Freezing Nails

Dude

This might sound like a dumb question but has anyone tried putting nails/bolts etc... in the freezer to increase their difficulty? I dunno if that would cause them to snap or something along those lines so I figured I'd ask before I try it.

Since you can feel the bend get easier when the nail heats up I wondered if it would increase the difficulty throughout the bend if it was cold.

I've pondered this question, too. I agree that any change in difficulty created by your refrigerator would be marginal. Kind of like how much more difficult will that fly landing on my squat bar make the lift. I say this from personal experience gained by bending in temperatures ranging from freezing to 100 degrees. And yes, the bending bars were stored outdoors (in my garage).

I would guess that you would have to cryogenically freese the metal to have any affect and then you would have handling issues

I have access to a ton of dry ice, lol.

I prime all my stock with a blowtorch right before bending it, I'll try the ice prime next time.

I prime all my stock with a blowtorch right before bending it, I'll try the ice prime next time.

Do you heat until cherry red or lightly singe? :D

Edited by Dude

Do you heat until cherry red or lightly singe? :D

Cherry red, and for some reason my bending strength has gone through the roof! Must be all that wrist work.

Cherry red, and for some reason my bending strength has gone through the roof! Must be all that wrist work.

Depends, are you heating with Mapp gas? If so you may be seeing different gains than most do using a set of torches.

I was gonna say, I'm no scientist (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express), but if you freeze something with dry ice (or maybe it's just liquid nitrogen), doesn't it become brittle enough to shatter like glass? That would be an awesome "trick" if no one knew you did it. Just start bending a huge piece of steel and have it just shatter into a million pieces.

I was gonna say, I'm no scientist (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express), but if you freeze something with dry ice (or maybe it's just liquid nitrogen), doesn't it become brittle enough to shatter like glass?  That would be an awesome "trick" if no one knew you did it.  Just start bending a huge piece of steel and have it just shatter into a million pieces.

I have access to a ton of dry ice, if that was possible it would nuts. Anyone think that wouldd work cause I'd give it a try for a vid, lol.

Am I the only one who is wondering why Dude would have access to one ton of dry ice? Dry Ice blasting? Movie making? A very, very elaborate plan to rule the bending world? I don't know if I can sleep tonight...

Am I the only one who is wondering why Dude would have access to one ton of dry ice? Dry Ice blasting?  Movie making?  A very, very elaborate plan to rule the bending world?  I don't know if I can sleep tonight...

lol my father is an aircraft inspector and they have huge bins of it. Not sure what exactly for. Usually he'll throw a piece in his cooler to keep drinks and food cold.

http://www.efunda.com/processes/heat_treat...ning/direct.cfm

good stuff on hardening. I was trying to figure out how much difference it would make. The overall contraction on a bar is going to be minimal, but more importantly for the mental side- if you stick one in the freezer and melt it down, you know you own it!

I don't think dry ice would get it cold enough to shatter. Couldn't imagine the force it would take?? If it does, we will have cool vid of Ron cutting his neck open :D . Serves you DO benders right!! :fear

i was thinking the same thing the other day, but your right they might snap so what ever :cool

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/thexp.html

Difference in length = 5.5 x 10-5 m (minimal)

I didn't calculate the difference in sheer strength difference

If you let it sit in a cooler and place on top of dry ice it might get cold enough to break (wear gloves). Liquid nitrogen would do it for sure. I don't know if you are serious about trying the dry ice but be careful. Hit it with a hammer first and see if it breaks. Then you would be the second RED nail breaker EVER!! Don't cut your neck. I sound like my mom. It would be fun to see what would happen???

Edited by carusom1

I froze a red, bent it.

Then i bent one at room tempature, I didnt a big diffrence, but it was definatly harder.

how long did you freeze it for?