Strapholds: set and reps?

Guest Hairyporkchop

Guest Hairyporkchop

I've been doing strapholds in my effort to close the #2. After reading another thread I'm going to start doing them twice a week. After warming up, I try 3 holds with each hand, increasing the weight if I can hold it for 10 seconds, staying at the same weight if I can't, and I finish the workout by doing a forced close with the #2 and hold as long as I can followed by a slow negative. For those of you doing strapholds, what does your workout look like and how long do you rest between sets? Thanks in advance for any advice.

JO'C

Guest Hairyporkchop

Thanks guys. I just read Tom Black's post and he is doing something similar so I guess I'm on the right track. Cheers.

JO'C

I suspect that there are many ways of making strapholds work.  In the beginning weekly stages I found that I was underestimating the weights I could lift, and increasing the weight for the next set, but as I reached my peak this became harder to do.  I have begun training 2 guys at work (maybe up to three soon) during lunch break.  One guy (with good potential) went from 1/4" away on the #2 to a hairs width away in 3 weeks.  All with strapholds, and the basic workout that I have laid out.  He did the #2 close after the strapholds and with no chalk, so he could probably close it when fresh.  Also, he did almost all his straphold sets with the Trainer, not the #1, so this shows you don't always have to use the next gripper lower than what you are trying to close.

My 2nd trainee went from about 3/8" on the trainer to fully  closed with strapholds on a cheap gripper for 3 weeks.  He made a big jump due to technique changes, but even so he could not have closed the trainer at first even with proper technique.