New To Bending

Ish

Hey all. I have decided to start bending. I have been reading some on here and went to home depot to pick up some 3/16" round bars. I bought some and I got a 6"x6" pad at a craft store, and I started bending. I cut a few pieces of the round at 6" and 5" and wrapped the leather around it, and it bent pretty easy. I just have a few questions if you could help. First, am I just supposed to wrap the steel competely with the pad, or just each end? Is that size pad too big to use? I'm not sure if I should cut the pad down to a smaller size and use less of it. And if the 3/16 seems easy, should I do some more reps with it, or buy some thicker stuff? Also, I just wrapped the steel up like a burrito like someone said in a thread, and I guess bent it double overhand. Is that correct? Sorry I'm a newb at this, but it's pretty fun, and I'd like to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

First thing read the pinned topics at the top of this section. It has some of the best info around. Also I highly recommend the E-Book on bending. Well worth the $. No you want a space in between your pads.

If you are bending Hot Rolled Steel, try the same lengths with Cold Rolled Steel, or try square stock of the same diameter.

with the pads i would say use two one for each end leaving a small gap in the middle also wrap it as tight as possible. and the steel i would move up to either 3/16 square or 1/4 round

Ish: Here are a few suggestions that will hopefully help.

If you only have one 6"x6" pad, cut it in half or get another one

Is the pad leather or what kind of material is it? The pads I use are approximately 11"x3" double layer denim. Hard to roll tight.

Put the steel about half way into the wrap, or whatever is comfortable, and wrap it up as tightly as possible. Pictures in the article below.

I would move up to 3/16" square. In my opinion there isn't much difference between 3/16" HRS and CRS.

Intensity and speed are key. I just get pissed :angry: off & try my best and then some.

Don't try to progress too quickly. Injuries are possible and likely if you do so.

Check out this article: http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles/gregdavebend2.pdf

It helped me alot. One of the best articles I have ever read. :rock

Hope I helped. If not, let me know and I'll try again.

Later, Jason

Thanks guys. I did read that ebook and it helped alot. I think I'm going to try the beginner program in the ebook for a couple months. I will also go pick up some 3/16 square this week to give it a shot. This is addictive. I bent almost all that I bought from home depot the other day, and almost went back to get some more. It's pretty fun, so I'm going to have to continue this. I appreciate the help. One thing, I see alot of mentions of injuries, and was just wondering what kinds of injuries are common? Are these mostly hand and wrist related, or muscle tears also, like pec and bicep?

shoulder hand and wrist injuries id say.

look in your phonebook under "steel distributors"

phone some places close and ask how much it is for 12 feet of 3/16 and 1/4'' colled rolled steel.

find the cheapest place. it will be a lot cheaper than home depot. it should only cost a couple bucks or less for 12 feet of 1/4'' . 3/16 will be even cheaper.

head in there and buy a bunch. depending on what vehicle you have, you can get them to cut the 12 foot lengths down to 6 feet or 4 feet or 3 feet whatever you need

also what are u using 2 cut the steel?

hacksaws suck u will get tired of them reeeal fast.

if you dont have a pair of bolt cutters get a 2 foot pair. any smaller and its 2 hard too cut, but bigger is overkill and awkward.

but if u have an angle grinder or a chop saw even better :D

Edited by porky