Wrist Problems Due To Grippers

Mikulich

Hi All,

I have been working with my grippers fairly heavy over the last two or three months to make a push for the #3.

I do not feel any pain in my hand normally, but when I attempt to do pushups my right wrist feels a very sharp pain that radiates up the back side of my hand (not the palm). I am making good gains with the gripper work I am doing and do not feel any pain in my hands unless my wrist bends back (as when one does pushups.)

I mainly work with grippers and occassionally do some block weights but that is infrequent at best.

I was wondering if anyone else experienced this problem and if they did anything to help it other than the obvious solution of stopping pushups and working on a bench press instead.

Any suggestions or insights would be welcomed

thanks,

Vlad

I get the same pain in just my left hand from doing heavy gripper stuff. It sucks because I'll go from being almost able to close the #3 to barely able to do the #1. I usually just try to stay away from the grippers for a few days. Around the 3rd or 4th day feels much better.

Medically I don't know what happens, would like to though.

Start doing some wrist roller, reverse wrist curls, or front levers to strengthen the extensors, you have an imbalance. Also, fill a cooler with ice and water, soak for 2-3 mins, out for 2, in for 2-3 out for 2x5 a couple times a week.

I agree with Heath. The grippers kill my wrists and hands. I have found that working the extensors helps. Another thing I do is "stretch" the tendons and ligaments and muscles in my hands and wrists. Do this by taking each finger alone, and bending it backwards with the other hand. Go slow, while you are relaxed. Work toward being able to hyperextend the finger completely back. GO SLOW. It hurts, sometimes a lot, but hold it for as long as necessary to feel the tissues stretching. To do both hands right may take ten minutes or more. Stretch the entire hand all at once after you've stretched each finger alone. When you are done, stretch the hands out fully, and hold them in extension for awhile. I do this while sitting in my hot tub, or just while watching TV. This little bit of neglected stretching will really help the pain in your hands and wrists. I get a lot of relief from wrist pain by using my Powerball. Good luck!

John Scribner

Start doing some wrist roller, reverse wrist curls, or front levers to strengthen the extensors, you have an imbalance.  Also, fill a cooler with ice and water, soak for 2-3 mins, out for 2, in for 2-3 out for 2x5 a couple times a week.

Is that the reason for it Heath? Because we have an imbalance in the hands? I would definatley fit for me b/c I dont realy do any extensor work. Never thouht of that, always thought I had crappy hands or something

DUDE im getting the same thing wtf? Course ive been doing behind the back wrist curls like it was my job and nothing else... =\ Damn i need to correct this. What a life saver.

Start doing some wrist roller, reverse wrist curls, or front levers to strengthen the extensors, you have an imbalance.  Also, fill a cooler with ice and water, soak for 2-3 mins, out for 2, in for 2-3 out for 2x5 a couple times a week.

Is that the reason for it Heath? Because we have an imbalance in the hands? I would definatley fit for me b/c I dont realy do any extensor work. Never thouht of that, always thought I had crappy hands or something

Any time I have gotten that pain it has been because I have been lazy and not worked the extensors. Start doing some leverage work, wrist roller or wristcurl/reverse wrist curl, do it all evenly so as not to creat anothe rimbalance, drop teh grippers for awhile and you will heal up.

In addition to the wrist stuff do you think mimicking exercises like those Expand Your Hand Bands things would help?

I should drop over to the "Lesons Learned" thread and write this down, damn.

While you are waiting for your injury to heal you might be able to still do pushups, by using push up handles, or doing pushups on your fists.

Might work.

I would break for atleast a week and then if it still hurts it could be something more serious than a cramp

I just got the expand your hands bands a while ago to combat this problem and I think its helping.

In addition to the wrist stuff do you think mimicking exercises like those Expand Your Hand Bands things would help?

I should drop over to the "Lesons Learned" thread and write this down, damn.

Examine your diet as well. Are you eating right? Are you getting all the vitamins and minerals that you need (for example: Vitamin C and enough calcium)?

I remember a guy that was working on the grippers, and he couldn't understand why he wasn't making any progress on the grippers UNTIL I found out the reason why. He wasn't eating worth a damn!! :angry: In short - eat a balanced diet! :happy

I just got the expand your hands bands a while ago to combat this problem and I think its helping.

A bucket of sand work great as well. That is what we use.

Heath's comment about neglecting extensor work hit home, and thus I will have to add that to my training. But first I will rest as suggested.

Once again thanks to everyone for the guidance.