Red Nail Kicking My Ass

AP

I've been battling the red nail and been close for a year now. I got one to about 70 degrees last year - solid initial kink - but I'm still at the same point now. I don't know what's going on, last year I could barely hit a 6" G8 now they are easy. I had a hard enough time with 8" 5/16 HRS then, now I can hit a 6 1/4" 5/16 CRS.

But still the red beats me.

I've started putting 1/8" CRS in with my 5/16s I've hit a 7" 5/16 CRS with this extra steel in it. Tried a Red today, a decent kink in the thing, but I don't want to kink it I want to bend it!

It's the stiffness of the steel that gets me, the FB stock at 8" is beatin me also. Anyone know steel that's stiffer than hardware store CRS? Will ironmind sell me 8" Reds that i could cut down? Do i need to start bending 5 days a week?

I bend old terminator style - I've never liked DO and don't really want to switch. I need some advice, help, inspiration, prayers or something, ANYTHING to get me the red! :help

Ask Oldy. His hands, when looked at directly, will turn you into stone.

Oldy bends Reds so fast, he once told me it is on par with tieing his shoes.

Hit some 5.5in grade 8 bolts, they are very close to a Red in strength. When those get easy hit some 7in 5/16 bolts grade2 and get used to longer length and the red should fall......Brett

the biggest problem I faced when following the Standard progression was that after so much time on 6" and5" stock 7" REDS felt like I was starting in a wide awkward position, I remedied this by exhausting myself on the short stuff like G8 X 6" or 5.5, then used 7" X 5/16th HRS to get some time on a 7" piece but not lose strength on weaker stuff.

Tried a Red today, a decent kink in the thing,

[/quote sounds like me i kinked a red let it set for 3 weeks picked it up and bent it some more . after talking to some guys got the urge to bend and did a red . if you can kink a red you can bend one wrap tighter hit it faster and workout first do some bench presses wait about an 1/2 hour and go bend that red you can do it the first kink is the hardest and you got that done already you will do this :D

Are poeple reading what he wrote? I dont think retelling the stannard progression will do the trick.

I agree with Dan. I would say that if you are taking down 6.25" pieces of CRS from the hardware store, then you have the ability to take down a red. I would say volume is going to be key. Also, what hand position is stopping you? 70 degrees is a solid kink I and would guess that the reverse hand positioning wont give you that much more of the bend. Are you switching to the sweep/crush down hand position and if so, is it those positions that is stopping the bend? A nail bend to 70 degrees isnt about wrist strength or even primarily technique IMO. For me, its all about upper body strength at that point. practice chest crushing super heavy grippers, volume with close to your max bends and it will fall.

I think the chest crushes might help. Have you tried pre-kinking reds (and harder stock) and working backwards? Starting at 70deg then 60 etc. Maybe adding more bending days isn't the answer. How often do you rest? A weeks rest might do some good.

-CHRIS

practice chest crushing super heavy grippers, volume with close to your max bends and it will fall.

i agree on this. volume will be key, here.

I'll throw another option out there for you to consider, AP. Collect several Reds at, or near, your sticking point. When you're fresh and ready, warmup, and then put everything you have into finishing off one of those prekinked Reds. Make a workout out of a battle with one stubborn Red, if you have to. Experiment with slight variations in hand positioning. At that angle you want to grip the life out of it, lock your wrists, tense up your lats, and drive your elbows down towards the ground. I know you already have the stength to do it. After you get it the first time, it'll click for you, and will be oldhat in no time.

After you get it the first time, it'll click for you, and will be oldhat in no time.

Yeah, once I get a piece of steel, I can pretty much get anytime after that.

Great advice guys, I think i might up the volume in a workout (I bend about twice per week so I don't think I'm bending too often). I get the reds kinked just shy of what I usually need to start the crushdown, that's what the prolem is, but I can't get any more with reverse style. Maybe I need to get my crushdown to work at that angle of bend?

I'll try to get some <6" G8s and I will prekink a FB 8" to see if I can work the crushdown on that as the crushdown should e a little easier on that with the extra inch...

oh, ps. Ironmind shot down the request for 8" reds, that's kinda strange... oh well.