Made My Thickbar, Will It Hold?

doublewhopper

I went to home depot today and bought black schedule 40 pipe in a 7 foot section. then I took it home and filled it with 5000 psi extra heavy duty concrete. It will take a full 28 days to completely cure but I would expect that after that it would be able to hold at least 600lbs. I am going to completely load it up when it is cured to test it.

What does everyone think about those predictions and has anyone else filled their hollow bars with concrete? Thanks

I went to home depot today and bought black schedule 40 pipe in a 7 foot section.  then I took it home and filled it with 5000 psi extra heavy duty concrete.  It will take a full 28 days to completely cure but I would expect that after that it would be able to hold at least 600lbs.  I am going to completely load it up when it is cured to test it.

What does everyone think about those predictions and has anyone else filled their hollow bars with concrete?  Thanks

good idea the concrete will help it from bending at work we fill car stoppers with concrete if we don't use it and a truck backs into one it bends but the ones filled they bend slightly and are in better shape :)

I went to home depot today and bought black schedule 40 pipe in a 7 foot section.

Uh, did you make sure that you can FIT Olympic plates on that?? 2" diameter is what's measured inside of the pipe, not outside.

Let us know! It sounds liek a good idea. During yoru stress tests will you do any that includes dropping the bar from certain heights, like to simulate a clean or push press?

I plan on using the bar for heavy deads, pressing overhead and flat and arm and grip stuff. I don't plan on droping it from overhead I think I could get away with that if I lifted in a sand pit outside or something. I am hoping that 500-600 will hold on the bar. I want to lift right away with the bar but the cement won't be at 5000 psi until 28 days. and I want it completely solid.[

I went to home depot today and bought black schedule 40 pipe in a 7 foot section.  then I took it home and filled it with 5000 psi extra heavy duty concrete.  It will take a full 28 days to completely cure but I would expect that after that it would be able to hold at least 600lbs.  I am going to completely load it up when it is cured to test it.

What does everyone think about those predictions and has anyone else filled their hollow bars with concrete?  Thanks

good idea the concrete will help it from bending at work we fill car stoppers with concrete if we don't use it and a truck backs into one it bends but the ones filled they bend slightly and are in better shape :)

If he got 1 1/2 pipe it has an outside diameter of 1.9" a good site to get real diameters of nominal pipe measurements is vogel tool and die http://www.vogeltool.com/ansi.html

• 2 weeks later...

You are lucky, the Home Depot near me only has that stuff in 10' lengths, I'm gonna have to do some cutting. I bought a cheap set of olympic ring collars that I'm gonna weld on as weight stoppers, and I was gonna fill the bar up with concrete too. Please post on how that works out so I know what to do. Also, I wonder what the finished weight of the bar will be. I suspect that it will be more than the 45 lbs of an Olympic bar.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay today I stress tested my homemade thick barbell filled with high strength concrete. results are it held in my powerrack 585lbs. I didn't go any further because I did not want to damage the bar, but I was pleased with that.

Nice. Do you know how much the bar weighs with the concrete in it? I'm about to fill mine, seems like a good thing to know so I can be accurate in my training log.

Close enough for government work. Thanks for the info.

I didn't go any further because I did not want to damage the bar, but I was pleased with that.

Create MAJOR damage!! :D You paid for it... c'mon... USE it!! Now is not the time to be shy - load it up and see what you can do on it!! :bow

just for your info, if it is plain concrete the 5000psi is measured for compressive strength. not flex (which is the type of force applied to barbell lifting) if you want more flex strength you need to add a plastisizer or other compound, the rebar suggestion with concrete is also great.

just for your info, if it is plain concrete the 5000psi is measured for compressive strength.  not flex (which is the type of force applied to barbell lifting)  if you want more flex strength you need to add a plastisizer or other compound, the rebar suggestion with concrete is also great.

you are right lenny but the way the concrete is pored in between the pipe it would have to shrink and slide out for the pipe to bend or the pipe will crack and snap at the point of the bend but it is almost as strong as steel