Just Did My Best Bend Ever!

EricMilfeld

This bolt has been a goal of mine for at least a year. Up until today I've never even been able to kink one. My best effort until today was taking a prekinked one down to approximately 90 degrees.

I can now die a happy bender! :D:tongue It's strange, but my short bar bending (6" and under) has been way off lately, and ever since doing that DU Red my right thumbpad area and wrist have been hurtin' too much to do anything productive with the DU technique. Well, I got some 5/16" hexagonal from Fat Bastard Barbell two days ago that calibrated between the Red and the thick grade 5, and I thought "man, maybe the grade 5 ain't too far off", after taking down a 6.5" piece of the new stock. So feeling pumped up after reading of Turtle's Red certification I attempted some DU and couldn't even start an easy bend before the pain got to me. So, I decided to go for broke and try a grd 5 double overhand. It took 100% effort the ENTIRE way through the bend. I didn't time it, but it was no where near under the two minute mark. But when I can do one in under two minutes I'll videotape a bend for a witness and certify on the Gripboard's bending list. In case you're interested, I used suede about 1/16" thick, which measured a total of 1 1/4" thick when wrapped around the bolt. I'll post a picture of the bolt later tonight after dinner. Here's some interesting info:

Red=415 pounds

FBBC 5/16" Round=440

FBBC 5/16" Hexagonal=485

5/16" Grade 5=520

Wow!! Where do you get the poundage numbers? Those are very mean looking bolts, be real cool to see the vid.

Thanks, ya'll!

Greg, I know you speak from experience. :bow

Deaner, I attach weight from the middle of the bar and deadlift it off the floor with a device that attaches at points 3/4" in from the ends.

This bolt has been a goal of mine for at least a year.  Up until today I've never even been able to kink one.  My best effort until today was taking a prekinked one down to approximately 90 degrees. 

I can now die a happy bender!    :D  :tongue It's strange, but my short bar bending (6" and under) has been way off lately, and ever since doing that DU Red my right thumbpad area and wrist have been hurtin' too much to do anything productive with the DU technique.  Well, I got some 5/16" hexagonal from Fat Bastard Barbell two days ago that calibrated between the Red and the thick grade 5, and I thought "man, maybe the grade 5 ain't too far off", after taking down a 6.5" piece of the new stock.  So feeling pumped up after reading of Turtle's Red certification I attempted some DU and couldn't even start an easy bend before the pain got to me.  So, I decided to go for broke and try a grd 5 double overhand.  It took 100% effort the ENTIRE way through the bend.  I didn't time it, but it was no where near under the two minute mark.  But when I can do one in under two minutes I'll videotape a bend for a witness and certify on the Gripboard's bending list.  In case you're interested, I used suede about 1/16" thick, which measured a total of 1 1/4" thick when wrapped around the bolt. I'll post a picture of the bolt later tonight after dinner.  Here's some interesting info:

Red=415 pounds

FBBC 5/16" Round=440

FBBC 5/16" Hexagonal=485

5/16" Grade 5=520

Congratulations, you bending monster! :bow

Congrats for an incredible bending feat. :bow

Looks like you're stronger than ever lately, Eric.

Must be a great feeling. :rock

I forgot to mention above that the calibrations were attained using a 30 degree bend.

Here's a photo of my defeated bolt:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=3273

And thanks for all the support, everyone! :rock

Eric-

this is exceptional!

that is awesome, congradultions.

Congrats to this worldclass bend, Eric, and to a great PR :bow This is some tough steel, I can't imagine to bend it :bow

That's really impressive - wow! :bow

Eric, thats almost unbelievable!

I remember when i started bending last year i think the debate was hwether or not one of thise would EVER be bent.

Awesome work man!

I'm going to slink back to my 60ds......

:bow Way to go Eric! that makes me hurt looking at it.

Eric,

Always impressive man, always. :bow

-Sean

Awesome work Eric. I'm so glad you are back posting and breaking new ground bending again.

W

Thanks again, guys!

Dub, it's new ground for me, anyways. :) I do hope to become consistently quick with this bend eventually, and then certify on the Gripboard list, but in the meantime I sure would like to see some of the SUPER strong benders make it official with a witness and a video. I know there's several that could (have already) do it. I think Gamidon was right on when he said a few months back that one of these bolts at 6" is doable for some of the top dogs. Wow! I get all goose bumpy thinking about it! :yikes

Awesome job Eric.

Btw...do you have a complete list published anywhere that has the poundage needed to ben all Ironmind stock and FBBC stock and timber ties ?

Thank you!

I've calibrated pretty much all of what FBBC offers and a few of the graded bolts, but other than the Red nail, I haven't calibrated the rest of the IM collection, nor timber ties. If you have a particular TT in question I could try and locate it for calibration, but I currently don't have any IM stock, other than some Reds. And here's the link:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=10343

Eric -

I'll throw a 5/16" x6" Grade 5 in with your order. I have 100 of them in the shop.

John