Phil Pfister

Guest baldy

Guest baldy

Anyone see in the March MILO that Phil Pfister can clean a York BLOB with either hand??? When I read Wade G say he was the first to clean a 50 lb blob (that he was aware of), he didn't give the hand so strong hand only is assumed. Phil really is under-rated, he is a great strongman with a world class grip. I have a feeling we will be hearing more of him soon in both arenas. It also said he did a Rolling Thunder lift of over 250 lbs. I have read elsewhere (probably at http://www.strongestman.com/) that he easily closed a #3 in front of witnesses. We read Joe's report of his performance with the Inch replica at the Arnold Classic. I look forward to seeing what Phil will be able to do once he gets the time to train steadily.

He's got #4 written all over him based on his how casual he seems to perform BIG grip feats.

Yeah, who knows how good he will get in time.  He's already beating everyone in the farmers walk at strongman competitions.  

Watching a guy basically run with 300+ lbs in each hand just blows me away.  Actually, I'm pretty sure I remember reading over at Ironmind last summer that he did 342 in each hand for almost 200 feet and I'd bet he's even stronger now.

Guest baldy

Bill, that is exactly what blows me away about him... he does things casually that normal humans have to work years at. I also think your prediction about a #4 is highly possible, if he trains specifically for it. I don't see anyone casually smacking one of those things shut.

Gaster, he does smoke the comp at farmer's walks, and at the Hercules hold too.

Chad Coy says in his Steel Spiel that Pfister closed the 3 'like it was a toy'. & wasn't it 258 on rolling thunder? Whatever it was it's a huge weight.

Given I can do some of the feats you mention I am more impressed by his silver dollar deadlift.

Phil, to me, is one of those guys who injure themselves or put out too much on say a deadlift hold (#### good at that too) and if they get it together will do real well.

BTW Chris James twisted his ankle doing (so I have heard) 130k plus farmers walk. He was joint first place at that point  :)

Guest baldy

Nathan, on page 116 of the newest MILO (March 2002) the caption under the picture says 251.5 lbs on the RT. As for the #3, I bet that is where I read that (I did read that interview).

Steve, I think (judging by your posts) you have had to train very hard to get where you are in grip. I know you have many impressive lifts, but I think many of the things Phil has done he has done with little training towards that lift (in grip, he trains strongman events very very hard). His grip seems to be the product a lot of natural ability and hard work at odd lifts, and it doesn't hurt to be 6'5" tall either.

Also Steve, can you clean a 50 lb BLOB? If so, that is quite a feat.

Guest baldy

Nathan, the article says 251.5 but that is from the 2000 Rolling Thunder World Championship, where Phil got 2nd place. I would think he would have added some weight to that already whopping amount by now, so your number could be the more current figure. Then again, he might not have touched a RT handle since then, and he might pull 285+ next time he tries.

Also in the same MILO article, it stated that Phil could pass a US quarter through his wedding ring. I got my wedding ring and tried to stick a nickel through it, no go. Then a penny, still no go. A dime finally went through mine. I have since considered changing my handle to "skinnylittlewusfingers".

Luckily Phil seems more interested in becoming the world's strongest man than setting any grip records. Otherwise I have no doubt he and a few other strongman competitors would dominate any grip contest.

I don't know enough about  Phil to be able to comment on his natural talent so I'll agree as is. I too will be very grateful if he'd stay away from the grip stuff (if thats ok Phil ta very much).

Re the coin through a ring - thats probably from all the semi partial lifts. I'm sure a few here are having their hands and fingers go the same way.

Never had access to a blob so I don't know. What would compare - if its possible I'll give it a go.

Guest baldy

OldGuy, I couldn't agree more.

Steve, I don't think anything compares to the BLOB. I have a 40 lb and a 45 lb blob, I couldn't imagine a 50. The gap between the 40 and 45 is immense. If there is anything that compares Mr Sorin would know, but I think they are pretty unique. Do you guys in the UK have any old York dumbells? It is a very short list that has even lifted a 50 lber, and all who have are great pinchers. Brookfield said that most people could blob lift somewhere around half of their one-hand pinch (give or take) as a starting point for the smaller blobs (30 lbs or so). So I guess if someone could one hand pinch over 100 lbs they might be able to lift the 50 if their wide pinch is good. To clean it would obviously take a whole lot more, apparently only Phil and Wade have done this.

As for the coing through the ring, it doesn't hurt to be 6'5" tall and weigh over 330 lbs either.

