First Bolt

George Champlin

Nice George..maybe a rewrap would have helped!!

Was that a 1/4 x 6 grade 2 Bolt?

Good Job.

2 things i noticed.

Your leather was pretty loose, and it wasnt on the bolt enough.

You want to wrap the bolthead end ahead of time because you cant just stick it in there and expect a snugg fit, put the leather on the floor and step on it with one foot, and wrap twords you. Dont Just roll it up, pull away from you wraping it.

Secondly, It looks like you are using quite a bit of leather, When you use alot of leather, it gets in the way in the crushdown, usualy making it harder. So when you get to the crushdown, try unwraping it a little.

Edited by Oldtime

you will smoke it a lot easier if you had wrapped it better.

tight wraps really make a difference.

it will come with practice, bolts arent the easiest thing to wrap

nice bend

George-

Congrats! I love bending bolts. You're moving up FAST!

If it has 307A marked on the head, it's a 1/4 x 6" grade 2. There's those, grade 5's & a grade 8 in the bag. The thicker bolts with 307A are 5/16 x 6" grade 2's. The grade 5's have 3 raised slashes on the head. The grade 8 has 5 notches & it's gold colored.

George-

Congrats!  I love bending bolts. You're moving up FAST!

If it has 307A marked on the head, it's a 1/4 x 6" grade 2. There's those, grade 5's & a grade 8 in the bag. The thicker bolts with 307A are 5/16 x 6" grade 2's. The grade 5's have 3 raised slashes on the head. The grade 8 has 5 notches & it's gold colored.

Thanks for the info Gator posted this for me

HERE IS HOW TO FIND OUT WHAT YOU ARE BENDING

Click here

Edited by gripperm

Haven't you also bent a 7" piece of 1/4" square? If so, a grade 2 bolt should be a good bit easier than that. Have you tried one of the grade 5 bolts yet? You may be close to getting it.

Haven't you also bent a 7" piece of 1/4" square?  If so, a grade 2 bolt should be a good bit easier than that.  Have you tried one of the grade 5 bolts yet?  You may be close to getting it.

Yes I did bend the 1/4 square I just never bent a bolt before. A 5 scares me. I need to learn how to wrap a bolt better.

1/4 square crs, is close to a rednail.

It's that hard? Sheesh, I have the same bag as George and I was looking at that piece of 1/4" CRS and it looks like it would be a bitch to bend.

Nice George, which bolt was it? I haven't tried any of the harder bolts in the bag yet. Hmmmm....I'll be right back. ;)

you sure it was 1/4 square?

Now I will have to dig the bag out in the morning and take a closer look

Great job for your first bolt. I might make a suggestion that is going help you a lot. When I was watching your bending I noticed you were trying to smash the head of the bolt into your leather(?) and I was thinking this was causing you a lot of heart ache with establishing positive control during the bend. For myself I lay the padding (leather, IM pads) on a table edge and role the bolt head first, making sure to have one to one and a half inches of the bolt in the padding. Then when it is super tight I rubber band it and wrap the other side and then bend away. I think you will find the bends are easier with nice neat tight rolls with little play. If the wrap is loose then you waste energy during the bend and the force is not placed on the steel but shoots all over the place. Just my two cents. I am not an expert.

-Sean

good job, dude. my only suggestion is to work on some speed to go through the bends with explosion. every bend is a learning experience.

nice george

bending bolts is a good felling

you sure it was 1/4 square?

Ok after diggin through my box of bent steel i found out you were right. it was a 3/16ths x 6". Man I am weak grade 2 bolt and a 3/16ths square stock. I found the 1/4" in my benders bag so I wont be trying that right now.

Ok after diggin through my box of bent steel i found out you were right. it was a 3/16ths x 6".  Man I am weak grade 2 bolt and a 3/16ths square stock.  I found the 1/4" in my benders bag so I wont be trying that right now.

The square stock does kind of have that optical illusion effect; I thought the same thing when I got my bag. That 1/4" square piece is a mother though!

George-

Congrats!  I love bending bolts. You're moving up FAST!

So what is the lowest Bolt or stcok that I can bend to be certed on your site?

Gripperm, the 1/4 x 6" grade 5 is your bolt. You'll want to get that Blue nail, then some average 60 pennies, on your way to that milestone bolt. I've got a feeling you're up to the challenge. ;)

Gripperm, the 1/4 x 6" grade 5 is your bolt.  You'll want to get that Blue nail, then some average 60 pennies, on your way to that milestone bolt.  I've got a feeling you're up to the challenge. ;)

Thanks Mr. Milfeld I will do that

I just thought I would throw in my two sense here...

Work on your technique with some volume, technique is so important. Second, sliding the end of the bolt into the wraps is fine, the head is another story, get that wrap on and get it TIGHT, nothing is worse than a bad wrap...

other than that, awsome job!!