410. In Speed & Strength it says he benched 634lbs or 288kg (not very strict though). Lets be VERY conservative about the deadlift. Going by his oly lifts, he was probably capable of a dl of 363 (800lbs). That all adds up to 1548.5kg, almost 100kg more than Henry's.

Guest woody36

Harlan,

You said it yourself,todays strongestman comp is

geared towards cardio/endurance,so does that tell us who

is the strongest or who is the fittest?

There were some good guys competing at the classic,at

mostly pure strength events (please note i said strength)

and he won! It doesn't matter whether he can outrun

Pfister,we're talking strength not stamina.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I understand fully what you are saying. Todays strongman contest  should be called STRENGTH ATHLETE not strongman.

For Roark:

Heisey was built for the deadlift.  I am sure a couple of the others was well.  So, natural selection comes into play.

Another bigger reason?  Bench shirts 10-ply and squat suits 10-ply increasing poundages and thus increasing interest in those lifts (look at the squats and BP's lately put up) and little focus on the deadlift.

And my Louis Simmon's groupies where Simmon's has the philosophy of no regular deadlifts during training.  I am sure on the llist of BEST all-time deadlifters they are not those who don't deadlift in normal training.

Mark Henry's farmer's carry at the Arnold is the Arnold

Classic 'photo of the day' this morning.

As I studied it, this thought came: For those who

assert that Paul Anderson's backlift platform (which

he added to the total as 1,800 lbs) may have been

constructed partly out of railroad ties, then please mentally

reconfigure the ties that Mark is carrying into the shape of a platform. Such a platform would be completely adequate to

hold the other items mentioned in the backlift, but the

platform would be 1,000 lbs less than 1,800 lbs, and STILL

be more platform than was needed. Indeed, HALF of the ties

would serve an an adequate platform, which would weigh in

the neighborhood of 400 to 500 lbs.

Just a thought after seeing Mark carrying these 800 lbs of wood.

Guest John Demchak
By this summer, with the exception of Bolton, it will be seven years since anyone has DL 900+. Do you have an opinion as to why?

I agree with Wannagrip regarding the role of equipment.  Equipment is more advanced (but not to the degree of 10-ply).  And, though there exist deadlift suits, I feel they will never help as much as a squat suit or bench shirt.  The reason is in the nature of the lift it self.  The squat and bench have an eccentric lowering phase which produces stretch on the material to set up for a rebound effect.  The deadlift does not have this.  Plus, if the deadlift suit is too tight, then one cannot get into proper position to start his pull.  Yes, there is some stretch and rebound but not to the degree of squat or bench equipment.

The other factor is in the judging.  There will always be the subjective factors of 'did he go low enough' or 'did he pause long enough'.  The deadlift is far less subjective - basically 'did he pick the weight up'.

Quick moment of pedantry: Wasn't the all time best 925 pounds by Gary Heisey and not Mark and I thought Andy Boltons lift was 917 pounds (calculated from the highest kilo total as per the changes).

If I'm wrong please tell me as I argued a point on this with our very own Dave Webster