I Screwed Up My Gripper.

Number Ten Ox

I was extending the handles on my # 3 last night @ work (home depot). I had one handle done and had drilled the hole in the bottom of the other side. Having never tapped threads before I thought everything was going great until... I snapped the bit off inside the handle. Crap.

So now I have a gripper with a wood handle extending off the dogleg side and a nasty spike of metal poking out the bottom of the other side.

I tried to extract the broken bit but its so uneven I had a hard time getting a pilot hole drilled. I thought about just sawing the end off above the bit and doing the same thing on the other side so i'd have a 3+ with extended handles.

Any other ideas?

I was extending the handles on my # 3 last night @ work (home depot).  I had one handle done and had drilled the hole in the bottom of the other side.  Having never tapped threads before I thought everything was going great until... I snapped the bit off inside the handle.  Crap. 

So now I have a gripper with a wood handle extending off the dogleg side and a nasty spike of metal poking out the bottom of the other side.

I tried to extract the broken bit but its so uneven I had a hard time getting a pilot hole drilled.  I thought about just sawing the end off above the bit and doing the same thing on the other side so i'd have a 3+ with extended handles. 

Any other ideas?

can you explane better wood handel? can you get vice grips on the piece sticking out try cutting a slot in the end of the tap with a dremmel tool and use a screw driver to screw it out

Wood handle was made of 3/4" dowel with a hole drilled through center.

Unfortunatly the sharp point that is sticking out is tiny. I tried using a vise grips as a matter of fact but it just broke the piece off smaller. The remainder of the tap is about a 1/4" into the handle. A dremel might be used to gind it down flat enough to drill a pilot hole for the extractor but I wouldn't know what kind of bit to use. Hmmm...

Keep the ideas coming.

drilling into a tap is going to be near impossible wiht any tool at homedepot. youll honestly need a carbide bit to get anywhere. So if you have one of those, go for it, but otherwise i'd try clamping the handle in a vise, (near the spring end) between two wood strips. then heat up the handle end w/a torch to expand it a tiny bit and use a small screwdriver or punch and a hammer and try to tap tap tap the flutes counterclockwise to screw it out. get it out enough to the point where you can grip it w/pliers and twist it out.

If it is only in a tiny bit and its really stuck, then yeah you could cut the handle short and start again. Dont forget lube for the tap this time!

good luck!

~Steve

Wood handle was made of 3/4" dowel with a hole drilled through center. 

Unfortunatly the sharp point that is sticking out is tiny.  I tried using a vise grips as a matter of fact but it just broke the piece off smaller.  The remainder of the tap is about a 1/4" into the handle.  A dremel might be used to gind it down flat enough to drill a pilot hole for the extractor but I wouldn't know what kind of bit to use. Hmmm...

Keep the ideas coming.

Cut the gripper handles shorter and use it as 'hard short handle #3' and buy a RB240. Sweet as a nut! And everybodies happy.

Rydini The Sun Moon And Stars

Edited by watzd411

You must measure how deeply you drilled the hole and mark the tap so it doesn't bottom out and snap off. I would cut it and start again.

take a diamond coated dremmel and drill it or cut the slot in it like i said and use a screwdriver to screw it out also if you making a handel out of wood it wont work it will blow up in your hand on a no 3 spring good luck :D

For any future tapping of aluminum handles, it is best to use spiral fluted taps

and kerosene as the lubricant.

3 fluted taps will break off quite easy in aluminum.

2 and 4 fluted taps will usually jam in aluminum.

I wouldn't attempt to modify my #3 in that manner. I wouldn't trust wood to sustain the extreme pressures needed to work that gripper. Why not just buy several different grippers and "climb the ladder"?? I would probably cut some galvanized conduit handles to slip over the gripper handles if I felt the need to extend them, but hey, I'm new to this, and grippers are a huge weakness for me right now, and frustrate the h**l out of me!! I've broken off more taps, and EZ Outs (in steel, while restoring my old VW bug) than I care to remember....

John Scribner

You said the tap was about 1/4" into the handle right? Well cut 1/4" off the handle and retap that with a steel handle that is 1/4" longer so your handles are the same length :) I wouldn't trust wooden handles either. Tom Black and Bob Lipinski have both lengthened handles using washers. Take a 1.5" long 1/4" thick bolt and stack washers onto the bolt, then thread the bolt into the hole. When you can close it, unscrew the bolt and remove a washer, then screw the bolt back into place.

The general rule of thumb is to keep the tap lubricated well during the twists. Go 2-3 half turns in and then back the tap out. If there are too many metal shavings in the flutes of the tap, they will bind up the tap and break off inside the handle. Just take your time and it will work.

Edited by ClayEdgin

I actually read that article before I started but wanted to try my idea first. I am just going to use the extension to help cheat the gripper shut with my other hand and help in holding it closed. So it will not take the full force of the spring.

I chopped about 5/8" off both ends so I can start the process over if I want. Man is that a tough gripper at the moment...

Anyone know how far down the handle the end of the spring goes?

Thanks

Anyone know how far down the handle the end of the spring go

The springleg of the #3 extends about 3/4 inch past the band.

At the least, past models did.