attn: Woody and Canthar

Guest Uberman

Guest Uberman

Hey Woody and Canthar, have you guys gotten any horseshoes and given bending them a whirl? If so, give us an update. I haven't bent any in a while I injuried my elbow lifting the back of my truck and have been working around the injury until it heals up. Mike

Guest woody36

Mike,

I got some of varying different sizes and the only way

i could put a dent in one,was to clamp one side down and

twist it around with my arm.

I tried pulling the smaller ones and just kept wrenching my

hands and getting nowhere,i may be lacking upper body

strength (i only train hand/wrists) and this could be a factor,

but i doubt it!

The ones i clamped were about 7-8mm in thickness, the ones

i tried in my hands were about 4-5mm x 4-1/2-5 inch across.

I'm trying to get a couple of pipes for levers to see if i can

bend one that way,i'm not ashamed to say i was beaten

hands down (no pun intended) when it came to these beasts.

Hope your bending gets back on track soon,i think you must

have inherited your Grandfathers genetics!

Regards

Ray.

Guest Uberman

Woody, what is your technique like? Also try bending the shoe about an inch or so in the direction you are trying to bend the shoe, with a clamp or pipe. This may help you get the shoe going, to get training and get some movement. Also keep at it it took me quite a while. I haven't started nail bending yet(with this dang webtv I can pull up Strongmans steel bending discriptions) However, I saw some 1/4"HRS about 5 or 6 feet long at the hardware store and was thinking of getting it, just looking at it got me wantingto give it a try. Even though I could cut it in longer lengths to get started I was wondering it you thought it was to ambitious of me to start there? If so what do you recommend ?  Stick with the shoes, keep me informed and I'll answer any question if you have any. Also I was going to make a workout video for the AAboard once my elbow heals up and put some shoe bending on it, if you want I could send it your way. Mike

Guest woody36

Mike,

I can't honestly see you having any trouble with the

1/4inch diameter steel of any grade (i could be wrong)

bending an horseshoe requires a great deal more effort in

my opinion.

I tried a couple of different ways to bend the shoe,in the

vain hope of seeing some kind of movement,the main one

was off to the side of my body,with the shoe in the crook

of my leg behind the knee,pushing down with my left hand,

and pulling towards with my right.

I'm going to stick at it,maybe just clamping at first to get

me used to the steel,seeing you perform the bend would be

a tremendous help,and there's others on this board would

love to see you if your injuries heal ok and you can get a

tape made.

Email Strongman for advice on your bending,he's a Good Man!

Mike have you had any luck in tracing anymore info on your

Grandfather?

Regards

Ray.

Guest Uberman

Ray,

I am still waiting for my uncle to send the info and pics he has of my granddad. I hope I'm not put on hold forever, I talked to him a while back and he again sad he was going to send the stuff.

I don't think the shoe bending will crossover to directly to nail bending so I'll be starting from scratch.

I did a little shoe work today with out bending still have pain in left bicep on right side bends I may be able to start a little bending on the left side we'll see.

One other thing that got me bending is to put a "C" clamp in the center of the shoe,then lay the "C" clamp flat against outside of your thigh,shoe sticking straight out in front of you. Then try pushing down with one hand and pull up with the other. The "C" clamp will help hold it steady. Mike

Guest Canthar

Havent found anyplace local where I can get any in numbers. There is a horsehoe game area near my in-laws cottage and they have a lot of spares was able to talk them out of two. The first one was in pretty bad shape and fairly thin in bent with a bit of effort (have my doubts as to it being a real horseshoe was prolly a cheapy just made for that game)  the second one and what is definitly a real horshoe I havent gotten to budge yet. I'm not given up gonna go at once a week with everything I can muster if anything I find it as a good excercise just attempting. Any advice as to ways to train for it besides just the attempts? Was thinking steel bending maybe but not sure what type to start with, never tried it before. Will be keeping my eye out for more shoes and letcha know what happens.

Nic

Guest Uberman

Nic,

Keep at it, and diffenently keep us informed.

As far as other stuff to help train for the bend, try the stuff I wrote to Woody above, also shoe bending,atleast the way I do it(since I have to brace) is probably more of a gross body bend than the nail bending, so heavy low reps in basic push and pull movements. Also I like to take a strand off my cable set(have the lifeline blue set) fold it into thirds hold it as close to the shoe technique you use and stretch and hold. Mike

Guest Canthar

Thanks Mike, I'll letcha know what happens. Going to try and get different shoes to give myself alittle variety to try on. Never tried using strands a few people here mentioned them, think I'll look into them once I have some money available to spend.

Nic