Grip tools

Guest Euclid

Guest Euclid

So I've got $100 to spend on grip tools.  What do I get?  I've already got some COC's, but nothing else really.  

rolling thunder

hardy handshake

T. telegraph key

wrist roller

anvil

vertical bar

pinch block

plate-loaded Inch bar

I just can't decide what I want.  Any suggestions?

It won't be "official" but you could spend some money at Home Depot and make some of that stuff.  Heath and I made a fake Rolling Thunder that's only slightly easier that the real one, and I think it cost us like 10 dollars.  Also, I made a pretty nice wrist roller with a piece of PVC, an 8 foot piece of strap, and some duct tape.  The most expensive part was the strap, but I would recommend using an old seatbelt if you can get one.  Stronger and free.  

You could probably make a verticle bar with a pice of pipe.  Get one end threaded, and screw a big pipe flange on it.  Maybe evne 2 flanges back to back for extra support.

I've heard mixed reviews about thet hardy handshake, and personally, I don't care for the telegraph key, but that's probably just because I'm so weak on it.  Also, I can't stand using pinch blocks.

The loadable Inch dumbell is a nice piece of equipment.  You can use it for all kinds of stuff.  It would be my recommendation from your list.  Also, I would like to try that Ironmind anvil handle.  It looks like fun.  Does anyone have one?  How is it?

I definitely 2nd the trip to Home Depot.  I made a 2" barbell and 2" farmer's walk implements for $35.  I made a 1" and a 2" vertical bar, as described by Scott, for about $15 total.  You can also use the vertical bar as a lever bar.  I've made a wrist roller for around $10 too.  That would still leave you with $40 and you'd have seven new grip implements.

BC.

C$100 or US$100?  Whatever it is, I'd hit all the places listed in the latest Dino Files & see what they had. I know the place I've got in town has a real life ball & chain the writer wanted. Maybe I could also get a huge I-beam for lifting & pipes I could use as thick bars.  I'd go to a brewery or something & get a keg & barrel. Those aren't just grip tools, but they sure involve grip. Maybe I'd get a #3 or a gripper from PDA (a 429-I'll call it the BOSS ) :p

Guest Reverend

I too must suggest Home Depot.  You might want to think about training for whatever you plan to be doing.  For instance, is pinch gripping something you really want to train at?  For a pinch block, a simple block of wood with an eyebolt screwed in the end, and some nylon cord and maybe some dog clips, and you're able to lift as much weight as you'd ever want to.  PVC pipe and a little imagination will create most of the other items on your list.  That's what I did.

The one exception I made was with the Titan's Telegraph Key.  I admit it, I just friggin' wanted one.  I was amazed at how weak I was at it!  Thumb power is something I need to train for, and this seems to help, although I don't use it as often as I should.  Roark suggested to me that I could hook my thumb over my workbench and jerry-rig something to hold in my hand to simulate the TTK's motion, and just pull it up and down with thumb power, but I decided to blow my Christmas money on an actual TTK.  Hey, that's what makes us men, right?  :blush

All the rest of that stuff I think you could cobble together with a little imagination, but again, if you really want a particular item, go for it!  I'm at the point where I only train for things I'm going to be doing, so if I didn't need the thumb strength, I wouldn't bother.

The Reverend

Maybe one of those places in the Files would have a thick piece of rope that could be hung from a chinup bar. I couldd use that for hanging from.  :)

Use that money to get some USED weight plates, and use those plates on a thick bar.  Weight plates are something that will last a lifetime, and you'll always find a use for them.  I have a "ton" of plates that I use for various lifts, and I move them around depending on what I'm working on.  Just today, I was doing anvil horn lifts, and had some weight plates that I used for that.  Chains and links for lifting also help.  Remember, what you CAN'T make - you can buy from IronMind/PDA/Sorinex, etc.  Lord only knows how much money I've spent on this "grip" hobby!!  :p  :p