Best Feeling Ever.....

Dude

I couldnt take it anymore. Got outta shower, got dressed and went downstairs. The reds that came in the mail a few days ago were sitting on the counter because I promised I was going to let my hand heal before trying them. But after reading SMP's thread I had to try.

It took me three takes to get it on film b/c of the camera shutting off. This is my third bend. That extra inch makes the red much harder my god. Need to work on longer stuff to get used to it and now work on speed. Also need to work on my technique for the last bit of crush down, cant make up my mind where to put hands. But I did listen to gamidon and kept my hands up during the crush down a bit.....

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=3348

Ended up with 3 today....

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=3350

And of course I had to try one more and fugged up my finger. The callous (sp?) on my finger ripped....DAMMIT.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=3351

As always would love critique on getting better. Would also like some info on how to fix this rip in my hand. Should I cut it? Glue it? Never had this but I know it hurts

Great job. Start the paper work man. As for technique, sorry but I have horrible technique and you might go backwards if you listened to me. :blink

Keep it up man you are doing great.

-Sean

:bow:bow Damn, Strossen better get more reds.....this board is getting red nail happy!! :mosher:mosher

Congratulations Dude........Give Dr. Strossen a call

you are definitely ready to certify, you are very well trained.......start cutting them down and don't get hurt!!

Best of luck....see you you on the red roster soon!!

hit em' hard,

Burner

Is that how people normally do bends like that? For some reason I thought you had to have your hands way out in front of you, and you can't let it come close to your body. Anyways, that was pretty impressive. Strike one for New England benders!

I would say that you are ready to go! Go get certified!

I have torn callouses like that on my fingers many times during a workout, and I'll put duct tape around it and keep going. That's good for me, but you'll have to see if that's good for you. Just curious here, how many fingers do you actually have around the end of each nail? Were those rubber bands that I saw around the wraps? The video was kind of dark, thus the questions.

I have torn callouses like that on my fingers many times during a workout, and I'll put duct tape around it and keep going.  That's good for me, but you'll have to see if that's good for you.  Just curious here, how many fingers do you actually have around the end of each nail?  Were those rubber bands that I saw around the wraps?  The video was kind of dark, thus the questions.

I usually use rubber bands but that was my g/f's black hair tie that was on my counter, lol. Probably not the best thing because its a little slick but it was the only thing I could find at the moment

I dont have a nail in front of me but at the least i think I have three fingers maybe when I start? I usually only feel it over my first two fingers though. Hard to keep a lot of fingers on the bar, makes it akward I think. Am I missin out by using less fingers?

I wouldn't say your missing out. Its normal to feel it mainly on the first two fingers when using a high DO and pushing into the ends of the bar. By having only those fingers doing the torque, its easier to get your knuckles facing each other and really maximize on leverage, at least thats how I see it. The more fingers you put on the bar, the more wrist involvement the bend calls for, which makes noticeably harder IMO.

I'm in awe :bow

A Red with leather seems so easy to me.

But when tried with IM pads, I always have to stop increasing the pressure due to my index fingers.

I didn't stop once and my left index was numb for 2 months.

I dont have a nail in front of me but at the least i think I have three fingers maybe when I start? I usually only feel it over my first two fingers though. Hard to keep a lot of fingers on the bar, makes it akward I think. Am I missin out by using less fingers?

I first off want to state to the board that I do not want this to turn into a pissing match of the right or wrong way to bend double overhand style. Everybody has their own "right way" to do it. I am a big believer that bending should be a very good way to strengthen ones' wrists, and i found that to do maximize wrist training in the double overhand style, I find I get the most out of moving my fingers in more towards the center of the bar so my knuckles are about 1" apart when I start the bend. Am I maximizing my leverages? Probably not, but that is the way I choose to bend, and I have been able to lever a 16 pound sledgehammer strictly as a by product of the wrist strength that I have gained from bending like this. It worked for me, however, everybody must find what they like best, and choose their goals to suit themselves. By the way, I also have never had an injury from bending, if you do not count the torn skin, of course. I hope this was helpful.

I choose to bend, and I have been able to lever a 16 pound sledgehammer strictly as a by product of the wrist strength that I have gained from bending like this.  It worked for me, however, everybody must find what they like best, and choose their goals to suit themselves.  By the way, I also have never had an injury from bending, if you do not count the torn skin, of course.  I hope this was helpful.

Steve this is definetly not a pissing match so please read as a legitimate question :D

By lever I am assuming to the nose. I am not understanding how Double Overhand would ever strengthen your wrists in that direction. Double Underhand (DU) is absolutely going to improve your levering to the nose and rear levers since that is the direction your wrists must create force when you bend. I find DO improves your front levers since that is the side of the wrist that is utilized for DO.

I am interested because I found the complete opposite effect from what I believe you are describing. For DO I find my best bends are possible by really wrenching my wrists (like a front lever) then hitting the bar. For DU I find you hit the bar and then wrench your wrists like a lever to the nose.

BTW a strict 16 pound lever is a GREAT lever.

Edited by gamidon

Greg,

When I bend DO, I am nowhere near standing upright. I tend to lean forward, and actually bend the bar outward instead of downward, so the ends point away from my chest rather than towards my feet, so I am getting a different effect than those who stand upright. It tends to mimmick the wrist angle of when the hammer is being lowered to the nose, and then back to vertical. That is why I feel it has improved my levering without practicing levering. My shoulder flexibility is pretty horrendous, and this is why I tend to lean forward and use this technique. Thanks for the compliment on the 16 pounder, but when I can get a 20 pounder, then I know I am getting somewhere. Knowing myself, when I get the 20 pounder, I won't be satisfied with that either. :D

I'm in awe :bow

A Red with leather seems so easy to me.

But when tried with IM pads, I always have to stop increasing the pressure due to my index fingers.

I didn't stop once and my left index was numb for 2 months.

I dunno why but for some reason I can't seem to bend very well with leather anymore. When I first started using the IM Pads I hated them, but I figured I'd get used to them to cert, so I've used them since doing 60Ds and up.

My fingers have gone numb before too, like on the sides of the index and middle fingers. For some reason I think IM Pads are softer on the hands than leather, but with chalk on them they can become like sandpaper real fast.

I knew you had it in you after you destroyed the G8 like it was a whitenail.

This is a damn impressive mile stone, which you did with remarkable ease to say the least

Great job Ron!

Edited by Oldtime

Thanks for the comments guys. Once I can CC cert the #3 confidently I think I might go for the double cert with the red. Hopefully before the end of '05

That looked really easy, Ron! Congratulations!

I'll see ya on the list!