Broken Thumb

gopher

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm 17 years old. I've been grip training since the start of the summer. In that period of time, I gained the strength to close the COC#2 with less than parallel set (I was also a hair from the BBSM), tear a deck of plastic coated cards in less than 20 seconds, and burst a can of soda fairly quickly.

Last week, I sprained and fractured my right thumb. I'm in a cast for three more weeks. Is there any grip exercises I can do without putting too much stress on my thumb? (I was thinking maybe open hand work.) I would really not like to have to spend to much time getting back to full strength, because I would like to close the COC#3 and lift the Blob before my one year anniversary.

Also, last night, I learned that I can tear a phone book with a broken thumb in a cast. The first I did was 1" and the second was 1 1/4". Has anyone done this? I'll try to get a 2" book before I get my cast off. If I do, I'll try to post a video.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm 17 years old. I've been grip training since the start of the summer. In that period of time, I gained the strength to close the COC#2 with less than parallel set (I was also a hair from the BBSM), tear a deck of plastic coated cards in less than 20 seconds, and burst a can of soda fairly quickly.

Last week, I sprained and fractured my right thumb. I'm in a cast for three more weeks. Is there any grip exercises I can do without putting too much stress on my thumb? (I was thinking maybe open hand work.) I would really not like to have to spend to much time getting back to full strength, because I would like to close the COC#3 and lift the Blob before my one year anniversary.

Also, last night, I learned that I can tear a phone book with a broken thumb in a cast. The first I did was 1" and the second was 1 1/4". Has anyone done this? I'll try to get a 2" book before I get my cast off. If I do, I'll try to post a video.

Thanks in advance.

My suggestion would be....Leave it for a while! REST! If you aggravate the fracture it will take a lot longer to heal which means a lot longer before you can train hard again.

Sometimes REST is the best option.

Claes

Gopher, nows the perfect opportunity to train the weaker hand. Since most of us often neglect the weaker hand. This maybe just what the doctor ordered. I just smashed my finger today with a hammer so ill be out of action for a couple weeks. I need the time to recover anyway.But my advice would be to let the injury fully recover and train the weaker of the two hands.

REST!!!!

Trust me, you dont want to use it for anything, i broke my thumb in may, when i got out of the cast i started grip work, and my thumb went offcenter, so now my thumb bone is off by 10 degrees, It sint much, but i would definatly do it again.

REST!!!!

Trust me, you dont want to use it for anything, i broke my thumb in may, when i got out of the cast i started grip work, and my thumb went offcenter, so now my thumb bone is off by 10 degrees, It sint much, but i would definatly  do it again.

definitely not do it again :D

You will have to rest it, but if you want it to still be strong you can do some pinch work with your non-broken thumb. It's a common training tatic to work one side of the body because your body doesn't like to be off balance (or else it couldn't function right) so it will strengthen the other side too. Not as good as the real deal mind you but it's better than nothing. Now don't try to train extra hard to make up for it, just do like you normally would with the hand that's fine. Definately rest it because I bet the surrounding connective tissues are inflamed and not ready for stress as well.

One word: rest

Ok. I'll try. Thanks guys. And what about Powerball rehabilitation?