Short Bends

Muscle Turtle

To those of you tht are moving up the FBBC list, how did you get from long to short?

I can bend long much much better than short. Ive bent Reds for volume but havent done a 6 inch Red or even a 5 inch G8....

thanks.

Train at the length you want to bend, the technique will change a bit so be patient and get comfortable. At your strength level I would say the FBBC 7.0, 6.5 and 6.0 should not be a problem. I would focus on speed and crush technique. The shorter bars definitely demand speed speed speed. Explode harder and try to crash your fingers together. At this level it's all desire. Training the wrist and crush tend to protect my wrist more and give me the confidence to give that bar everything I have. Keep the crush high..............Martin told me that at this level my recovery will be as important as my training, read that line again!!

In my opinion, bending starts at the 5.5 FBBC......... :whacked

Best of luck and expect some injuries!!

Give em' hell baby!! :mosher:mosher

Peace,

Burner

Edited by burner

Turtle, Burner's given you some great advice. With shorter lengths, exploding into the bar will become even more important. Also, you need to get every last little bit of movement out of the bar with the DO grip, before you switch over to interlocking your fingers for the crushdown. This is where wrist and grip strength figure in significantly. The crush is a lot of chest, lat, and fingertip strenth. You have a margin of error in terms of at what point you start the crush with longer bars, not with the short stuff. The crush is what stops just about everyone on the real short stuff. Don't be afraid to take it in baby steps and cut the bars down in 1/4" or 1/8" increments. But, like burner said, if you can train with your goal length, that's ideal. Also, isometrics are particualrly helpful for bending. I've had many productive workouts that were little more than straining my guts out on bars that would budge very little, if at all. Then a few workouts later those bars would magically give in. ;)

Thanks Eric and Burner,

in the back of my mind I have a game plan starting to evolve already... SPEED AND DESTROY

This morning is a hungarian peice of 80 d 5/16 by 7 inches, way tougher than a Red.