George Jowlett's Anvil

Guest rockblaster

Guest rockblaster

Does anyone know where I can find an anvil with the same design as the one George Jowlett (on Tom Black's website) worked out with?  I just got one from Harbor Freight but Jowlett's design is truly unique.  Any help is appreciated.

Rockblaster,

Try some of these leads;

Centaur Forge LTD...117 N. Spring Street, Burlington WI, 53105

Phone# 414-763-9175

Blacksmith`s Gazette

Phone...360-387-0349

This is a monthly newspaper for blacksmith`s nationwide

ABANA.. American Blacksmith`s Association of North America

www.abana.com

You can go to your address window and type in "Blacksmithing Supplies" and you will get leads from just about every state.

Blacksmiths usually get together in their state a couple of times a year for conferences, shows and demonstrations. They also sell old tools and anvils.

New anvils (talking real ones, could run $2-3 or more per pound) They are not cheap! Used ones still can get $1-2 per

pound. I have seen anvils go for $350.00 up to a $1000

good hunting

Guest regular guy

IMHO you would probably do just as well getting Ironminds' Little Big Horn. It's a lot cheaper and would probably let you know for sure if you really need an anvil. The horn on my 70# NC farriers anvil is much too wide for me to grip. Anvil horns vary greatly in size and shape , depending on what application they're designed for. Good ones are also very expensive. Just my 2 cents worth.   Chris

Guest rockblaster

The anvil I have is a 55-pounder from" Harbor Freight Tools."   The horn fits my hand perfectly.  I feel my entire hand and wrist worked very hard.  It seems to really work my thumb as well as my crushing grip.  I would figure that with with the hole in the anvil I could just add weight as I get stronger--or would I have to get a larger anvil just because of the larger size of the horn and surface.  I wouldn't think so but any thoughts on that?    :)

rockblaster,

Get a scale and WEIGH that anvil.  When I bought mine, the weight on the box says it's 55 pounds.  I took it to work one day and weighted it on our shipping scale - it's actually 50 pounds.  I would say add weight if you can.  A 50 pound anvil isn't sexy when it comes to gripping it.  :D  :D

Guest regular guy

You could add weight to it using the hardy hole or by wrapping chain around the waist. If you have a clear pic of Mr. Jowlett's anvil , a machine shop could alter the horn of yours to a pretty close match. When you grip it by the horn, you put a lot of strain on your wrist. I would be very careful not to overtrain with something that has that much leverage on your wrist and hand. If you can hoist a 55#er by the horn, you're really doing something.

Guest rockblaster

I really like hoisting the anvil by its horn because the horn is both wide and shallow--just enough to make me work hard .  I am trying to be careful not to overtrain.  Right now I am working the anvil twice a week, after weight training.  This is really an asset to my grip training.  Based on the power rush I get from this workout, I would venture to say that if I had only the anvil to work with, I would still develop tremendous overall grip and wrist strength.

I can pick up my 50 pounder by the horn like it's a rat.  I'll add some weight and take a pic of me picking it up.  :p