I Really Thought I Was Going To Close The #3 Today

Captain Crunk

I was having a really good gripper workout at the gym today, shutting my BBSM (2 7/8 spread that I can tell) for sets of 5,6 and 8 which were all PRs for me. I went home thinking I had a chance but nope my #3 stopped up like a brick on me! A little dissapointing. I think Im going to have to work on my BBGM before I finally get that #3

Youll get it soon enough, I rate that GM I sold you a average #3. So I know you can't be too far from closing it. Whats the year and the spread of your #3 ?

Youll get it soon enough, I rate that GM I sold you a average #3. So I know you can't be too far from closing it. Whats the year and the spread of your #3 ?

My #3 is a 05 with a 3 inch spread. So my guess is that it is pretty normal for the new 3s.

I noticed that the 05 grippers are pretty hard. I got an 05 #3 with a 3 inch spread and its pretty hard too. feels a bit harder than your GM. not much. I rate my #3 like a 3.1. :)

I went home thinking I had a chance but nope my #3 stopped up like a brick on me! A little dissapointing. I think Im going to have to work on my BBGM before I finally get that #3

Try this: DON'T do any warmup at all on the grippers. None whatsoever.

Take a few days off, and then come back and try to close your #3 COLD. See what happens.

I'm thinking you wasted most of your strength on the warmup and then when you tried your #3 you had nothing left in the tank.

Side note: when you try that #3 again... throw a wee bit of anger :happy into it!

Try this:  DON'T do any warmup at all on the grippers.  None whatsoever.

My advice (be careful, I am no gripper expert at all):

Do very vew warmup closes on easy to medium grippers, do some high intensity - low volume squats between. Two days ago I hit a PR (closed my RB240) with the following warmup:

coc Trainer: 1 repetition

coc#1: 1 repetition

squat lockout (only 3-4 inch ROM): 6 reps @ 45% of 1-rep-max

coc#2: 1 repetition

squat lockout: 2 reps @ 75% of 1RM

RB210: 1 repetition

squat lockout: 2 reps @ 85% of 1RM

RB240 PR attempt (successful)

Don't pause overly long between sets.

Next time I try a gripper PR I will use a similar warmup for sure.

Greetings

Gerrit

Sybersnott may have hit something in his post about hitting the heavy gripper cold. Of course this doesn't exactly WORK for everyone it does work for some. I, for one am successful with this method. Smash that heavy gripper out of the gates!

Sybersnott may have hit something in his post about hitting the heavy gripper cold.  Of course this doesn't exactly WORK for everyone it does work for some.

I feel a long and heavy grip workout prior to hitting a major gripper tends to sap the strength.

This is why I suggest trying that PR gripper cold. This way, your strength is there and waiting to be utilitized at the very beginning. :)

You THEN go into the grip workout after first trying your PR gripper! :happy

I agree with Sir Snott, but I would add: Do something to get the blood flowing before you crush, e.g. soak your hands in hot water, or open and close them 10 times very fast.

I went home thinking I had a chance but nope my #3 stopped up like a brick on me! A little dissapointing. I think Im going to have to work on my BBGM before I finally get that #3

Try this: DON'T do any warmup at all on the grippers. None whatsoever.

Take a few days off, and then come back and try to close your #3 COLD. See what happens.

I'm thinking you wasted most of your strength on the warmup and then when you tried your #3 you had nothing left in the tank.

Side note: when you try that #3 again... throw a wee bit of anger :happy into it!

This is a good idea, how ever when i try it i run into a few problems.

My hands dont have any blood flow, and i just feel weak till i warmup, atleast a little.

What i find works well is, try out your new pr after a bench workout or deadlifts.

This tends to wake you up and your hands, i usualy feel very strong grip wise after a workout.

This is a good idea, how ever when i try it i run into a few problems.  My hands dont have any blood flow, and i just feel weak till i warmup, atleast a little.

Your hands DO have bloodflow, just not the type of bloodflow that you want. Try massaging your hands or even do some light stretching on the fingers.

What i find works well is, try out your new pr (gripper) after a bench workout or deadlifts.  This tends to wake you up and your hands, i  usualy feel very strong grip wise after a workout.

Yeah, you can do this also. Point I'm trying to make is DON'T get into a hand workout and then try to bust out a PR on a particular gripper.

Do something to get the blood flowing before you crush, e.g. soak your hands in hot water, or open and close them 10 times very fast.

Exactly. I have this wierd habit of sometimes closing my hand into a fist and pretending that I'm crushing the crap out of a very hard gripper! :D

i personaly would just squeeze one of those crappy wal-mart grippers for about 30 reps just to make sure ure hand has gone through the motion and is fairly warm, then... CRUSH THAT 3#!