Horse Shoe Progression

GarytheDino

What is an easy shoe to start with. The smaller ones are shorter making it difficult to get leverage. So the answer is not the smallest. I'm having a tough time getting started. I can find some rusted ones that bend easy but to check my progress what should i use. I heard of aluminum. Are they too easy. I have no idea but i can't bend anything at the local farm store.

:D i have been getting some from the blacksmith at the stables were my girls have a horse the worn down ones are best to start with,although i have only found 2 that i have been able to bend,ask at stables someone might be able to help and most of the time they are free!

you could do like they do nails grind them a little like grind a spot and set a penny in it and use that as a gage or a nickel and take it from there or i wrap tight on the end making the shoe seem longer :D

from what I have found, these vary more than grippers

it depends on the brand and manufacturing

look at the shoe for consistency- if the shoe goes from groove to solid, it will bend easy then almost not bend at all (kind of hard to explain)

a shoe that looks the same is the best way to go, then find the thinest one

hope that helps

St Croix Ultra lites - #2

Big Steve gave me a few - we need to have him tell us where he buys them.

What's the next hardest. #1 because of reduced leverage? Or is the #3 thicker. Would it possibly be a different style shoe?

I called my local dealer and they sell St Croix #1 for $4.75/pair. They didn't carry the #2. How much harder is the #1? For you guys who bend them, do you do it bare handed?

I'm not nearly as qualified to rate them as some bender around here but i have done a little more research.

St. Croix #2 is the biggest ultra lite, the 000 is the smallest. The smaller the more difficult. I can make a #2 into a heart a #000 I can barly make an S.

Once you get into the Lite there is a big difference in thickness, they also only go up to a #2, as far as I know.

I'm interested in other brands also. I bent a sharpers #7 and a JS5f or something like that. These shoes run 2+ dollars each. So if you can find used practice shoes that would be a good idea.

St Criox #2 high rims would be after the ultra lites then diamond #2. Shoes will very from one to another. After diamond #2 try #3 st. criox high rim.

I got ahold of what I think are st. croix 000 that are the clipped model according to the link above. Couldn't move the thing, dont know where it stands but I'm want to find some easy ones to attempt......unless that was an easy one :blush