60d Heart

young'un

Heart-shaped spiral 60d

Another shot of the scrolled timber-tie next to a straight 60d

Just thought some of you guys might get a kick out of this bend. I like trying to make different letters out of timberties and 60d's (as opposed to always working for tougher steel). I haven't been bending much, but next time I think I'm going to try to make a heart out of a spiral 100d (that one will probably have to be done braced).

-Jeff

edit url's for pictures

Edited by young'un

havent had a chance to try the spiral 60Ds yet. Would you say they're harder or easier than the regular one you got there in the pic

That's very originial! And it looks like a pretty tough bend, too!

oldtime,

my girlfriend has too many bent gifts already...she's a good sport about them and shows them off to her friends still, but i've kind of exhausted that gift-giving avenue unless i come up with something spectacular (she already has a nameplate, windchimes, flower, bookholders, and toothbrush stand...among other things).

dude,

spiral 60d's are the same thing as 60d timber-ties. usually, they're easier than regular 60d's...once in a while, you find a tough one though. i've never found a timber-tie that was harder than a tough regular 60d. this particular timber-tie was bought from lowes...it felt the same as the 1/4" round rod i've bought from home depot.

-jeff

Great job Jeff.

Just checked out all of your pics. :rock

Awesome. I think I'm gonna start scrolling.

Keep'em coming. I'd like to see some more.

Later, Jason

thanks for the positive encouragement guys!

so basically you did two off center bends and then another in the middle to make that?

i actually made the center-bend on the nail first. i bent it to 90 degrees, then grabbed one leg with my full hand, and put my forefinger in the center of the other leg. i bent the nail over my forefinger with a very wrist-heavy double overhand style. once i had a decent kink in the first leg, i crushed it down, and flipped the nail around so i could repeat with the other leg. the second one was harder b/c the already bent leg provided much less leverage. that gave me the basic shape i wanted...a little straightening on the center-bend and the shape became more heart-like than M-like.

on tough bends, i make a big kink with a reverse style like bender53 shows on his website, but i find that shorter, thinner steel/shaping letters requires me to use a double overhand grip bending over a forefinger.

-jeff