V-bar

Starkmann

quick question.

A v-bar, what exactly is it. Whenever I hear the name I think of bar that looks likea cable attachment with a bend in it so it makes a V shape. You grab it with both hands and pull. When I have seen of acouple "vbar" videos it looks like someone just grabs a loading pin and lifts it off the ground (with a lot of plates on it of course). Could someone clarify for me?

V-bar stands for vertical bar. It looks pretty similar to a loading pin, just a 1" steel bar with a flat plate welded on the bottom.

anyone try a 2.5 or 3" vbar? seems like it would be fun.

less weight might be easier on the skin too....

~Steve

Edited by Revtor

what length is generally used in competition, 24" ? I think I'm gonna make one out of a pipe at home to try this out.

anyone try a 2.5 or 3" vbar?  seems like it would be fun.

less weight might be easier on the skin too....

~Steve

I work with a 2" v-bar alot it dose help keep the skin on. I seem to have carry over from that to the 1".

I made a 3/4" V-bar and tried it for a while as an experiment. It hurt like crazy and didn't help at all. I think Nick idea has a lot of merit. I went back in my notes and I did my big V-bars when I was doing big finger curls - hummmmm

Everyones body is different and responds differently to what it si subjected to.Myself I'm with my brother nick on the 2" kick it leves more skin on my hand and makes the 1 " seem alot easier. I train with a 2" probaly several times a month and don't barely touch a 1"( actualy I think I've done 1" 3 or 4 times this year) and every time I do 1" I improve on my numbers.

quick question.

A v-bar, what exactly is it. Whenever I hear the name I think of bar that looks likea cable attachment with a bend in it so it makes a V shape. You grab it with both hands and pull. When I have seen of acouple "vbar" videos it looks like someone just grabs a loading pin and lifts it off the ground (with a lot of plates on it of course). Could someone clarify for me?

I have a video of my new vBar from FBBC if you want to see it PM me

How much of a difference is there between a 1" pipe with a flange and a 1" CRS bar? I really like doing vbar with my loading pin from ironmind.

I have also tried it reversing my grip, going thumb up, with and without using my thumb, very cool too and I'd bet a greaty forearm builder.

Deaner - 1" CRR (cold roll round) is exactly 1". 3/4" pipe has an OD of 1.05". I have several v-bars and after they season - they all lift the same. Now 1" pipe has an OD of 1.33" - you want to use 3/4" for your V-bar - pipe is measured on the inside. But strangely enough even that isn't accurate. But the idea of a 3/4" pipe with flange works just fine.

Edited by climber511

I was just thinking that.. Instant cheap V-Bar 3/4 pipe with a flange screwed on, or a 1.5" pipe with a flange for olympic plates... they sell 18 and 24" lengths at the depot, so its easy and cheap to make.. get a shorter length and you have a loading pin for whatever other kinds of grip apparatus yo can imagine. a 2" pipe nipple, 4" long with a few layers of electrical tape makes a good Inch replica handle on the cheap...

Its gotten to the point where whenever I want to try a new exercise I am going to Homedepot rather than a fitness or weights store.. : )

~Steve