Grade 5 Conquered

Grh122

A week and a half ago I bent my first grade 5 bolt. Last night I bent another. The first one took me about 4 or 5 minutes and was a massive struggle.. (it was great!) It was way off center and I almost gave up on the crush down (from a 3" spread to well under 2"). I only got it by doubling up my IM blue pads and leather and chest crushing it repeatedly. The neat thing is the threaded part is not straight - it is out of line with the rest of it (picture to come if/when I get a camera).

Yesterday was an off day for me, but I wanted to work on my technique, so I bent a few 60ds that were already slightly kinked. Then I grabbed a G5 that was also slightly kinked (*only* slightly, really). It went down in under a minute. My form was better and I used a lot more forearm muscle to bend it than on the first one.

Some keys to my progress up to this point:

- lots of isometrics with hard steel

- bending up at neck level, not at chest level

- leaning way back at the start of the bend

- about a dozen attempts (false starts) to get it kinked, each time repositioning my hands slightly. This is a huge factor for me. It's also an incredible workout. I almost couldn't keep up with breathing fast enough to keep going ... :whacked

- gripper work as an assistance exercise for my bending - my main goals are bending-related. I had gotten a new IM #4 the week that I did the first grade 5, and had done some crazy attempts with it, along with some heavy negatives on other hard grippers (BB SM and IM #3) a couple days earlier.

- training nearly everyday and finding ways to accelerate my recovery time so I can do this effectively

What I have not done yet is volume bending with 60ds. I have a pile of them to work on and this is my short-term plan. I went from my first 60d to the grade 5 in a week or two, so I only have a handful of bent 60ds to show for my efforts at this point.

I want to say thanks - to all the board members that have provided some really useful tips and information that helped me get to this point. (some of the old bending threads are really informative in this regard, especially the ones that show the evolution of the double overhand style).

Glenn

Nice work with the g5 man. I think doing volume with 60Ds is really beneficial not only to your strength but your technique. Give it a shot and go for a new PR

Congratulations, Glenn, on mastering the grd 5! Don't be afraid to take the hacksaw to that sucker!

- bending up at neck level, not at chest level

- leaning way back at the start of the bend

This Definitly helps a lot. At first I thought that leaning back was not the most efficient way and bad for my spine, but I realized that it gives my upper arms and shoulders more room and leverage to push into the steel.

Great Tips and Great Job Bending the G5!

Have you tried the Grade2?

Great job man. Real nice work, it will come now faster than you realize.

-Sean

Thanks everyone, I got some 5.5 G5's and 6" G8s today, so I've got my work cut out for me ... (not to mention those 60ds that I keep forgetting to do volume on, I guess I am more of an "intensity" bender).

I'll look around for a 5/16 G2 (6" or 7"?). I also have a pack of Reds, and have pre-kinked a few of them for crush-down practice (haven't even moved one a fraction yet).

In the interests of full disclosure, I have an admission to make: my younger brother David beat me to the Grade 5 (he bent his first one back in September). He has hardly done any double overhand bending at all. Over the course of this past year, he would come over occasionally and bend some 1/4" HRS that I would give him to try, using an unusual alternating grip. The last he told me he couldn't do a blue nail and "didn't like bending". I helped him with his technique and he did his first 60d and then a Grade 5 on the same day. Now we are in a race (to the G8 and beyond). His DO form is good - I watched him bend another one several days ago. He did it in about 20 or 30 seconds, using IM pads. He is really an "intensity" bender.

My other brother Warren also bent a Grade 5 two days after my first G5 bend. He doesn't bend much either but is now getting interested in it. He is working on his DO technique. He doesn't have as much explosiveness - I watched him do the hardest brand of 60ds that I have found, and he just used torque from his wrists to bend it.

I do the hard work and they get the easy gains, hehe. But from here on, it's hard work all around.

Glenn