German Grip Championship

DuTCH

Finally they are here, Hermann put in a nice write up, too bad it is in German :)

http://www.k3k.de/Info/gripdm05bericht.html

Also the results are there, so let the score sheet do the talking :D (just kidding neighbours :cry )

http://www.k3k.de/Info/gripdm05erg1.html

Thanks Theo! Congrats to everyone. :bow I can understand the Right, Left and everything else that's important. :D

Hi all,

just want to share my view on that grip contest.

It was my very first contest, and with tough competition: Imagine competing with Florian (strong, you know him), Frankyboy (strong, also well known here), Theo (Dutch, you know that he is strong as well), Tom (German champion 2004), Burki, Erik and others. Most of these guys have experience with contests, many did even compete in the Europeans.

You will understand that I was quite nervous on that day, got up early, too nervous to take breakfast. Driving to the contest was hard, lots of traffic, when meeting with Frank I was more than 30 minutes late (thanks again, Frank, for waiting), then more trafic jam.

The contest, however, was great: Herrmann Korte did a good job as organizer and referee, no complaints or discussion on his decisions at all.

First event was the one-hand pinch, you could choose from three pinch blocks (50mm, 60mm, and 70mm), fortunately they were not as slick as the IM pinch block. Right hand and left hand were tested separately, Theo had the biggest lift (35kg) with his right hand, Tom Becker won that event with a total of 63,75kg. I was very satisfied to finish this event on 4th place, far better than expected. I was less and less nervous now, good!

Second event was the strap hold, the competitors could choose to do it with a IM#1, IM#2, or IM#3, again both hands were tested. Any successful attempt with a higher gripper would rank higher than the lesser grippers, no matter what time. However, if you were unable to do the straphold at all with your chosen gripper, you were allowed to do it with a lesser gripper. Now the surprise: 5 guys did succesful strapholds with the IM#3 (right hand), with Frank being the best. Since I never closed a #3 before, I chose to do it with a #2, did well and didn't lose too many places compared to those grip monsters. With the left hand, no one had success with the #3, Florian had the best time with the #2.

Now comes the third, my weakest, event: Apollon's Axle. Though I am tall, I have only average sized hands, or I didn't train enough with thickbars, or am just not strong enough, or (probably) the other guys are stronger (simple as that). However, 132,5kg was only good for place 8.-9. in that event, the strong guys were just preparing for their first attempt when I missed 135... Martin Ressel won that event with 160kg, later lifted 170kg to get the German record (he got 4th place overall). Theo and Uwe Helmbold were strong on the axle, too, both lifted 152,5kg. I want to mention Christoph Koch ("honk" at the gripboard), who was surprisingly strong at this event, still young, and at very low bodyweight, he lifted 110kg, impressive.

The last event was the V-bar (both hands), one of my favourites. It was clear from the start that Theo would win that event, however, the Germans needed a good result for their final ranking. Florian did just need a reasonable good result to get the first place (remember: Theo, being from the Netherlands, didn't get a ranking). Frankyboy was Flo's only competitor for first place, but he would need to place at least 3 places ahead of Flo in the v-bar to tie for first place overall, that didn't happen. Theo won the v-bar (143,25 RH and 138,25 LH), 30kg ahead of the best Germans (Burki and me). The lifted weights were not very high, but note that we lifted with very strict rules: lift the bar, stop, wait for "down"signal, then lower the bar without allowing it to slip hard...

All in all the strongest competitor was IMO Theo, however, not being German, he was not included in the final ranking.

Florian Kellersmann got first place, deserved! He got no weakness, lowest ranking in the events was 4th place. This guy is hard to beat.

Frank (Frankyboy) got second place. His right hand was probably the strongest hand that day, but his left was a little weaker, so "only" second place.

Now the surprise, I got third place overall, very unexpected (planned to get place 7, 8, 9), I am very happy with it. Obviously, I was a little lucky sometimes, but who cares... Later that evening I did close a IM#3 for the very first time, an easy #3, yes!!!

As a conclusion, and as a note for further contest preparation: The guy with no weaknesses wins. So train your weaknesses instead your strengths.

Another note: Do compete! Meeting all those nice guys is worth the trouble of preparing for and getting to the contest.

Greetings

Gerrit

(Here I should apologize for my english language, grammar, typos, misspellings, etc. But I don't. I did my best, as in the contest, you will be able to understand...)

Very nice write up Reubi! Well said, and like i told you before, you deserved the good placing! :rock And congrats on the #3.. (a #3 is a #3!) :rock

Thanks Gerrit for sharing your view of the contest.

Hopefully at the weekend I'll find the time the go through the many videos I took.

And for me your english sounds perfect. :D

"I want to get away from this four attempts per movement, left and right, multi-exercise, long-hour contest and move to something that's a little more fun and gives the athletes some time to come together and exchange ideas."

I hope he is not referring to the 2006 European Championship. I assume he is meant to organize this competition as well.

Drastic alterations to the European Championship concept for next year would result in major rebellion by the Swedes. Few (if any) would spend time and money if Arne Persson gives the competition concept the thumbs down.

Needless to say I have talked to Arne at length about this possible scenario so I know where he stands.

"I want to get away from this four attempts per movement, left and right, multi-exercise, long-hour contest and move to something that's a little more fun and gives the athletes some time to come together and exchange ideas."

I hope he is not referring to the 2006 European Championship. I assume he is meant to organize this competition as well.

Drastic alterations to the European Championship concept for next year would result in major rebellion by the Swedes. Few (if any) would spend time and money if Arne Persson gives the competition concept the thumbs down.

Needless to say I have talked to Arne at length about this possible scenario so I know where he stands.

No fear! The european grip championchips will be a serious competion in the tradition of the first two european championchips. I'm also sure that there will be a serious german grip championchip as well each year. Hermann just wants to organize more than these serious competitions. Meetings to keep the grip spirit alive :rock:rock:rock