Filed Handles

Mitch Kirchner

I filed the handles pretty good on my Trainer and #1. I fingured that if u could close the griper more it would help u close a stronger gripper. For me the last 1/8 is really hard to get so I think this will strengthen me in that area. Do filled gripper handles better that non filed?

Hard to understand exactly what you are asking?? I think you want to know if filed grippers will help with the last 1/8 inch of closing a gripper, the answer is YES!! It is called BTR (Beyond the Range) training and is desigend to help get that last 1/8"

Hard to understand exactly what you are asking?? I think you want to know if filed grippers will help with the last 1/8 inch of closing a gripper, the answer is YES!! It is called BTR (Beyond the Range) training and is desigend to help get that last 1/8"

Ya that was what I was trying to ask.

I'm not sure if it helps me or not. The range of movement depends on where the 2nd gripper handle is (the one near the thumb), not at the end of the range of motion of the joint. This is why a nice set seems to help because it brings that handle forward. For those with smaller hands look at that handle placement during a no set and during a deep set.

Therefore I think I can get very similar benefits from setting the gripper more loosely or from doing a no set. I have a gripper that is filed and I might get a little benifit from it, but not a ton. If you are short on funds try to set it more loosely.

I'm not sure if it helps me or not.  The range of movement depends on where the 2nd gripper handle is (the one near the thumb), not at the end of the range of motion of the joint.  This is why a nice set seems to help because it brings that handle forward.  For those with smaller hands look at that handle placement during a no set and during a deep set. 

Therefore I think I can get very similar benefits from setting the gripper more loosely or from doing a no set.  I have a gripper that is filed and I might get a little benifit from it, but not a ton.  If you are short on funds try to set it more loosely.

Regardless of the set..if the issue is that last little bit then training past it helps make it feel easier. When I did KTA this was a big part of that program, plus that extra little 1/8 will be harder than the 1/8 before because, as we know, the closer the handles the harder the gripper.

Regardless of the set..if the issue is that last little bit then training past it helps make it feel easier. 

Did you read what I said?

The range of movement depends on where the 2nd gripper handle is (the one near the thumb), not at the end of the range of motion of the joint.

And then I say..

Therefore I think I can get very similar benefits from setting the gripper more loosely or from doing a no set.

I agree that using your fingers to move the outer handle farther than you normally would will make doing a smaller movement easier. By increasing the range of motion, you are making that smaller part feel a bit easier. All filing does is increase the range of motion of that outer handle (outer being touching your fingers).

Now, all I said was that I think you can increase that range of motion by moving the inner handle back farther on your palm. When I do a deep set I have the gripper 2nd handle over the calluses on my hand, about as far up as comfortable. Instead of filing the griper so that it closes 1/8 more, you can move the other handle (inner) 1/8 back. You are then moving the outer handle 1/8 more than usual to touch and hence going "beyond the range."

The only benefit of having a filed gripper is the movement (i.e. the set, where the gripper is etc..) is the same so when you pick up a really hard gripper you just do the same movement. I"m just stating that you don't need to file a gripper to increase the range of motion. Just like you can increase the range of motion of a deadlift by standing on a block, you do not have to file away the bottoms of all your weight plates to have the bar closer to the floor.

Be careful w/ that filed trainer.I had a hg150 double filed and it snapped in my hand on like the tenth close.Double fileing was probly the cause but still.

I filed the handles pretty good on my Trainer and #1.

Did it ever occur to you just to get a HARDER gripper? (Hint: get the #2)

Regardless of the set..if the issue is that last little bit then training past it helps make it feel easier. 

Did you read what I said?

The range of movement depends on where the 2nd gripper handle is (the one near the thumb), not at the end of the range of motion of the joint.

And then I say..

Therefore I think I can get very similar benefits from setting the gripper more loosely or from doing a no set.

I agree that using your fingers to move the outer handle farther than you normally would will make doing a smaller movement easier. By increasing the range of motion, you are making that smaller part feel a bit easier. All filing does is increase the range of motion of that outer handle (outer being touching your fingers).

Now, all I said was that I think you can increase that range of motion by moving the inner handle back farther on your palm. When I do a deep set I have the gripper 2nd handle over the calluses on my hand, about as far up as comfortable. Instead of filing the griper so that it closes 1/8 more, you can move the other handle (inner) 1/8 back. You are then moving the outer handle 1/8 more than usual to touch and hence going "beyond the range."

The only benefit of having a filed gripper is the movement (i.e. the set, where the gripper is etc..) is the same so when you pick up a really hard gripper you just do the same movement. I"m just stating that you don't need to file a gripper to increase the range of motion. Just like you can increase the range of motion of a deadlift by standing on a block, you do not have to file away the bottoms of all your weight plates to have the bar closer to the floor.

I do understand your "range of motion" theory, and it is true. I meant a filed gripper is harder to close than an unfiled..and that will aid in closing tougher grippers.

Edited by pdoire

filed grippers are definitely awesome. sometimes after squeezing my friends filed #1 a lot i then close my #1 and i often have to double check the handle cause i think it might be a trainer :) . even after working with only this filed #1 i also will close my #2 and even though its a much harder gripper it sometimes takes you off guard when it feels like the handles stop very short of being closed.

Does one of yall have a picture of a filed gripper?I just want to figure out what yall are talking about when you say to file the dogleg side.Garythedino has one of a extremely filed #1 but I dont know if it is what yall are talking about.

I would like to disagree. Since a deadlift involves pulling a weight from the floor, and the resistance is created by the force of gravity, the load is constant even if you add to the distance the weight is moved by standing on a block.

A gripper is basicly a mechanical spring, with two handles attached. The more you compress the spring, the more force is needed to compress it. Progressive resistance... Therefore a filed gripper needs more force applied to close than a "non-filed" one.

In theory a deadlift done on the surface of the moon, would be much easier to complete than the same mass pulled on earth.

Closing a gripper on the moon wouldn't be easier though.

I would like to disagree. Since a deadlift involves pulling a weight from the floor, and the resistance is created by the force of gravity, the load is constant even if you add to the distance the weight is moved by standing on a block.

A gripper is basicly a mechanical spring, with two handles attached. The more you compress the spring, the more force is needed to compress it. Progressive resistance... Therefore a filed gripper needs more force applied to close than a "non-filed" one.

In theory a deadlift done on the surface of the moon, would be much easier to complete than the same mass pulled on earth.

Closing a gripper on the moon wouldn't be easier though.

that all depends on if your using your space gloves or not

:whistel