Im Blue

diesel

i had posted this on GM, but wanted to post it here for any suggestions or comments from the 'big boys.'

http://nic4.zippyvideos.com/gallery.z

i am kicking up my volume quite a bit in hopes to attempt a red by early november.

my plan as of today:

friday, 20 blues

october: 60ds, working up to high volume

november: red attempt

Nick-

I would recommend getting some grade 5s and grade 8s, and then also try some HR 5/16.

Unless you can just be like burner, who went from a blue to red in one day. who knows?

Another option is 7" x 1/4" square.

A bit easier than the Red but at the same length.

I know some guys who can bend a square but not the Red so its a good intermediate, especially if you're going with 60Ds, G5s or G8s which are all 6" long.

looks to me. but i'm no expert :blush i think you can do the red now as fast as you did that blue faster than me when i did a blue and i did a red its mostly mental when you feel the red fight back keep at it that last bit is when it bends

Not to put you down or anything, but i think your taking the red a little too lightly, i am bending grade5's as fast as that, and still struggle a little on a red...

bendin aint somthin you wanna rush...

i appreciate all the comments and suggestions greatly. i am going to think about what i am going to do for a little longer before i make my home depot run this weekend.

if any of you guys have any last words on what i should do, shouldn't do, etc, i would love to hear em. thanx again guys

my last input would be, bridge the gap over the stream and walk, dont try to sprint and jump. :D

The jump from blue to red is hughe, you will want to incorporate grade 5's at 6 inches down to 5 then some grade 8's and 1/4 square, and work up slowly.

I also think levering is essintial if you want to go places with bending.

i appreciate all the comments and suggestions greatly.  i am going to think about what i am going to do for a little longer before i make my home depot run this weekend.

if any of you guys have any last words on what i should do, shouldn't do, etc, i would love to hear em.  thanx again guys

I would buy about 20 or 30 60ds from several different hardware stores. I have one brand from a Home Depot nearby that is an ideal step up from the blue. They are 6 cents a piece and I think this is the cheapest thing out there to bend. I will be using these for volume soon. Watch out though, I found a different brand of 60ds from a different Home Depot that were easier than yellows (cheap nails, if they had been for a project of some type I would have taken them back.).

I found a third brand at a local Ace hardware store that are even tougher, I'd estimate them as very close to a grade 5 bolt.

Grh122 wrote:

I would buy about 20 or 30 60ds from several different hardware stores. I have one brand from a Home Depot nearby that is an ideal step up from the blue. They are 6 cents a piece and I think this is the cheapest thing out there to bend. I will be using these for volume soon. Watch out though, I found a different brand of 60ds from a different Home Depot that were easier than yellows (cheap nails, if they had been for a project of some type I would have taken them back.).

I found a third brand at a local Ace hardware store that are even tougher, I'd estimate them as very close to a grade 5 bolt.

Grh122, can you tell us exactly what the 60-D brand is at HDepot that is that ideal step up from the Blue?

Nick...while you likely could do some damage to a Red now, I think it makes more sense to work on intermediates inbetween the Blue and Red. That way you should be hopefully soon be taking out Reds and with minimal risk of injury.

.. neilkaz ..

Edited by neilkaz

Grh122, can you tell us exactly what the 60-D brand is at HDepot that is that ideal step up from the Blue?

yes please

yes please

Fortunately I looked them up online about a week ago and remembered the name "Grip Rite". The manufacturer or distributor (not sure which) is called "Prime Source BP". web site: http://www.primesourcebp.com/fasteners.asp

This nail fits perfectly on the progression ladder from blue to the next step. Given the blue rating as 260 lbs., I would rate this nail at somewhere between 290 and 310. I have bent 3 or 4 of these (kinked them DU, finished on a different day DO). I plan to spend a lot of time doing volume work with them in the near future on my path to the grade 5.

Hope you can find them, but if not, check out every hardware/lumber store possible ... I'm sure there are other similar brands.

just wanted to let you guys know i bought 125 60ds of the grip rite brand.

i was planning on waiting till wednesday, cause my workout yesterday was real hard, but could not resist the steel's calling.

took down two of them double overhand. the first one was about 10-15 secs, cause i was having trouble with the crushdown (didn't take the initial kink far enough), but the second i got done in about as much time as it took me for the blues, with exactly a 1" gap.

plan on doing about 15-20 of these wednesday.

thanx for all the advice and comments guys. i will be sure to take it into account with the following weeks.

Nick, your form looks great, and you seem to be on the right track. You may also want to try and get some "goal" stock: something you are aspiring to bend, something you can only kink right now. I really believe that working with a nail or bolt that's just out of reach is crucial to making big gains, provided your tendons have undergone some conditioning and your comfortable with your form. The way you did that Blue suggests that a grd 5 is right around the corner.