Competitors - Australian Grip Championship 2005

Mikael Siversson

With just a little bit more than two months to go (December 17) I would like to get an idea of how many competitors we can expect to see in Sydney.

I am bringing the harder bending stock over from Perth so it would be good if you can confirm that you will indeed compete.

At this point, I am guessing that we will see at least these competitors taking part in this contest:

Arthur Antonopoulos

Justin Byrnes

Mark Hampton

Nick McKinless

Mikael Siversson

David Stiff

Jeff Tan

Moreover, once we have an up-to-date competitor list we can start the trash talk.

Yes I need to know who the Alpha male is...  :laugh

Well there is little doubt that you would be my bitch Mobster.

I would guess on Mikael :D

And I'm holding my thumbs for him!

Thanks for your support Viktor. It will be very hard to beat Nick though and I don't know much about the other guys abilities.

Both, Mikael and Nick are super strong guys.

Nick probably the stronger pincher.

For me personally it will be very interesting to see how Nick will perform in the Australians compared to Davids COC.

That will be an indicator for Mikaels strength.

Good luck to you two!! :rock

Well there is little doubt that you would be my bitch Mobster.

Which nerve did I sting a little? :flame

Apparently it will be the "Nick & Mikael show" with a few other competitors to make up the numbers and battle it out for the remaining minor placing.

Just keep thinking that fellas. . . . . :D

David

Apparently it will be the "Nick & Mikael show" with a few other competitors to make up the numbers and battle it out for the remaining minor placing.

Just keep thinking that fellas. . . . .  :D

David

That's not what Nick told me, quite the opposite actually. :calm

I think it will take some major grip strength to place in the top three.

There's way too many good grip guys for any domination these days even in Australia. David is built like Jim Wylie with perhaps bigger hands and I expect a big V bar and pinch from him as well as good grippers and One hand Deadlift. Infact he's my pick as an outsider to win it! The bending event may have us all a bit stuffed I think since no one really know what to expect there....Mark has been doing a lot of Powerlifting along with regualr gripping so he'll be in it too. Dont know about the other boys but I'm sure no one is giving it away...should be a solid contest...

Nick

The bending event may have us all a bit stuffed I think since no one really know what to expect there....

I urge you all to get the Euro-bending stock from Arne as we will be using this. The best 60 degree kink at the Euro 2005 with this stock was 6''.

I doubt a 6'' kink with the Euro stock will be enough to win the bending event in Sydney though.

There will also be harder (G8's and Red's) and easier (IM's 1/4'' stock and FFBC's harder 1/4'' stock) stock available. I have been looking for a suitable 8mm CRS between the 8mm HRS Euro-stock and Red's in difficulty but have not been successful. They all have been too close to the Red nails.

The points for the Euro-stock:

7'' = 82.14p

6 3/4'' = 85.18p

6 1/2'' = 88.46p

6 1/4'' = 92.00p

6'' = 95.83p

5 3/4'' =100.00p

5 1/2'' =104.55p

Harder still:

G8-6'' =110.00p

Red-7''=118.00p

It may be overkill bringing cut Red Nails.

Kinking a 7'' Red to at least 60 degrees DU or reverse in one single motion using only a tea towel is a world class feat, especially at the end of a long grip competition. Last time I tried these harder ones I could not even do a G8. I have not given up all hope of doing it at the competition though. We shall see.

Mikael...can you ask Arne to look into sending a bulk item to Sydney for everyone who wants the stock? That way we'll all save on the extortionate shipping prices to Australia...

Nick

Is really the exact same stock so important to train on. I'm not a very good bender, but since I never do the same weights/stock in competition vs training it simply just don't matter. As long as I get stronger I'm happy!

Just buy regular 8mm HRS stock. It works too :D

Says the one who finished last in the bending at the Euros (of those that managed to kink the weakest bar). :trout

Mikael...can you ask Arne to look into sending a bulk item to Sydney for everyone who wants the stock? That way we'll all save on the extortionate shipping prices to Australia...

