Started Bending Today

TennisDude

I went to Home Depot and grabbed some nails.

Grip Rite Fas'ners

Hot Galv. (assuming Galvanized) Timber Tie

60d 6"

Where would these rate just so I know where I am at? Was able to bend four, before realizing I better not waste my whole box. I can truly see why bending is so addictive. :)

The wrap I used was a piece of covering for our grill. It is some sort of substance that feels almost like leather, but obviously isn't being a cover and needing to repel water most likely. The inside, the part that touches the nail, is some sort of other lining which I have no clue what it is. I will probably post pictures later.

So could anyone tell me anything about these nails?

Thanks,

TennisDude

They are between the green and yellow nail. If you don't have bolt cutters, the next step would be a grade 2 bolt. Otherwise, get some zinc plated 1/4" round rod from Home Depot. You should be able to use that to bridge the gap to the 1/4" round rod.

They are between the green and yellow nail.  If you don't have bolt cutters, the next step would be a grade 2 bolt.  Otherwise, get some zinc plated 1/4" round rod from Home Depot.  You should be able to use that to bridge the gap to the 1/4" round rod.

I figured they were easy/on the lower echelon.

When you say rod, what do you mean? Grade 2 bolt, isn't a nail right? See, I went to Home Depot and they were really confused when I asked them for 5/16" CRS Nails. I should probably also get some bolt cutters.

Thanks for the reply BTW.

Going up to 5/16" CRS would be quite a big jump up from the Galvanized Timber Ties.

If you go to Home Depot, ask where they have the three to four foot peices of steel rod. There should be a semi-wide selection of colors and flavors.

I would suggest getting a Bolt cutter, buying a few rods, and cutting them up at home into peices between five and six inches. After you are familiar with bending 3/16" CRS peices fast and easy then you should move up to 1/4" x 7" HRS steel rods.

Most of the guys at Home Depot dont know the difference between HRS and CRS, I only know that Hot Rolled Steel has a more darker tint to the steel, and Cold Rolled Steel is more silver looking.

It is good to start off bending slowly as the surface of your hands will need time to toughen. Also I think it is a good idea to experiment with different pads and see how they affect leverage and bending speed. I personally prefer suede and cordura.

Hope this Helps TennisDude. Enjoy Bending!

If I wanted to try a yellow, what should I get?

14 7" 1 / 4" IM IM Yellow Nail

Found that here on GB.

I think my form needs some work. DO doesn't feel like there is enough room for my hands, so I used bender's style. http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/bend.html

Seemed to work well, and felt much more natural to me.

IM Yellow is 1/4" x 7" CRS

Edited by ProfessorKomodo

Thanks a lot for the help ProfessorKomodo!

If CRS is in blue, would you put HRS in red? :laugh

Edited by TennisDude

CORRECTION

Sorry for my Mistake,

HRS has a more Silver color, and CRS has a Dark Grey Tint.

Also I agree about the FBBC Beginner Benders Bag, it really helped me out.

Once you can bend easily the 3/16" stock then it is worthwhile to tape two together to bend.

Edited by ProfessorKomodo

I made a great deal of progress from going through a 30# bucket of the same timber ties that you are playing around with. Towards the end of the bucket, I was going through 50-60 nails in a workout and varying the techniques (DO, DU, whatever) as I progressed through the workout. You'll build up a lot of wrist strength and hand toughness by going through a 30# bucket! Plus, at the end of a workout, you have a pretty impressive stack of bent steel!

I made a great deal of progress from going through a 30# bucket of the same timber ties that you are playing around with.  Towards the end of the bucket, I was going through 50-60 nails in a workout and varying the techniques (DO, DU, whatever) as I progressed through the workout.  You'll build up a lot of wrist strength and hand toughness by going through a 30# bucket!  Plus, at the end of a workout, you have a pretty impressive stack of bent steel!

I just have to get my form down, and get some actual wraps. Form seems most important right now. Should I just watch videos and try to mimic them?

Thanks,

TennisDude