Fat Bar Pricing And Questions

Starkmann

So I'm considering buying some fat bars in a couple months. I was roaming the net doing some pricing and found some huge differences. I'm trying to figure out why and what is the best way to go.

All pricing is on dumbells because I suspect I will have to lug these to the gym as I don't have weights at home at this time and my new place won't really have any extra room.

Iron Mind - 2" $130 /pair, 2.5" $140 /pair

EliteFTS 2" $130 /bar

Fat Bastard 2", 2.5", 3" $40 / bar $75/pair

I'm not sure I understand the enormous price difference. From what I can see on the webpages and guess about the bars the biggest difference is in the handles. Iron mind uses rubber, EFS uses knurled steel and FB uses unknurled steel tubing. Since I am most interested in using these for curls and raises, giving the forearms a serious once over in the process I figure the unknurled tubing of FB is just fine, especially for the price.

I was also wondering about the different sizes. I was thinking that I should just go or the 3" and not screw around with the lower diameters, any suggestions?

All of these companies will give you a quality product, but if you're working on a budget dumbells are easy to make or have made for you. Just do a search and you'll find tons of threads telling you how. As far as size goes, just depends. I have 2" and 2 3/8" dumbells and use both quite a bit, so it's up to you.

Make your own man. Get a length of schedule 40 1.5" inner diameter pipe. Put a sleeve of schedule 40 2" diameter pipe over it for the handle. Weld it in place or clamp it in place. That's it.

IF you don't make your own. I would go with the FBBC stuff. They work just as well as anything you will get and John is a great guy.

Edited by nickr104

FBBC handles don't include collars but they are still the best deal around except for do it yourself. I just saw a 300# Olympic set for $139 - no way I can justify that for a set of DB handles and collars.

Go with the FB, hands down. You can use the spring collars at the gym on them as well.

As for size, if you're going to get a workout for your bi's or delts then 3" might be a bit big. 2.5" is a good size, or even 2" if your not that great at thickbar.

I may be asking the impossible but can someone give me a general idea of the difference between the standard olympic bar, 2" and 3". Objective of subjective either way. Thanks

Does anyone know about the quality of Brute Strength thick DBs? They're $35.99 each for the 2.5" DBs.

[/quote

The Brute Strength 2.5 thick dumbbells are excellent in quality. I have dropped mine a few times with no damage whatsoever. Bear in mind that the handles are not knurled, though that shouldn't be an isue if you're working your grip.

If money is the issue, make them yourself - it's very easy to do and is MUCH cheaper. What you are doing is trading your time and labor for someone elses - determine which you have the most of. Also think about what you need - for mostly grip work - you may only need one DB instead of 2 or go with one each of 2 sizes. John's at FBBC are real nice - I've not seen Brutes but these things are very simple to make - it would be hard to do it wrong.