Steve,

We made a similar 'contraption' to the Blob at my old gym. It was basically an end of a chromed barbell that had fallen off. I think it weighed 20kg(45lbs) and was 4" wide but I will check on that. David, I think you have seen this.

I was able to clean this for reps at one time and about 2 other guys could lift it too. I thought it was too easy so I welded two other weights to it which I think took the weight up to 30kg(66lbs). I remember being able to lift this but not clean it. I'll find out if it's still at the old barn gym. We did have a name for it but I have forgetten that too. It's a good challenge lift now. If I can locate it I'll get my good buddy Darryl to drop it off at David's for you to try at the British Grip Champs.

As for Phil Pfister. From what JD Hansen has told me Phil has some of the largest hands in the world and is a trained strongman. He is basically a modern day Herman Goerner (but bigger!) and with the right training he would do some mind boggling stuff IMO. But, in Grip Comps you have to take into account weaknesses and he might have one  - but I doubt it!

Nick

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I have talked with Phil a few times at contest, and he is the most easy going guy I have ever met. I doubt he trains grip at all, except when he trains farmers.One thing about Phil,Beside his natural ability, Is his hands. They are huge.Not just his fingers. I read somwhere that with his hand stretched out, from his thumb to his little finger is over 11" ! If you have ever shaken hand with this guy you would belive it. I have no doubt he closed the #3 on his first try. Schoonveld also closed it on his first try.

Biggest paws - a better description than hands when I saw these monsters - was on the end of Lou Ferrigno's arms during a tour he did here a few years back.

Regarding the blob thing: my one hand pinch is very poor but something I can do is pick up plates by putting my thumb in the center hole and the fingers just over the rim (not olympic plates) and can do a 15 kilo plate. Without having taped this I'm guessing this is about a 6 inch span. Would this compare?

Biggest paws - a better description than hands when I saw these monsters - was on the end of Lou Ferrigno's arms during a tour he did here a few years back.

Regarding the blob thing: my one hand pinch is very poor but something I can do is pick up plates by putting my thumb in the center hole and the fingers just over the rim (not olympic plates) and can do a 15 kilo plate (20 kgs are too wide). Without having taped this I'm guessing this is about a 6 inch span. Would this compare?

Going by that pic of Pfister lifting with that RT handle in the Milo article, I'd say he qualifies for D Willoughby's 'hands like small shovels' rating.  :) Mine are more like teaspoons  :(  No prob I'll work around it like Louis Cyr did  :)

Guest baldy

Nick, was the surface straight up and down or did it have a steep angle to it? What you described sounds like a straight surface, which (for me anyway) allows my hand to bite into the edge, thereby aiding in the lift. The hard part about the blobs is that they are wide at the top, but they get a lot wider at the middle. Obviously the heavier they get the wider they are too.

Harlan, that is the impression I got from reading Phil's interviews and watching his comments on ESPN. That is what amazes me about him, his natural ability.

Steve, that sounds like an impressive feat but I think the blob lift is all in the pinch. Now that we have talked it up, I wish you guys had one to try it. Really I am not the one to answer these questions, though, because Mr Sorin is the one who came up with the whole BLOB concept anyway. He was the first to lift one. He has snatched a heavy one (I think a 45), and I believe he has lifted a 50 with 10 lbs taped to the bottom of it.

I found 2 pictures in the grip gallery that might better illustrate what I am trying to convey about how the things fit into a person's hand:

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album02/aaf

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album24/aab

Only that momentary touch of the Inch replica with

his left hand thwarted Phister from what will no doubt

be a top rating with the Inch bell after he gets used to

using one. Not sure, but I think he had very limited

exposure to a replica before that Saturday night at the

Arnold. Perhaps had only seen one once?

If he had enjoyed several weeks of training on the replica

prior to that Saturday, I suspect he would have mastered

the balance (it was balance and not lack of strength which

thwarted his attempt) and we would have on record a very

smooth one hand all the way continental.

Apparently Phil 'Fister' Phister now owns a replica, and it

doesn't take Miss Cleo to predict what may be in store for

the grip community in the near future. Perhaps by the time

the next Arnold rolls around we may even see a one hand clean? (And, it does appear that there will be another strongman contest at next year's Arnold.)

Phil may become the first man to deadlift two replicas at the

same time, his 9" hands and incredible farmer's walk strength

playing no small part.

baldy,

Ya wanna go "halfsies" with me on a Blob?  I know where a York 100 pound DB lies; I could get it, cut it, and send it to ya if you're interested.  I've always wanted one myself, just too expensive - but if I found someone to share the cost of doing it.... well.  Contact me by IM.