Horseshoes

deaner

Anyone know a good source for ordering some? I'd kinda like to get some starter ones and maybe a few to work up to, kinda itching to try one.

look in gamidons blog

he ordered some from...

St. Croix

google horseshoes or ferriar

i would reccomend looking for a barn first, because they just throw there old horseshoes away

Edited by carusom1

I've been trying to find them for a while, horse ferriers commute all over the place so if you cant get ahold of one directly then your best bet is finding someone with a horse. They just throw them away half the time.

I've asked 2 people so far and all they did was laugh when I said I needed them to bend. They still haven't brought them to me because they think I'm joking.

Once you bend one for them the Laughing tends to stop. :D A ferrier is where my bro gets most of his shoes.

Ive been buying them from tractor supply, the #1 Hind are a pretty good beginner shoe. Even if you get some tough ones you can get a feel for them by using a 3/4 x 3in pipe and place it over one end. This increases your horsepower and allows you to bend heavier shoes and still get a feel for the form. Start by just starting the bend a little and then taking over with hands to see if you can further the bend...This has been working very well for me at least..........Brett

Whats the required technique in bending the shoe? Do you try and close the ends together or open it up and try to straighten it? I am clueless in this matter so forgive me if i sounds dumb...lol

You try to open it up so it forms an elongated "S".

Ok got it, now to figure what horse shoe a newbie should start with. :unsure

Whats the required technique in bending the shoe? Do you try and close the ends together or open it up and try to straighten it? I am clueless in this matter so forgive me if i sounds dumb...lol

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=1878

theres a link of Dan P bending one. I think this is the only way to do it, but if anyone knows any variations of how to post it up.

I look at a lot of these guys on here and there feats of strength. And i say to myself i got a long,long way to go. :(

I recently acquired some horseshoes from a farrier, and around the same time bought a few 00s and 0s from a farm supply store. I have not been able to get anywhere close to bending them. (I can bend blue nails and 60ds). Although it requires a different strength, I think that bending an easy horseshoe is somewhat more difficult than bending a 60d nail, maybe in the range of a grade 5 bolt.

I tried filing/grinding them down in the middle to make it easier. This so far hasn't changed things one bit. (have since decided not to use a power grinder at all for this type of thing, having had a close call with a yellow nail). After grinding off some of the iron/steel, what struck me was that the composition looked very much like steel. Maybe modern horseshoes are more steel than iron and this makes them harder?

There seem to be two techniques - the one that Brookfield describes in the Grip Masters Manual (over the thigh), and the one in the video (Dan P). The main challenge with the second technique is keeping the ends of the horseshoe from twisting in your hands. I have tried leather padding, but it is too soft. Ironmind bending pads might be better for this.

I recently acquired some horseshoes from a farrier, and around the same time bought a few 00s and 0s from a farm supply store. I have not been able to get anywhere close to bending them. (I can bend blue nails and 60ds). Although it requires a different strength, I think that bending an easy horseshoe is somewhat more difficult than bending a 60d nail, maybe in the range of a grade 5 bolt.

I tried filing/grinding them down in the middle to make it easier. This so far hasn't changed things one bit. (have since decided not to use a power grinder at all for this type of thing, having had a close call with a yellow nail).  After grinding off some of the iron/steel, what struck me was that the composition looked very much like steel. Maybe modern horseshoes are more steel than iron and this makes them harder?

There seem to be two techniques - the one that Brookfield describes in the Grip Masters Manual (over the thigh), and the one in the video (Dan P). The main challenge with the second technique is keeping the ends of the horseshoe from twisting in your hands. I have tried leather padding, but it is too soft. Ironmind bending pads might be better for this.

hi grh 122 the way i keep them from turning is to wrap the shoe tight letting a part stick past the shoe then i let this part stick down and pull with your left and right after it bends some grab it overhand with your left and pull to much wrap spins in your hand you need to feel the flat spot on the shoe keep at it you will get it

thanks Dan, I'll give this a try.

I have about 50 horseshoes that I bought from a guy on Ebay for $25 or so. I don't know what size they are or whatever, all I know is I'm a long way from bending them!

Does anyone know how to find the size of the horseshoe? It's about 5/16" thick and 3" wide at the opening, and the metal is 5/8" wide. Any other measurements I might need?

I have about 50 horseshoes that I bought from a guy on Ebay for $25 or so. I don't know what size they are or whatever, all I know is I'm a long way from bending them!

Does anyone know how to find the size of the horseshoe? It's about 5/16" thick and 3" wide at the opening, and the metal is 5/8" wide. Any other measurements I might need?

I looked on ebay and didnt see any for sale that were real horseshoes, whatd you type in to search for cyclops? I put horseshoes in but nothing worhtwhile came up.

I can't remember what I searched for, I've had these things sitting around for several months. The seller's name was jecharms.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...item=-1&frm=289

I don't think he's selling them on Ebay any more but I googled him and found some forum called Hobart Welders and this guy made a post that jecharms has thousands of horseshoes left, he just hasn't put them on Ebay recently. It includes some contact info for jecharms.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/showpo...430&postcount=4

I found these looking through my girlfriends vet supply catalogue, the site is http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PG...92-00b0d0204ae5 it may be kind of expensive since they're new but you get between 38-48 shoes per keg depending on size the 00's are 4 3/4 long and 4 3/8's wide and the biggest ones, the 1 are 5 9/32 long and 4 15/16's wide. I'm still working on the used ones I found around her barn, shoes are definitely a good time though. Hope this helps. -Kevin

Now I know hardly anything about horseshoes. I got some Diamond Brand Classic #1 and have managed to "kink" it an inch or so but these are really hard and I haven't got one yet. I got some St. Croix #2 Ultra Lights and can bend these, my technique stinks but I have done a few now and it wasn't too bad. So unless someone chimes in that knows a little more, these might make a good learning shoe.