Measuring the distance reached on CoC

jcovin

How does everyone measure how far they have closed a gripper?  Do you hold a ruler in one hand and quickly bring it up to measure while squeezing with the other hand?  I see people posting very specific lengths like 3/16" or 1/8".  I can eyeball it to about 1" or maybe 1/2" precision but it seems like holding a ruler up to measure would require some concentration (and you have to hold the gripper steady while you're doing it! )

I think its all a rough estimate. The idea of us all, me included, with a slide rule is funny   :D

I use a wood board 3/4 thick. Started at 3/4 with the 3. Closed the gripper on it. Sand it down a bit and closed the gripper on it again. Whenever I can close the gripper on the board, I sand it down a bit. I touched both sides of the board with a 1/8 width.

I don't do this in my training. Only when I want to see how much left there is to close it fully.

I just eyeball it, or have my wife do it while holding a tapemeasure to give a good reference point.

Due to the inaccuracy, I just pretty much end up "counting" 1 inch, 1/2 inch, 1/4, or 1/8.

Basically, it boils down to a more subjective system- Completely out of reach, getting there, pretty close, and really #### close.

Go buy some wooden dowel rods at the store.  They come in packs, 3/8, 5/16, 1/4, and 3/16.  These are a very easy way to do it.  I had a real hard time trying to measure, until someone told me about this.

Guest DavidHW

Here's a related question I've been wondering about.

For certification on a particular gripper, or even just to know if you've touched the handles (not everyone mashes a gripper the first time they close it), couldn't you just put a dab of say fingernail polish (about the size of a pinhead) on the inside of the bottom of the handle (where the contact point would be) before closing the gripper? Then, if you close it, the nail polish color will be stuck on the opposite handle indicating "touchage". When you're done, just clean things off with nail polish remover.

Thoughts?

David

Guest baldy

In response to the original question, I have some pennies glued together as "plug gauges" that I stuff between the handles on heavy gripper attempts. Similar to Heath's idea of the dowel rods. Before using these I used to "guesstimate", and I always underestimated the actual distance. Now I know for sure.

However, I have noticed that I cannot close to total max on an object with a gripper that I can't fully close (i.e. I can close slightly further without trying to stick something in between the handles). I have this same problem with strapholds, it is like I lose focus and the gripper goes all astray. Therefore, like Tou said, I don't do it often. Only as a test to see progress.

I sqeeze it to as far as i can get it (#3) then jam hand putty into the bottom so the grippper handles smash teh putty, and the gap is made like a mold(the putty must be out of the container not all warmed up from working it.  Then i measure the stub width.

Guest CanadaCrush

I cut out a small piece of cue card and put markings on it like a ruler. I then tape the piece of card to the bottom of my gripper (my #4) taking careful note to line up 0 with the edge. When I do an attempted close I use my free hand to pull the card tight and gain a somewhat accurate measurement.

Here's a related question I've been wondering about.

For certification on a particular gripper, or even just to know if you've touched the handles (not everyone mashes a gripper the first time they close it), couldn't you just put a dab of say fingernail polish (about the size of a pinhead) on the inside of the bottom of the handle (where the contact point would be) before closing the gripper? Then, if you close it, the nail polish color will be stuck on the opposite handle indicating "touchage". When you're done, just clean things off with nail polish remover.

Thoughts?

David

It's a moot point for a "slight touch" IMO.  Because, to get certified and more importantly a picture, you have to be stronger than that. You have to be able to hold it for a few seconds at least.  The person has to see the handles touching as the witness. And, so does Dr. Strossen via the picture.

If I can close a gripper, I can hold it at least 5 seconds closed. It has been the case with my #2, with my 325 PDA and when I get a good squeeze on my #3, I can hold it at this low distance at least 5 seconds.

I think that a good practice for certification (when you close the #3 and go for certification) is to work very heavy strap holds with the BBM (or a PDA) for 3-5 seconds. It will work the close very hard and you can augment the holding time.

Finally, nothing beats #3 timed holds for certification purposes.