Leather Versus Ironmind Pads

bencrush

Big thanks to Gamidon for the leather pads! :bow He's truly a gentleman.

He wrapped up all the stock I bent at the BBB in October. And it made a big difference using the leather pads. Before that contest, I had bent a 6" Grade 5, but had never repeated that performance for some reason.

At the contest I bent a 5.5" Grade 5, which was by far a PR for me. Part of that was the crowd watching, and the bigger part was the leather pads.

I got another PR today with the leather pads. They just arrived in the mail today. So I wrapped up a 6" Grade 5 and bent that. Took some time though.

I chalked the heck out of the pads and then wrapped up a 1/4"X7" SQUARE and killed it. Less than a minute. HUGE PR for me! :D

Then I kinked a 6" Grade 8.

Tried the Red Nail and found out that I could only do isometrics with it. :) It will fall eventually though.

So for anyone considering switching to leather pads, I'd say just do it! They won't make you any stronger, I'm the case in point there, but they will allow you to attack the metal with more ferocity.

Nice work man! Keep it up! :bow

-Sean

Congratulations for your fine personal records, Ben!

It was quite an eye opener when I finally got ahold of some good suede pads. Slippage and tedious wrapping became a thing of the past.

I still cannot find good leather. Ive went to fabric places and what not, no one has any good leather. They hav epatches, but thats it.

I went to Michael's, the craft store, and they have some decent sized pieces of leather and suede. Didn't buy any yet...but I think I will just for a second set.

Congrats Ben, with your ability, you will be bending REDs in no time!

First you started using MMsets to close grippers and now your finally wrapping up with leather. I'm so proud of you :D You're now a full-fledged cheater and I'd just like to say welcome to the club! :D

First you started using MMsets to close grippers and now your finally wrapping up with leather.  I'm so proud of you :D  You're now a full-fledged cheater and I'd just like to say welcome to the club!  :D

Not to mention he uses enough chalk to pull of a fantastic "Scarface" impression if he wanted to. :whacked

He is too humble. He needs to get cocky, get mad at that nail, and rape it (in a metaphorical way of course). After that #3 close, I think the sky's the limit for Ben.

That is where I got mine, Micheals.

that's where I got my first pair of leather pads, as well. bending was so much fun, afterwards.

MuscleTurtle,

If you would like, I can get you some nice leather pads down here in Texas and ship them to you. They are quite easy to come by as we have a leather outlet store. I think you can find them online at Tandy leather or some such .com.

Let me know.

W

Big thanks to Gamidon for the leather pads! :bow   He's truly a gentleman. 

He wrapped up all the stock I bent at the BBB in October.  And it made a big difference using the leather pads.  Before that contest, I had bent a 6" Grade 5, but had never repeated that performance for some reason. 

At the contest I bent a 5.5" Grade 5, which was by far a PR for me.  Part of that was the crowd watching, and the bigger part was the leather pads.

I got another PR today with the leather pads.  They just arrived in the mail today.  So I wrapped up a 6" Grade 5 and bent that.  Took some time though. 

I chalked the heck out of the pads and then wrapped up a 1/4"X7" SQUARE and killed it.  Less than a minute.  HUGE PR for me! :D

Then I kinked a 6" Grade 8. 

Tried the Red Nail and found out that I could only do isometrics with it. :)   It will fall eventually though. 

So for anyone considering switching to leather pads, I'd say just do it!  They won't make you any stronger, I'm the case in point there, but they will allow you to attack the metal with more ferocity.

Bending is as much mental as it is physical. When your pads are slipping or causing you pain you instinctively reduce the amount of force you use and then wonder how you can ever bend something. Unloading into a bar with no fear is when you will get your best bends (as well as biggest injuries :D ) The leather makes wrapping very easy, chalking it makes it grab the nail like glue, I rarely chalk the pads but I do get a small boost when I do. I do chalk my hands when they get sweaty nothing is worse than the feeling of slipping on that leather and watching a whole bunch of skin roll off.

The IM pads when rolled right and chalked can really work for you. They have no give so they really put the force into the nail. I have bent things with them and find that when wrapped right they work great. I just find the wrapping sooooo tedious.

Good luck on the red I am sure it will not be long.

Greg

Edited by gamidon

Is there Anywhere online that leather can be ordered?

Kinda get all sorts of wierd stuff coming up If I search for it on google  :blush

:D try yellow pages for fabric shop in local area,or call in they usually have off cuts of stuff they might let you have for nothing,carpet shops as well!

First you started using MMsets to close grippers and now your finally wrapping up with leather.  I'm so proud of you :D  You're now a full-fledged cheater and I'd just like to say welcome to the club!  :D

ROFL :laugh:laugh:laugh

First you started using MMsets to close grippers and now your finally wrapping up with leather.  I'm so proud of you :D  You're now a full-fledged cheater and I'd just like to say welcome to the club!   :D

ROFL :laugh:laugh:laugh

:D

I wonder how dangerous the IM pads are. I sometimes feel like my forefingers are going to break even with leather if I'm overtrained.

I'm thinking about the IM cert but why not just go to the FBBC since it's tougher and more levels to climb?

I don't know.........I've got a full plate right now.......Armwrestling, deciding if i should cert, messing with horse shoes, driving nails, trying to get a show going :whacked

I'm thinking about the IM cert but why not just go to the FBBC since it's tougher and more levels to climb?

Exactly, not to mention the rules aren't changed on a whim and the steel isn't sharp so it doesn't poke holes in your leather as fast.

I ordered a half a hide of leather off of Ebay for ~$25 (probable 18 months ago) and have made several sets of wraps. I've even given several sets out. I'm almost out of leather now so it's about time to look on Ebay again...

I find that it is much easier to bend bigger metal with my half leather half suede pads. I also seem to be able to wrap them tighter around a nail, bar or bolt then the cordura pads that i have which are very similar to the Im pads.

Are there any regulations about padding for the FBBC Certification?

Are there any regulations about padding for the FBBC Certification?

No. In fact, John told me you can use a pillow if you like. :laugh:rock

I might try the pillow thing soon. :D

I did put a kink in my last Red Nail a few days ago though. Laid it flat on the table and put 3 stacked pennies under one of the ends. Very slight kink but it's a start!

I need to order more Reds...and then some FBBC stock.

• 4 weeks later...

Soon Ben...soon you will have the Red under your control.

-Sean

I might try the pillow thing soon. :D

I did put a kink in my last Red Nail a few days ago though.  Laid it flat on the table and put 3 stacked pennies under one of the ends.  Very slight kink but it's a start! 

I need to order more Reds...and then some FBBC stock.

Good lord Ben you're wasting no time prgressing.