Telegraph Grip Machine

Mitch Kirchner

Is the Telegraph grip machine from Iron Mind good for working out thumb and crushing strength? I'm making one right now. I just ordered a NYB wrist roller. When I get it I'm going to use it on a 1 inch bar. Currently I'm using a regular 1 inch wrist roller non supported. Been using it for about 4 years I thought I'm sick this skinny thing. Will I notice More strength gains in a supported wrist roller vs. a regular one?

The TTK is specially for thumb work. You will notice more strength gains in your wrists with a supported roller because you will be able to do more weight. The unsupported roller would work other muscles but detract from the wrist intensity to some degree.

I just ordered a NYB wrist roller. When I get it I'm going to use it on a 1 inch bar. Currently I'm using a regular 1 inch wrist roller non supported. Been using it for about 4 years I thought I'm sick this skinny thing. Will I notice More strength gains in a supported wrist roller vs. a regular one?

I have the NYB Power Wrist Roller and it's a great piece of equipment. You can put a bunch of weight on it and really work the wrists! :D

• 3 weeks later...

What's a reasonable weight to do on the Titan's Telegraph Key for about 5-7 reps, both hands, closed all the way? I read that John Brookfield says it's his single favorite grip exercise if you can only do one grip exercise. Does anyone know how much he closes on the TTK? Thanks.

I recomemnd the squuezer instead. its cheaper and its a couple inches shorter so you can adjust the weights better. on the squeezer i think if you can do 30lbs with either hand for 5-7 reps is pretty damn good. If you put 30lbs on the TTK it will not budge because its longer. I always use my squeezer to build my thumb pad up. the bigger the thumbpad the more leverage you have on grippers :)

pkoire, Thanks for that. I hadn't known about that company before! Is the Squeezer 5" long then from handle to weight-end? So how long is the TTK in comparison? (Obviously I could go measure it myself, but I thought I'd ask anyway.)

So if you're building up your thumb pad, does that mean you would actually more put more of the entire thumb & pad & hand base along the bottom of the bar, instead of *just* the thumb tip?

Related to that, I have IM's Twist-Yo-Wrist wrist roller, which simulates opening a lid on a jar while doing a wrist-roller. I switch back & forth between doing it "strict," with only thumb & finger tips, and also doing it "cheat," with my thumb pad pressing on it (like I would if actually opening a jar). So far there's about, I'd say, a 40% difference between what I can roll strict vs. cheat with my thumb pad resting on it. Is this effect to be expected if I do the same type of motion on the TTK? Thanks.