Gripper Strength As A Proxy For Overall Strength

rbrown

do any of you find that your performance on grippers can give you an indication as to where your overall strength is. On Saturday I felt exceptionally weak from being beat down at work, etc. I felt my strength was not good at all on my deadlifts or other compound movements. I also noticed that the grippers felt unusually hard. I was wondering if this could result in me being able to pick up a #1 or #2 and see how easy or hard it feels. If it feels easy I may be overall strong on that day. If it feels harder than it should then maybe it is not a good day to try for maxes, etc.

thoughts?

do any of you find that your performance on grippers can give you an indication as to where your overall strength is.  On Saturday I felt exceptionally weak from being beat down at work, etc.  I felt my strength was not good at all on my deadlifts or other compound movements.  I also noticed that the grippers felt unusually hard.  I was wondering if this could result in me being able to pick up a #1 or #2 and see how easy or hard it feels.  If it feels easy I may be overall strong on that day.  If it feels harder than it should then maybe it is not a good day to try for maxes, etc.

thoughts?

I get the same feelings...in fact, i use my grippers to gauge if i'm going to train or not. If my SM feels easy, I train, if it feels hard, or i can't close it, i will rest.

I agree at least insofar as that overall feeling strong goes. If I wake up and feel good sometimes, and I really feel my energy building I know it will be the day to try for PR's.

It usually will apply especially to the grippers in my case, I will not have to try them..on those days I know I will do well.

I am curious about this relating to overall type training.

when lifting- do most of you have a set program that you go by design?

or do you go by feel and then decide what to train that day?

this is one of the toughest things to decide when training. the fine line between needed rest and pushing yourself even when you don't feel your best.

thoughts?

I would have to say i do not gauge my gripper strength in direct corelation to my regular workout. Especially if I grab a gripper and it feels hard, but then go and do a set or two of squats to get the blood moving, then I go back and crush said gripper! I guess I understand the mood aspect of it or mental block but I could never let myself dictate to teh rest of my body based on how my hands feel, there just too small of a muscle group.

when lifting- do most of you have a set program that you go by design?

or do you go by feel and then decide what to train that day?

I like a set workout schedule so even on days I get up and I feel like crap I still go to the gym. If I went when I felt like it I'd probably skip all the time, lol. Plus I can look back at my workouts and decide what works for me and whats not.

For some reason when I grab the grippers in the morning I'm not nearly as good as I am at night. If always feels like my hands are puffy. I do feel strong when I do good on the grippers that day in the gym, but even on bad days with the grippers once I get in the gym and the blood starts moving I'm just as strong I feel.

Definitely Ryan. Your hands are a direct insight into your CNS. You know the days you go into the gym and the iron feels cold and not quite right - you're probably run down and overtrained. Definitely a key indicator.

I remember one day I had that nothing went right. I couldn't lift crap.

At that point, I knew I was having an "off day"... I packed it in and went home.

Definitely Ryan.  Your hands are a direct insight into your CNS.  You know the days you go into the gym and the iron feels cold and not quite right - you're probably run down and overtrained.  Definitely a key indicator.

I think so also. On days when I have been super strong in my training I've come back even tired and crushed grippers, lifted the inch for reps, etc. On other days I have a crappy workout after getting killed at work or whatever and I can't go anything on grippers either.

I may keep some records of this going forward and what correlation I see.

I see nothing that links the two at all. If my hands are fried, my legs might be fresh and strong. I don't even find that great a relationship to other aspects of grip - pinch or fatbar as examples, some of course but not that much. Maybe it's because I always suck at grippers.

I'm with you Ryan. Whenever I go downstairs and try to hit some grippers when I'm feeling sluggish or just plain lazy, I never do well.

Some days it feels like it takes my hands a while to get warmed up.

I may not feel that great from the get go but after a while I am able to make progress.

sometimes you just don't have enough blood running through you and your nervous system isn't stimulated yet