Questions On Euro Rules

Bob Lipinski

The answer may be out there somewhere, not sure-

1. Is a rising bar system mandatory?

2. Is a competitor allowed to go to a lower weight if an attempt is missed?

Thanks. Planning on doing at least one event in my contest with Euro rules from now on.

The answer may be out there somewhere, not sure-

1. Is a rising bar system mandatory?

2. Is a competitor allowed to go to a lower weight if an attempt is missed?

Thanks. Planning on doing at least one event in my contest with Euro rules from now on.

1. No

2. Yes

Having said that a rising bar system in some form may well be introduced from 2006 onwards in some of the events in the European Championship.

A rising bar (non rounds system) works best in the pinch.

In grippers, a rising "gripper" system can be adopted in combination with a rounds system perhaps.

In the v-bar and one hand lift (or one hand deadlift) a rising bar system could also be applied although one would of course be allowed to pick a lower weight for the weaker hand.

I think that the old way of doing it in the LGC and 2004 and 2005 European where you can go down in weight has outlived its usefulness now that we have standardised events that people are getting used to.

The rounds system can however work well in some events if there are not too many competitors.

RE: In the v-bar and one hand lift (or one hand deadlift) a rising bar system could also be applied although one would of course be allowed to pick a lower weight for the weaker hand.

**The way we got around that problem this year was to offer .2 bonus points if the athlete could pull the weight with both hands (vertical bar lift only - one hand lift was not contested).

Anytime people are taking weights off, it really extends the duration of the event.

-Jedd-

Anytime people are taking weights off, it really extends the duration of the event.

-Jedd-

Not much of a problem in the Euros (now that there is going to be 4 instead of 5 attempts) where we have limited the number of competitors to 12.

However, I certainly understand the time factor in competitions such as the GGC, where you have many competitors.

Testing one hand only is simply not allround in its strictest sence.

It's a bit like one arm boxing or one arm wrestling.

Yes,

what really made the last euros a long event was the separation of left and right hand in vbar and OHL virtually meaning 7 events.

Yes,

what really made the last euros a long event was the separation of left and right hand in vbar and OHL virtually meaning 7 events.

Remember that the next Euro will only have four attempts (in line with the new rules for WR's) instead of five. This will cut the time significantly.

Otherwise it is the same old story. Very few people are prepared to replace or change things they are good at but many are keen on changing things they do not perform so well in.

Make no mistake about it, I would do very well in a one hand only competition, as I am much stronger now in my right hand in both v-bar and grippers for example. Nonetheless, it would not test allround grip strength in a strict sence.

Perhaps more importantly, testing one hand only in heavy lifts such as v-bar and one hand lift would encourage people to only train their strong hand with resulting imbalances in the muscles supporting the spine.