straphold technique

Guest sheriff

Guest sheriff

When doing strapholds the strap is always making contact with my palm as I'm lifting the weight with the closed gripper.

Is this something unavoidable, or should I conciously focus on not allowing the gripping hand to make contact with the strap?

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

So when you do them you are closing the #1 normally but you have the shoelace wedged or pinched between where the gripper handles meet???

Is this the right way to do them???

I have been using an old belt. I put the weight on the belt and the excess part of the belt after I buckle it is inbetween the gripper handles.

Yeah. Jim Wylie said in his Milo thing that DHorne had him doing partial holds with something thicker than a shoelace, like a block or something as well. I think that would be the gripper equivalent of 'progressive distance' training.

I don't know if this is part of your problem or not, but if you're supinating your hand as you straphold, the strap will touch your hand (the bottom of your palm) and make the lift much easier.  Keep the back of your hand vertical to the ground, as if in the hammer curl position.  This will prevent the strap from touching your hand.

BC.