Concrete Vs Metal

joehawkins

I want to try some kettleball stuff, but I'm not gonna pay those outrageous prices, and I'm a bit of a geek about making stuff. Anyway, I'm toying with this idea for a homemade kettleball, based off the "recipe" for Atlas Stones. I'm gonna use a smaller rubber ball for a mold, pour all the concrete in, and stick a thick metal ring (advice on where to find one appreciated), or a handle made from plumbing pipe in the concrete and let it set up. The result should be a smooth ball with a nice thick handle sticking out of it. I think the ring would better mimic the curved handle of a real kettleball, but either way, I think it will work. My question is, would I need to make a bigger or smaller "bell" to match the weight of the metal bell on the real balls. Is concrete heavier or lighter than the metal. I wouldn't want to accidentally make some like 200 lb kettleball, nor do I want like a 10 lb one. If it works out I'll post pics.

Thanks

I want to try some kettleball stuff, but I'm not gonna pay those outrageous prices, and I'm a bit of a geek about making stuff.  Anyway, I'm toying with this idea for a homemade kettleball, based off the "recipe" for Atlas Stones.  I'm gonna use a smaller rubber ball for a mold, pour all the concrete in, and stick a thick metal ring (advice on where to find one appreciated), or a handle made from plumbing pipe in the concrete and let it set up.  The result should be a smooth ball with a nice thick handle sticking out of it.  I think the ring would better mimic the curved handle of a real kettleball, but either way, I think it will work.  My question is, would I need to make a bigger or smaller "bell" to match the weight of the metal bell on the real balls.  Is concrete heavier or lighter than the metal. I wouldn't want to accidentally make some like 200 lb kettleball, nor do I want like a 10 lb one.  If it works out I'll post pics.

Thanks

you would have to make it bigger concrete is lighter than steel if you could find some iron ore at a steel plant you could us that instead of stones in the concrete mix to add weight let us know how it turns out :D

Thanks, I don't have access to that kind of stuff in Brooklyn, but maybe it won't turn out too big, at least for like a 50 pounder. I'm gonna start with a basketball, just for a relative measure.

That is about 1/2 the price of any other 'bell I've seen, but yes I can make one cheaper, the only question is how big the concrete bell part will be, and how the increased size will affect it's performance. Since I don't have access to Iron ore, I'm now toying with the concept of putting nuts or bolts or something in the concrete mix to add more weight. I just gotta find something cheap that's heavier than concrete and small enough not to require additional space. Here's the basic formula though. 80 lbs of concrete is like 4 bux, a basketball from the salvation army is like 4 bux, and probably 10 bux if I go the plumbing pipe route. Provided it works, I think I can save a buck or 2. Not trying to be a total scrooge, more of a pride-of-making-it thing.

It will be a trial and error type thing.Id prefer if i were you to make a padlock type setup.At least the forms can be made out of wood and reusable.

Good call. I'm not that familiar with padlocks, can you still do movements like the one hand snatch and stuff with them, or are they more for like swings and grip-style curls? And, just fyi, you can use plaster of paris to make an Atlas Stone mold (or I guess a kettleball mold), but I'm too impatient right now and I have a basketball that's already popped, which is why I'm skipping that step. Also, fate willing, I just scored like 30+ lbs of lead shot off ebay for like 20 bux. That should spice things up a bit.

Thanks

I think your going to have trouble getting it heavy enough, unless you melt lead or something. I have a homemade medicine ball made of a basketball. In one I put as many lead tire weights as I could stuff. The end rusult is 60 pounds.

I use my kettlbell swing simulator a lot. For most the other kettlbell exercises, snatches, juggling etc, I havent' really found a substitiue. Either the handle doesn't work well, It's uncomfortable, or for juggling has balance issues....

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining

Good call.  I'm not that familiar with padlocks, can you still do movements like the one hand snatch and stuff with them, or are they more for like swings and grip-style curls?  And, just fyi, you can use plaster of paris to make an Atlas Stone mold (or I guess a kettleball mold), but I'm too impatient right now and I have a basketball that's already popped, which is why I'm skipping that step.  Also, fate willing, I just scored like 30+ lbs of lead shot off ebay for like 20 bux.  That should spice things up a bit.

Thanks

Hey man,

Interesting post, funny I'm looking into making a kettlebell as well.

As far as concrete goes I would definitely use the shot in the basketball to make it heavy. We use 2 concreted filled basketballs right now that my buddy had made and one weights 40 lbs the other is 39 lbs. Apparently it was tricky to make and the guys who made it(professional concrete workers who trained at the same gym) used sand in order to support the sidewalls of the basketball. They placed the basketball in the sand buried it and then filled it.

However, as mentioned above, I think steel is a better choice. I plan on using 4 to 6 inch(depending on the weight/size and whats availible) solid round steel pole sliced into a cylinder. just grid down any sharp edges then get a thick handle welded on and perfect. just needs paint. We've already tracked down some solid round stock(steel) at a local machine shop.(same guys who just finished making us a tapered loading pin)

anyhow good luck with it.

Thanks guys, didn't even think about the support part, that could have been a disaster. I think at my current stage of training, if I could get a 60 pound kettleball, that would be ok (BTW apttdwler, your site rocks. I have been going to it for years, and I made a few of the toys off your site.) Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I just gotta try. I have all this freakin concrete sitting around waiting to be made into Atlas stones anyway, ha ha.

Thanks for the comments on my site:)

I might have to make a cement med ball myself. It would go nice with my lead one....

The best place for lead is a tire store. They will sell/give away old lead tire balance weights. Lead shot is expensive. I've actually had a guy email that he used pennies and it was cheaper than shot! Though I'm not sure if the new pennies are as heavy as old ones?

with my clubbell subsitites, pure cement came out at 15 pounds a mix of coment and lead 25. TO get a handle to work you'll likely need a mix of the 2 as I don't think pure lead would give you anything to attach to....

This project may end up on the scrap heap, it's hard for me to scrounge a lot of that stuff in Brooklyn, for some reason people just don't get it around here. I need to buy a cannon ball or something. I have a buddy that's a metalworker, maybe I should email him.