G-Rex 621

strongmitts

Does anyone here have the G-Rex 621 by Sorinex?  What kind of weights are yall using on this thing?  I have been training with it a bit and did 175X6 today crushing using both hands.  These were done in a strict fashion with my body weight bearing down on my the top bar and not deadlifting the weight up.  I'm sure most of yall can manage alot more, I was just trying to get some numbers to shoot for.  I can close my CoC #2 for 4-5 reps on a good day to kind of correlate that with the G-Rex.  I am actually taking a break from the grippers and trying to strengthen the other aspects of my grip.  I think the G-rex is really strengthening the sweep of my crushing grip which was not to strong.      :D

I don't have the G-Rex machine myself, but I heard that it's very good.  And I congratulate you on using a grip machine to improve your grip/crushing strength!  :)

I'm using the SW and making very good gains on it.  I think the grippers can only do so much - I like "negatives" training, and a grip machine is perfect for that.  Use HEAVY weights (as heavy as you can handle), and TRAIN HARD!!  Do you have a IM #3?  This will help you to guage your progress as you use the machine.... you'll know how far you have to go.  I'm guessing that your goal is to eventually close the #3, so use the machine to achieve that goal.  You'll get there!  Good Luck!!  :D

i have the g-rex, what an awesome piece of machinery! i haven't tried crushing with two hands yet, i crush one hand at a time on the smaller handles- no impressive weight yet really, about 75 pounds for sets of 3x5. i've also done bodyweight + 50 pounds (standing on the pedals) for two handed negatives and man is that painful.

Sybersnott, I do have an Ironmind #3 gripper that I have gotten down to around 1/4" a long time ago.  One of the main problems I've had with my #3 is getting it set properly.  I think a stronger sweep would remedy this problem.  The G-Rex is a really good piece, my only complaint is that it doesn't close up tight enough.  So it probably won't help much with my close, but I can develop a sweep that will pop cans!  What kind of program do you do with the negatives?  I've done a Kinney type program of multiple single severe negatives on my Ivanko gripper (before I got the G-Rex) for a while but become stale quickly with this method.       :D

Tomfitz, I have been enjoying the G-Rex also.  It has put some fire back in my grip training.  I've done some sets with the single handle and around 70 pounds for some reps was tough.  Done any pinching on it yet?  What kind of weights?  Are you working on the Ironmind #3 gripper or just all around hand strength?   :D

Glad you fellers are liking the ol'   G -Rex. I feel it covers the three important aspects of grip strength..supporting...crushing ....pinching. Thanks for your feedback! RS

Guest baldy

I have one, and I really like mine. I have not worked crushing with it in a bit because I am just getting back to the grippers, but I have done some pinching recently on it - it is very challenging. When I crush on it I use the 3/4" handles.

Whoever said that it "didn't close up tight enough", I found that my crush range was very weak at the close (on a gripper) so that posed a problem for me too. To remedy that I took it to a buddy's welding shop, we heated the botttom 3/4" handle (at the base) with a torch and hammered it up just a little. It didn't take much to get it the way I wanted it, now it closes up just like a gripper. The ends of the handles touch, and the top (where the index finger and thumb rest) has a slight gap in it. Once this modification was done I had to lower the weights I used by about 25 - 30 lbs.

Also since my hands are small I sometimes put a 5 or 10 lb plate underneath the sled, thereby shortening the beginning range of motion. The design of the GREX lends itself well to this kind of quick adjustment. All in all it is just what I wanted, a solid-built multi-purpose grip machine that was free standing. Also the price is very competitive if you look at the other grip machines on the market today, and the GREX can be used for more than just crushing. The pinch ears on the GREX feel better (IMO) than my TTK, they have more of a natural range of motion that simulates plate pinching.

baldy, That's a really good idea.  I've thought about modifying it somehow to make it close up tighter, but never really thought of it that way.  I'm gonna give that a try.  Thanks   :D

That gap on the 3/4 inch handles was not an oversight but a saftey measure to protect our big handed gripsters from getting pinched...literally. The large main handles were left a generous distance apart to give that all important pre stretch (think about pinching those wide old 45s) and to work that often neglected thumb as is the case with nutcracker type grippers. Remember the thumb is HALF of your grasping strength and aspiring gripsters often forget to work this missing link! PS..... Got a new toy called "the Missing Link" its simple,but does give you scary strong digits!

Guest baldy

Mr Sorin, that explains why I had to modify it - I have small hands. I didn't think of it as an oversight, I assumed the distance was "by design" for some reason.  Now I understand.

Re: the "missing link", when do we get to see some pictures?

Strongmitts, no problem. I hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

The Missing link 1 and 2 shallgo with me to the meeting in Kentucky this weekend. The more I play with these the better I like em'. I will try to get a few pictures while I am there.

• 3 weeks later...

Some time ago Mr. Baldy asked me about the missing link (1 and two) I did show them in use on my video tape done in Georgetown. We recd. an Email from a 4 time Olympian that is a REAL strong guy asking if 55lb (plus the 7 lb apparatus was a good bit for the 4 inch wide missing link # 1 pinch block .....Son Bert who has been closing his #3 lately hauled up 72 1/2 and I got lucky with 80. On the REAL toughie the Missing link #2 I managed 71 (this is not only 4 inches wide but has a "slip out plate" sandwiched between the two grip areas and attached to the weight holder. This slip plate is just begging to to fall to the floor at the first drop in squeeze pressure making it a close representation of the old style paired York 45s in the pinch lift.

Guest baldy

Mr Sorin, do these Missing Links come as a package deal or does someone order one or the other? How about getting Bert to put some pictures in the gallery? They sound really interesting, especially the "slip plate" idea.

Glad to hear that Bert is playing with his #3 again. You told me you had seen him close it a handful of times a while back, but you said he never really wanted to use the grippers consistently. Must be nice to just pick it up and close it if you want. Is he still power cleaning a house? How about throwing? With his explosive strength and powerful grip, I could see him put an Inch replica overhead in short time if he put his mind to training for it.

Bert opened the throwing season with a 222 foot hammer throw. He with NO practice OR warmup walked into my office clearly shut the # 3 laughed, and walked out, back to his office without a word. The first production run of the Missing link One is finished and that tough son of a gun the Missing Link Two is going into production Monday. Both, will humble  some of you as they did me..............RS

Guest baldy

Great to hear the throwing is going well. No warmup, wow. I don't think I could safely close my #2 with no warmup. Someone needs to challenge him to put y'alls Inch replica overhead.

As for the Missing Links, please keep us posted.