Nick

Its $150 (including shipping) for about 130 bars. Cheaper than IM's and the bars are very well made with rounded off edges. You can pay Arne using PayPal.

I offered all competitors (on Aussiestrength) to send examples (at no charge) of another, 7mm stock only very slightly weaker than the 8mm HRS.

The number of competitors in Australia responding thus far to this offer is zero.

Arthur asked competitors to tell him what level they are in bending so he does not have to order more than is required for the competition. The number of competitors responding to this is zero (last time I asked Arthur about it).

I will not feel sorry for you Aussies if I beat you in bending in Sydney. ;)

Says the one who finished last in the bending at the Euros (of those that managed to kink the weakest bar). :trout

Well, I said I wasn't a good bender, right? And well, I had my reasons for being so very weak... :(

And it still does not matter which level of strength I'm on, since it's basically progress that matters if you're comparing two different methods in training. And I chose to ignore the fact that different metals got different quailities (like hard kink, easy crushdown etc.) since 2 different stock of HRS does not differ very much, if any. I don't understand why you keep going for other persons weaknesses as an argument for why you are correct and your "opponent" is wrong?

I don't understand why you keep going for other persons weaknesses as an argument for why you are correct and your "opponent" is wrong?

Drop it. This thread is for the competitors in the Sydney competition. Find another thread please.

Mikael's right, no excuses at all for anyone failing. Ample notice has been given.

As for the competition, well it will be a great match up that's for sure. From the looks of things Mikael and Nick are pretty evenly matched in most events. I'd say even in the grippers, Nick ahead in the pinch and the one hand deadlift. The v-bar, well that is going to be the event of the championship and I'm sure the WR will be given more than a slight nudge and Mikael with the edge in the bending.

David, is quietly working away, not giving away much. But his bending and v-bar will be very strong as will his pinch. I also expect Mark to really surprise us this year.

With that short list alone I'll now have to start keeping my log on aussiestrength.com in the lead up to make sure that no one will be too intimidated from competing :blush

The great thing is that every position will be hotly contested and we will see a number of battles through the competition from first to last.

I can't be confirmed to compete at this stage unfortunately. I'm struggling to find motivation through my constant injuries. At the moment my right wrist is injured pretty bad and my left has still not recovered from the comp 2 years ago.

Sorry to hear that Jeff. I think the competition will be moved to the end of February, so 2005 (like 2004) will not see an Australian grip championship.

Hopefully, we can stick to February in the future so we get some continuity.

It's being moved?! :(

Oh well, I'm in no matter when it is... as long as something like my mother getting married doesn't come up... this being the reason I am missing a powerfliting contest in november ;)

Well Arthur and Nick asked me what I thought about moving it as most people might be busy with Christmas etc.

I does not matter to me (other than probably paying less for the flight in February) when it is held but have a word with Arthur as he is the main organiser.

I have sent off the 8mm HRS Euro standard bending stock to Eric Milfeld who kindly agreed to calibrate it.

The FFBC's 1/4'' square stock is probably a better alternative for harder steel than G8's as the latter is not available in lengths longer than 6'' as far as I know.

I will find out on Friday if I can kink a 7'' square stock to 60 degrees. If I can't I just have to get stronger.

Once I get the results from Eric I will post the full points formula for the 7'' 1/4'' FFBC round stock all the way up to a 5 1/2'' 1/4'' square stock from FFBC (both stocks already calibrated by Eric) with the 8mm HRS Euro stock as an inbetweener.

Please let Arthur know if you think you will not be able to manage a 7'' 1/4'' FFBC round stock, so he can order the softer 1/4'' IM stock as well.

I just got a shippment of the 8mm HRS Euro stock from Arne Persson. I can send anyone competing in Aussie Grip comp. a 7'' free of charge so you can see if it is within your strength to kink it to 60 degree with a tea towel (one piece or split) as wrapping.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the Australian Grip Championships is moving to the 25th February 2006.

A venue will soon be finalised so we should be ready to go.

Also the rules have been updated. So if you are competing please check out the rules list for all events at AGC Updated Rules.

There is also a printable version of the rules available on the site.