Wrist Roller

ProfessorKomodo

I was wondering if using a wrist roller is as efficient for working the extensors as other excersizes, such as the hand opening movements presented in both of John Brookfields grip books. I know the ideal would be to work with them both but I was just wondering if the wrist roller works the extensors in the same way.

Unfortunately Have not yet gotten my hands on some sand so haven't dont any bucket sand extensor work.

One of Brookfield's tips is to use a wrist roller with a long piece of rope attached to heavy weights. Roll it up, dragging the heavy weights across the ground. It really seems to work the forearms hard, depending on the weight used. I like it, and if it has his endorsement, you can be sure it's got benefits.

John Scribner

I was wondering if using a wrist roller is as efficient for working the extensors as other excersizes, such as the hand opening movements presented in both of John Brookfields grip books. I know the ideal would be to work with them both but I was just wondering if the wrist roller works the extensors in the same way.

Unfortunately Have not yet gotten my hands on some sand so haven't dont any bucket sand extensor work.

Why don't use rubber bands for extensor work, like the IM Bands?

I use the IM bands and love them.Their addiciting because their easy not to easy tho its just easy to do to much.still a great exercise tho.

I have both the wrist roller and IM bands.Both are an excellent tool for building strength and staying healthy!As said above, i also believe that anything Mr Brookfield advices us to do is an absolute MUST!

You should do both as your finger extensors are seperate from your forearm extensors. Both are needed for healthy forearms though. You will also see an increase in all your grip lifts if you havent been doing any extensor work before. Fix the imbalance and you will get stronger.

Austin

You should do both as your finger extensors are seperate from your forearm extensors. Both are needed for healthy forearms though. You will also see an increase in all your grip lifts if you havent been doing any extensor work before. Fix the imbalance and you will get stronger.

Austin

Okay, I think that I see the difference now, although in training they both seem to get the top part of my forearm nice and tight.

So Wrist Roller works the forearm extensors and opening the hand against resistance is working a different type of extensor muscle(s) that is also in your forearm?

This is the basis of what I have been wondering, and which I have not been able to figure out through training both kinds of movements.

Edited by ProfessorKomodo

Yep do them both. They do seem to overlap somewhat but I would do both, finger extension work and forearm extensor work. Dont just do reverse wrist curls though do some heavy reverse curls with regular bar, thick bars, tumbless, ez bar etc. Hope this helps!

Austin

I use a 3.5" and a 4.5" wrist roller and the open hand movement FRIES the extensors. Hits the thumb very hard to. I always keep it as a last exercise, my training partner and I use the an elevator method (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ect...) so sometimes it can really be hell (and fun) :flame

Yes, there are two completely different sets of muscles that work extension both of the fingers and the wrist. Your probably feeling the same kind of tightness because they are located in the same area and connect/attach to the same bony land mark at the elbow, same that the wrist and finger flexors attach at the same (other side compared to extensors) body land mark on the elbow.

However, the finger extensors can assist with wrist extension so often both are worked at the same time. This is why the formulator works so well, because it isolates the wrist extensors alone due to the fact that the fingers are in a flexed position. This cuts out just about all of the assistance that the finger extensors add to wrist extension.

Exercises are exericses.

Feats of strength are feats of strength.

Functional tasks are functional tasks.

Overall muscular improvement throughout the flexors and extensors is a start but what about the connective tissues?

The real battle is won within the connective tissues. By bringing up the qualties of your connective tissues through deidicated consistent training over years you will enable yourself to become more proficient through tasks. You need to win that battle.

Listen to your body.

Are there any rules to wrist-rollering? I was gonna try it, but wanted to make sure I do it right. Do you measure complete rotations, or distance the weight is raised? Does it matter if you use zero-stretch rope or a softer cotton weave? Thanks.