Olympic Vs. Standard Plates

jackcrow

Is there an advantage to either one? Does anyone have a preference?

I know to look out for plates that are too slick, but I'm looking for more info. I plan on buying more grip equipment very soon (imagine that :D ) and I need to choose which platform to base my equipment on.

I think it depends on if you are planning on using the weights on a barbell ever.. If you are, then go olympic. If you dont plan on getting a barbell then go with the exercise plates, they take up less space. Also you can get ones with no pattern or letters molded in them which makes for good pinching and plate curling.

my $.02

~Steve

If you'repinching I gotta go with my personal favorite, Hampton Plates. Unfortunatly I just googled them and the new ones have those handles built in. But, if you can find an old set on eBay or something, they seems to have another 1/2" of thickness over an oly plate and they do fit most barbells.

the best thing about olympic plates is all of the above but the main reason to use them is the strength of the bar . over 1,200 psi and more .you can find a good bar for standard plates but its hard :blink and trying to find 50s 75s and 100s plates is a task to i have about 3 thousand pounds of old york plates and when we lift we use my olympic plates and bars i use the one inch for the cable machine to load it and to make dumbbells and even for dumbbells if you have the old yorks the plates are thick and a 150 lb dumbbell is like 3 feet long :) so i would get olympic if you live in canada i would get international plates big hub and they are molded just like the old yorks

I have equally both. It depends on what you're doing.... I've found that for heavy lifting the Oly plates come in great, and for certain types of equipment like grip machines and DB lifting I go to the standard plates.

Nice site - some good stuff there.

I have equally both.  It depends on what you're doing.... I've found that for heavy lifting the Oly plates come in great, and for certain types of equipment like grip machines and DB lifting I go to the standard plates.

Agreed. I prefer the 1" esp for dumbbells.